Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Fare Totaling EXACTLY $100 or $200

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Need Fare Totaling EXACTLY $100 or $200

Here goes: I'm looking for a Southwest fare - after all taxes/fees etc - that equals exactly $100 or $200, I guess $150 would be OK also. The cities involved don't matter, it can be one-way or roundtrip and a refundable fare would be preferred but not mandatory.

I know this a weird request but any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: WN CP
I'll bite. Why?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:48 am

$89 base on a one-way non-stop comes to $99.50.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I'll bite. Why?
I have a large denomination WN gift card, I want to keep some of the funds and give the remainder as a gift to a friend - would prefer to give nice even amount like $400 rather than a wacky odd amount like $401.50.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I am fairly certain that every fare after taxes and fees comes out to whatever and 50 cents. That is just the way they calculate their base fares.

OK, I played with it some more and I am not correct. Base fare plus 'US taxes' is always and even number. That leaves 'PFC' and 'security fee'. Those fees are sometimes even numbers and sometimes 50 cents. So you need airport combinations with the correct number of stops ( because there is a PFC and security fee for every stop - however the base fare does not change depending on the number of stops ) so that the PFC and security fee come out to an even number. Then you need the correct base fare. Good luck.

Obviously, I have way too much time this morning.

Last edited by lougord99; Jul 5, 2008 at 9:59 am
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:54 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Why do you mention that a refundable fare would be preferred? If I understand correctly, you want to make a dummy flight purchase to siphon off some of the dollars on the large denomination gift card before giving it away. Is that correct? You'll have the same one year expiry for the siphoned off funds whether you purchase a refundable or non-refundable fare.

The final total for any particular stated fare can vary based on where you land, and it changes as airports increase their facility charges. (For example, a $64 fare I purchased in June was $73 total then, $74.50 total now.) It could take an awful lot of searching to find a fare (or combination of fares) to come to exactly $100, $150, or $200. To save yourself a lot of trouble, why not approach it one of these two ways:
  1. If you are relatively sure your friend will travel within a year, pick a destination you think your friend might want to go (maybe you even already know) and just buy the ticket. Explain it is fully changeable with no fees if used within one year.
  2. Just find some random itinerary that comes to about $10 to $20 over the amount which you want to siphon off the card. Buy yourself a new gift card that exactly covers the difference. Purchase the itinerary you found, applying first the new small gift card, then the large gift card. Example: You find a routing that comes to $112.50; buy a $12.50 gift card; wait 12 hours for Email delivery of the gift card; purchase the $112.50 routing applying all of the $12.50 gift card and then $100 of the large gift card.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
That is a wacky reason to spend the time. Friend would not care if it is some oddball amount, I would not think.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Friend might also be perturbed that he's getting a castoff gift card that's been used already.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
That is a wacky reason to spend the time. Friend would not care if it is some oddball amount, I would not think.
You are correct, still if I were to receive a birthday gift of say $41.50 - as opposed to typical round amount like $40 - I would think it to be a bit odd.

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Why do you mention that a refundable fare would be preferred? You'll have the same one year expiry for the siphoned off funds whether you purchase a refundable or non-refundable fare.[/LIST]
Good point.

Originally Posted by ftnoob
[*]Just find some random itinerary that comes to about $10 to $20 over the amount which you want to siphon off the card. Buy yourself a new gift card that exactly covers the difference. Purchase the itinerary you found, applying first the new small gift card, then the large gift card. Example: You find a routing that comes to $112.50; buy a $12.50 gift card; wait 12 hours for Email delivery of the gift card; purchase the $112.50 routing applying all of the $12.50 gift card and then $100 of the large gift card.[/LIST]
That's an excellent idea - I pride myself on normally being able to think outside the box but I would have never thought of this one. That's what I will do.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Not sure if this is what ConciergeMike meant, but a southwestgiftcard in an odd dollar amount could look like a castoff, unless it came to exactly the amount required to purchase a particular itinerary the recipient has been eyeing (and such an amount would be hard to nail down). Otherwise, I don't think it is possible to tell that a southwestgiftcard has been partially depleted. IIRC, when you use it or check the balance, the original full amount is not displayed anywhere.

yanxfann, thanks, glad you liked the idea. A gift consultant would probably say my suggestion #1 would make for a more thoughtful and personal gift. (Others might just call that old-fashioned nonsense.)
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yanxfann
I have a large denomination WN gift card, I want to keep some of the funds and give the remainder as a gift to a friend - would prefer to give nice even amount like $400 rather than a wacky odd amount like $401.50.
Wow. I'd take any amount in that range, no matter how wacky.

Even $666.

I gotta get some new, wealthier friends.

To be serious, couldn't you use some oddball amount to bring it down to a desired even figure?

Like if it's got $486.97 on it, use exactly $86.97 the next time you are buying a ticket, putting the rest on a CC or other gift card. Unless, I suppose, there is time pressure and you have to do something immediately.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
toomanybooks made a good point
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Here goes: I'm looking for a Southwest fare - after all taxes/fees etc - that equals exactly $100 or $200, I guess $150 would be OK also. The cities involved don't matter, it can be one-way or roundtrip and a refundable fare would be preferred but not mandatory.

I know this a weird request but any help would be appreciated.
LAS-LAX on 24July: as I type this, there are two flights with "Wanna Get Away" fares of $90 that total exactly $100 when PFC, segment and security taxes added. Note, if you want exactly $200 you would need to book this for two passengers or find another date with the same fare. The flight in the other direction (LAX-LAS) has a total fare of $100.50 due to the higher PFC at LAX.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Then consider me your new "wacky odd friend".
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
My guess is.. he is regifting to a woman and he doesn't want her to know and any number other than an even amount will tip her off...

Just a hunch... I could be wrong....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.