Search

Mega-lines at OAK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2001, 9:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Mega-lines at OAK

Last Monday I got to OAK at 5:30 AM for a 6:30 AM flight. The security check was WAY out the door, about 150 yards long in all. It took about 30 minutes to get through. At least they appeared to have the line length stabilized (not growing) by 6 AM. Next time I'll try entering via Terminal 1's security checkpoint; I hear the line is shorter. I'll let you know.

The baggage check-in lines seemed normal, for what that's worth.

When I arrived at OAK at 6 PM today (Thursday), there were no appreciable security lines . Anybody know if the long lines are strictly an early-morning problem?

Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nsx:
Anybody know if the long lines are strictly an early-morning problem?
</font>
I only have my own anecdotes, but Wednesday last week the lines at LAX Terminal 1 at 5:10 am were fairly long (with only 2 of 4 checkpoints open then, but by 5:20 am 3 of 4 were open), while Sunday around 1:30 pm (when I was walking out after the return trip) they were very short.
I presume they only have 1 of 4 checkpoints open in the middle of the night? So it makes me wonder if they switch from 1 to 2, then from 2 to 3, etc, a bit too late to keep the first-flights-out lines moving briskly?
Old Oct 1, 2001, 10:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The OAK lines were long again this morning (Monday 10/1/01). Terminal 1's security line was out to the front door and snaking in front of the ticket counters. Terminal 2's line looked shorter, but only because it doubled back on itself twice! Several hundred people waited outside, and it took me 45 minutes.

Baggage check-in at Terminal 2 also had a long line. If you don't bring your itinerary with you, or if you are checking luggage, you are really hosed. If you have two people, split up to wait in both lines at the same time.

I got the the gate just after they closed the door to the jetway, but they reopened it for me. 47 pax on the plane, and I got another precious 50 minutes of sleep. I could get used to these empty planes, but somehow I don't think it will last...

The AM line at LAX Terminal 1 was only 10-15 minutes (I asked). And pedestrian access there remains open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.