Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Observations on 11/10 (LAX) and 11/12 (LAS)

At LAX Saturday, the GA sent two pax back to their numerical place in line when they were approximately 20 positions out of sequence.

At LAS this morning, there was a WN agent walking through the gate area before boarding began, explaining the new boarding procedure to pax. Everyone was seated and orderly while I was in the boarding area. There was 1 person in the A1-5, A6-10 and A11-15 group boarding positions. The gate agent called for A1 to A15 as the first boarding group after the preboards. After the one person boarded, the agent called for A16-30. I was in the A16-20 group and was the third person to board the plane.

I agree that except perhaps for high density business routes (SFO-LAX comes to mind), I don't expect to see 15 people in the A1-15 boarding section for a long time.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by lougord99
WRONG!! You are wrong in so many ways. If BS cannot board ahead of all us peons and A-list peons, then why did they pay extra for business select. If A-list cannot board ahead of all us other A peons the why does A-list exist.
A bit less vocal, please. Peanuts said pax were to line up in groups of 5, like the poles show. Once lined up 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 all in one long line, then board. Worked like a charm in DAL 10 days ago.

I agree those of us in the know, and there will be lots, will check with others around them to see people are in order -- or else point out that some belongs further back (or forward??). As most A16-30 folks will be OLCI sharpies, they will control line easily.

Also, all WN needs to do is have 1 employee per 5 gates to help sort of the "line up". Then move to another gate. Should not take more than a few minutes to go thru the line -- with GA help.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:02 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Everyone above that gets upset when they are really 12-15 slots ahead of where they think they are.
Has anyone seen folks get upset that there are less people in front of them than they thought? I certainly didn't see anyone getting upset about it on my flight last night ...
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I agree those of us in the know, and there will be lots, will check with others around them to see people are in order -- or else point out that some belongs further back (or forward??). As most A16-30 folks will be OLCI sharpies, they will control line easily.
I don't think the onus should be on us passengers to police the line. I, for one, have no interest in confronting a fellow passenger. WN has created this new system and it is incumbent upon its own employees to enforce it properly and vigorously, without exception.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:08 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
A bit less vocal, please. Peanuts said pax were to line up in groups of 5, like the poles show. Once lined up 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 all in one long line, then board. Worked like a charm in DAL 10 days ago.
Sorry, I was a little over the top there. I was upset about some other things.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: WN, BA, Kimpton Hotels, Starwood Hotels
No worries here. I'm a little more thick skinned than to be offended by a message board posting

Just pointing out that if customers follow the rules in lining up, then the Biz Select and A-List crowd still get the benefit because they are at the front of the group of 30 that is boarding. IMHO while there will always be a few self-serving line jumpers out there - the majority of rational adults will line up where they are supposed to.

It's interesting that we have one thread discussing that the system must be enforced, while another thread is discussing that WN should allow people traveling together to board with the a-lister regardless of their boarding pass. Not sure how you would do both
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I don't think the onus should be on us passengers to police the line. I, for one, have no interest in confronting a fellow passenger. WN has created this new system and it is incumbent upon its own employees to enforce it properly and vigorously, without exception.
It shouldn't, but as with so many lines everywhere, those in line do much of the "policing". I have seen this in past WN Gate Lines where someone trys to merge in the middle and is politely told line is behind them.

So if 3 people with A 35-38 get in front of you with A 18 and you see their BPs, you just let them board in front of you??? SAT, I doubt that. If you let them cut and say nothing, your choice, If not, you are policing the line.

I have seen this type of self-policing 50+ times this year, and never a problem.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:05 am

Not an issue. I also do the same sometimes. I know nsx tries to keep the board civil - and it is a well behaved Forum - and many of us try to help out.

You are a good contributor and I appreciate your input.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:11 am

I haven't thought this through completely, but I don't see why SW is apparently so wedded to the number part of one's boarding pass.

