Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated WN Hawai'i rumors thread (post-ATA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated WN Hawai'i rumors thread (post-ATA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-h...jvHdLLYyiQhDsA

Yep, I knew it.

Hawaii only after a ton of CPs obtained in 2017 (Marriott Travel Packages, CA resident offer) expire in a couple months.

Haha
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Will the proving flights show up at https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a.../wn-swa/routes before they happen, or does that only show actual scheduled flights that one can purchase online?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-h...jvHdLLYyiQhDsA

Yep, I knew it.

Hawaii only after a ton of CPs obtained in 2017 (Marriott Travel Packages, CA resident offer) expire in a couple months.

Haha
Yea, I called it too. Thanks for the link. Any ideas how long this takes:

4. Etops certification update. SWA has been working on this process for 12 months. Regulatory reviews of manuals is completed. Procedures are moving into demonstration phase, starting with “table top exercises,” then the validation flights. That followed by training. Once they get ETOPS, they are ready to go and will within days start sales. They expect to fly within no more than one month of obtaining certification.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
This kills me. What is there left to prove & test? The plane flies no differently over water then land. Its unlikely they are going to intentionally ditch one to make sure the life rafts deploy property. Train the pilots as to the point of no return mark and to ditch in the direction of the swells (and on top of one) and call it a day...
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tmiw
Will the proving flights show up at https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a.../wn-swa/routes before they happen, or does that only show actual scheduled flights that one can purchase online?
ETOPS proving flights will probably be 89XX flights, and I’m guessing they’ll show on FR24 when the plans are uploaded to ATC.

Originally Posted by joshua362
This kills me. What is there left to prove & test? The plane flies no differently over water then land.
It’s not that they have to prove the plane flies ok over the water (it does, and the plane doesn’t care what it flies over). They have to go prove that everything they’ve calculated on paper works in the real plane. Not to mention the ETOPS fleet has a much lower tolerance for engine troubles and inflight shutdowns, even when not operating an ETOPS route.

JDiver and roundtree like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Yea, I called it too. Thanks for the link. Any ideas how long this takes:
Based on the earnings call, I would think a month or so, maybe two at worst.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:44 am

According to sources, per federal regulations, Southwest cannot launch new flights to Hawaii until the airline has ratified contracts in place with all key worker groups.
Chicago Business Journal
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It’s not that they have to prove the plane flies ok over the water (it does, and the plane doesn’t care what it flies over). They have to go prove that everything they’ve calculated on paper works in the real plane. Not to mention the ETOPS fleet has a much lower tolerance for engine troubles and inflight shutdowns, even when not operating an ETOPS route.
Thanks, makes more sense although these can't be the first 737-XXX to make the route? Its not like the Wright Brothers starting from scratch!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The article also says Southwest disputes that federal regulations require there be a contract in place. If there were such a regulation seems the reporter could have looked it up, or the Union could have provided a reference.

I still think that the lack of a resolution with the mechanics will delay starting service to Hawaii.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Juanefny

OMG OMG cant wait!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:57 pm

Recent update on Beat of Hawaii states that flights are delayed until at least February due to a delay in ETOPs approval. Interesting tidbits though are that Hilo (ITO) service is being considered and LAX flights may start earlier than expected (summer 2019?).

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-h...irline-update/
roundtree likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TomKozski
Beat of Hawaii states that flights are delayed until at least February due to a delay in ETOPs approval.
FAA sign-off on ETOPS certificate (required for Hawaii) has been delayed for up to 90 days.
They should attribute that. The FAA is their source? They claim that WN "has gone silent." Any oversight agency talking to a travel blog and not the Dallas/Chicago Business Journal is beyond strange.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
A few more tidbits about Hawaii service. Interview with GK this week:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-ready-to-roll
N830MH likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
A few more tidbits about Hawaii service. Interview with GK this week:
Interview with GK 25-Jan-2018:

"We are pleased with the progress made thus far to obtain authorization from the FAA for Extended Operations (ETOPS) to operate between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands later this year."
CAPA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.