Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN CP
Five BS passengers on my flight this morning. GA started A1-30 by asking them to come forward first.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
BS will be successful. Why? For a bit more money that business people have their company pay, they get the free drink, early boarding (good chance at Exit Row), and extra RR credit. If people were really trying to save their companies money, they could stay at Motel 6, or even Fairfield. But I see lots in Marriott, Hilton, etc. Why? Co. is paying. Many will admit if they were on their own dime, they would be at a Fairfield.

Note if they paid Refundable Fare and then claimed the $4 drink on expense report, they probably would not get it approved.

For me, who has 0 company travel, I will likely never use BS. But for the targeted audience, it will likely generate extra revenue at minor cost to WN.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The BS concept will generate some additional revenue from exisitng WN customers. I don't see it converting ANY new customers from the competition. So, yes, it will be successful, but to what degree, I don't think even WN knows.

But, I think WN is at risk and may give up some of that BS revenue gain by driving off the discretionary flyer.

As a business traveller, when I have checked WN fares over the past few months, I have always found cheaper fares for the same travel on other airlines. And the discretionary flyer, who is more price sensitive (and will not likely be concerened about a change fee, as their plans don't change as much as the business traveller) is going to start looking around more and finding WN isn't the low fare leader they thought they were.

I have flown WN less and less over the years as their low-fare reputation doesn't live up to the reality, and am not in the least intrigued by the BS strategy. I'm fortunate to have too many other good options in the markets I travel.

WN may find it winds up not making any more money with BS after all, if the leisure traveller looks, and books, elsewhere.

Last edited by ryerflyer; Dec 7, 2007 at 10:20 pm
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
A bit confusing at first, but getting the hang...

For frequent fliers the new procedure will become second nature. The infrequent fliers might have problems...so many signs, so many arrows. For the most part people are courteous and police themselves. It reminds me of grade school when we had to line up alphabetical order

I found it saves time. I won't worry about losing my place in line if I want to grab a coffee or make a pit stop.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ryerflyer
The BS concept will generate some additional revenue from exisitng WN customers. I don't see it converting ANY new customers from the competition.
IMHO Business Select will indeed draw customers from other airlines. A guaranteed non-middle seat near the front (or wherever else you like) is more important to some people than an iffy upgrade. Even UA's Economy Plus cannot guarantee you a non-middle seat.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:29 pm

nsx, I agree. Even if WN does cost a bit more (and I am not sure) for fully refundable fares, the BS fare almost assures the purchaser an Exit row seat by being one of first on (unless there are thru pax). At least, so far, it appears there are not too many BS pax. And for sure can get a window or aisle up front.

Unless you are Elite, I do not think you can get an Exit row on AA or UA as these are reserved for the upper tiers.

And BS fare does give you one major advantage within WN over regular Full Fare. You will get an early A BP if you change flights close to departure time -- otherwise likely a B or C.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
IMHO Business Select will indeed draw customers from other airlines. A guaranteed non-middle seat near the front (or wherever else you like) is more important to some people than an iffy upgrade. Even UA's Economy Plus cannot guarantee you a non-middle seat.
I agree. Just ***one*** teenie thing more would cause me to switch back to WN and that's a FF security line. Flying out of PHX, WN security can be a nightmare unless you have FF status to get through security.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by loboclone
After 4 weeks of being part of the WN expeirment here is this former loyal customers observations:
1. GA and customers can't count and don't care. Had A-31, A-36 and A-26 ahead of me again Sunday PDX-ABQ. My wife was A-25(CP) and I was A-16.
2. Last week I had a WN gate with no Poles with A,B,C, nothing (ABQ). It was a cattle call of sorts.
3. After 4 weeks I have seen only 2 BS fares ahead of me.
4. GA really don't care and don't like the process. Worst part they can't count and sleep in bathubs (Spinless). I made a protest in PDX and was told" I can't do everything"! Why does my wife on CP must behind me 10 folks and the other go ahead of me?
5. My company has already said " NO BS WN Fares", travel dept isn't buying in and neither am I.
6. WM has spent millions on this mess, I give it 6 months before Gary K and Collen wake up and smell disaster equal to the "New Coke" debacle.

In the my traveling future WN losses are UA and FT gains, I am A-list and 200 RR credits a year (CP for 9 years). I am figuring out the FT FF program today, looks like my first FT freebie in january. need 2 more legs on UA for freebie. Wn is out!

I agree. I just flew DAL-ABQ-OAK last night - first time since they made the changes. I thought it was a "cluster f*!k" and a total waste.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KevAZ
I agree. Just ***one*** teenie thing more would cause me to switch back to WN and that's a FF security line. Flying out of PHX, WN security can be a nightmare unless you have FF status to get through security.
CO has a no-middle seat guarantee; the seats in front are reserved for FF members, I can (and have) used FF miles to fly to dozens of more interesting place around the globe than I could on WN (as well as anyplace WN flies), and I can use the preferred FF security line at most airports to save a great deal of time.

So, BS really won't be that attractive to many other airlines FF members. It's really only better compared to what WN, not what most other airlines, offered.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:00 pm

ryerflyer, i'm so 100% agree with all your postings regarding wn. my hubby fly wn practically every week from hou-dal with the cheapest fares (always purchase thru schedule whenever wn has a sale). but it doesn't mean he's not a biz traveler just because he pays the cheapest fare. he's just more of sensible biz traveler.

i think that the bs fares may attract the occassional/last minute biz travelers because may be a little cheaper than other airlines. and for frequent biz travelers, i'm sure, just like my hubby, they may already schedule and booked the flights way ahead and or committed to their airline which may provide much more than a free drink and measily .25 point.

i can see the new boarding procedure may work in the long run if all gas follow the procedure, but for the bs fares, i'll give it until spring break before wn call it quit.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:45 am

Is this true or not?

ON legacy a last minute change (within 12 hr.) to a different flight will likely land you in a poor seat (middle or ??) if the flight is 95% full during high business travel - FF or not.

Yet on WN, a BS fare will still usually get you on board as one of 1st 10 pax and you have a good choice of seats.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Is this true or not?

ON legacy a last minute change (within 12 hr.) to a different flight will likely land you in a poor seat (middle or ??) if the flight is 95% full during high business travel - FF or not.

Yet on WN, a BS fare will still usually get you on board as one of 1st 10 pax and you have a good choice of seats.
Not true. I repeatedly have changed flights 30 minutes to 12 hours prior many times on AA this year and have never been stuck in a middle seat, in fact, almost all flights I retained my upgrade to first. The recent problem I'm having with SW are fares. I need 2 segments to kill another reward ticket and whether it is 2 weeks or 1 day prior SW has been quite a bit higher than the other airlines for the same route I'm trying to fly. I hope BS is not leading to higher overall fares.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kh105000
I hope BS is not leading to higher overall fares.
Its purpose is just the opposite: to keep discount fares down by collecting more from business travelers.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: WN CP
Three BS passengers on my flight this afternoon. No special mention from the GA.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by nsx
Its purpose is just the opposite: to keep discount fares down by collecting more from business travelers.
While adding $100 million in the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.