It seems to me they could have accomplished the same goal by issuing a certain boarding pass letter (or combo-letter) to all BS-ers (I don't know...call it a "LUV Pass"); "A"s to the A-list (however many that would be for each particular flight); and then issue "B"s and "C"s to those not on the A-list (issued in order of check-in times, but with no numbers on them, so that one "B" is as good as another "B," but it is better than a "C" in terms of boarding priority).

Under this scenario, your high-payers still get priority boarding and don't have to line up (since there are so few of them they are essentially guaranteed a good seat), the frequent travelers get to board reasonably early and have a decent shot at a good seat (presumably just as good of a shot as they currently have with the numbered boarding passes), and the "B" and "C" folk can line up to their heart's content (just like they currently do). And it would be easier for the GA to monitor everyone....

Seems to me SW just made everything a lot more complicated than it really needs to be for no apparent reason.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler

....and then issue "B"s and "C"s to those not on the A-list (issued in order of check-in times, but with no numbers on them, so that one "B" is as good as another "B," but it is better than a "C" in terms of boarding priority).

.... and the "B" and "C" folk can line up to their heart's content (just like they currently do). And it would be easier for the GA to monitor everyone....

Seems to me SW just made everything a lot more complicated than it really needs to be for no apparent reason.
Because part of their goal is to prevent people from lining up as they always have. They want to get rid of any vestiges of the 'cattle call' thought process that some business travelers still have about the airline.

But I agree that it would be a good idea to have some other designation for BS and A-listers rather than low A numbers.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:24 am

They want to get rid of any vestiges of the 'cattle call' thought process that some business travelers still have about the airline.
Yes, but if you a BS-er, or a frequent traveler (and thus an "A-list"-er), and therefore most likely a coveted "business traveler," then you really wouldn't be subject to the cattle call. If I knew that I had a boarding pass that effectively gave me priority boarding, why would I care if others holding different/lower/less worthy boarding passes line up? What they want/need to do doesn't affect me in the slightest.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The reason was to eliminate any benefit from waiting in line. Most customers didn't like to wait in line, and it was probably one of the top complaints.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:19 am

I thought this also, but...

Reason to assign A BP to BS and A listers was to have 2 lines with about 30 in each line up 3-5 min before boarding (using the numbered poles) -- and only one announcement to board for the first 30.

Otherwise, there would be many not qualified who go to Gate when BS / A Listers are called.

Bad enough with blue sleeve pre boards, but more confusion if others are given priority with seperate boarding. Also A Listers do not show this on their BPs, as far as I can tell.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I haven't thought this through completely, but I don't see why SW is apparently so wedded to the number part of one's boarding pass.

It seems to me they could have accomplished the same goal by issuing a certain boarding pass letter (or combo-letter) to all BS-ers (I don't know...call it a "LUV Pass"); "A"s to the A-list (however many that would be for each particular flight); and then issue "B"s and "C"s to those not on the A-list (issued in order of check-in times, but with no numbers on them, so that one "B" is as good as another "B," but it is better than a "C" in terms of boarding priority).

Under this scenario, your high-payers still get priority boarding and don't have to line up (since there are so few of them they are essentially guaranteed a good seat), the frequent travelers get to board reasonably early and have a decent shot at a good seat (presumably just as good of a shot as they currently have with the numbered boarding passes), and the "B" and "C" folk can line up to their heart's content (just like they currently do). And it would be easier for the GA to monitor everyone....

But they were trying to solve the "wait in line" issue. To me, waiting in a WN line is as stressful as non-reving when I worked at AA. There's nothing like standing in the A line in direct sunlight in PHX in 115 degree summer heat for 30 minutes before boarding.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I honestly don't think anyone is going to stop flying Southwest because of the new boarding process, except possibly for some families who can't handle sitting further back in the plane. Those who vow not to fly them again will just end up returning next time Southwest has a good fare where they need to go. If someone is so insecure they can't handle being A17, then I think the new boarding process will be the least of their concerns.

I also hate waiting in line, so this new change is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. And I did see the gate agents actually enforcing numbers last night at SJC (turning away someone with #57 when they were boarding 40-45).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.