Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Rarely, if ever, have I seen a GA really enforce numeric sequence. Sometime pax do so themselves - but not often. In fact, last night I just stood near the A-1 area with my A-17 BP. A small group up there. I just boarded about #3, but few had thier BP out with number showing, so hard to tell who went out of order. The GA may have turned someone back if they had an A 30 or higher and tried to board in the first 5, but I do know people just sort of get in a spot and GA does not turn them back often.

I get get the Exit row.

Has anyone seen anyone with, say, an A 20 get held up if boarding before the A16-19 people?

The GA should announce for those in line to get out their BPs and check to see if they are in right order.

Big deal? Probably not often. But if one misses the exit row because of a few line cutters on a long flight, it may be. But I do agree, other than that, no big different in seats.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:20 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
In fact, last night I just stood near the A-1 area with my A-17 BP.
I guess WN may have to put their foot down when even people who do know better don't bother following the simple directions ...
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Rarely, if ever, have I seen a GA really enforce numeric sequence....Has anyone seen anyone with, say, an A 20 get held up if boarding before the A16-19 people?
I had same situation in the "B" section. No enforcement.

Big deal? Probably not often. But if one misses the exit row because of a few line cutters on a long flight, it may be. But I do agree, other than that, no big different in seats.
(not arguing with you, just an observation)

Then why bother with the specific numbers at all, and just do A/B/C/D like in the past (with A split into A 1-15 and B 16-45 or whatever cutoff). They chose to assign specific positions at the gate rather than assign seats, with all the money it entailed to add the bars/pillars etc. If they won't enforce it then what's the point?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:18 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Hertz Five Star, Southwest A-List Preferred, Marriot Gold
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the new system. . . I especially like being rewarded for checking in early/ booking biz select.

I also enjoy watching the games people play to ensure they get plenty of room (e.g. Sitting in the middle seat).
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:09 am

Line jumpers really, REALLY bother me. When the rules are not enforced, I immediately bring the line jumping to the jumpers' attention and don't usually let up until I guilt them into queuing properly. There are still those who not only jump, but launch into profanity and threats and 'mind your own business' when they get busted. THOSE are the 'me firsters' who SWA needs to deny boarding.

That would send a message. Perhaps they ought to have a credit card swiping machine at the gate, then upcharge the cutters before they board for the privilege of cutting.

At any rate, consistent enforcement by SWA personnel would send the message better (and more professionally) than the way I do.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It can be inconsistant on the same flight. I boarded as A-19 and the agent held back people in front of me who were in A-28, A-29. My wife boarded on the same flight as A-42 and she had 50s board in front of her, sitting in the wrong spot.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by markwtaylor
Those types generally do refuse to be considerate of anyone, yet expect everyone else to be considerate to them, because W said that they are better than everyone else. So, if everyone is better than everyone else, doesn't that mean we are all the same?
Huh??
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Funny, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought the wind was blowing the other way, as - not having flown Southwest for weeks - I believe I see marked improvement since November 8. (And November 8 was marked improvement over November 7.)

I was looking forward to adding that there may have been some deep wisdom in launching the new paradigm just before holiday season -- e.g., it probably was never going to be easy, but that way, they educated the most casual travelers in the shortest possible time. And if this were deliberate: ^

Actually, the line jumpers I saw in November were predominantly casual travelers who were either ignorant or still felt empowered to feign it. All the line jumpers that I saw last week were businessmen who stood and walked forward with purpose when A1-30 were called -- only to be asked to stand aside as the rest of us filed past and looked at them.

Still, only ones and twos of the legitimate BSers on each flight.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:15 pm

In a dream world, the ga would enforce every time.

But if not, I wouldn't stare at another pax bp and ask them to move to the right place in line. But if I saw somebody quite out of order standing in "my" section of 5, I would certainly initiate a conversation with my travel companion about what numbers we are and where we should be standing, and possibly play dumb and ask the offender what number he was. That works wonders for enforcement and is non-confrontational.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I have seen the numbers being enforced. I had a 20-something number and saw someone with 30-something try to board. They were told to stand to the side as we walked past them.

Alas, it is hard to say how well it is enforced. If somebody has 30-something and they stand in the A-10 position and Southwest hasn't sold #10 through #15 of biz select, how would a 20-something person know that, unless you go up and personally inspect everybody's boarding pass? Not something I'm going to do.

There must be enforcement if they want to preserve the value of biz select and A-list. They are creating value essentially out of nothing (i.e., everybody gets the same flight), but to board first is a "no cost" luxury.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by nsx
Spots 1-15 then typically contain a few line jumpers holding numbers higher than A20. Sometimes the ops agent will send them to the back of the A1-30 group, most of the time not.
Yes, the problem persist and ops folks still can't' count so why would Pax learn math?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:46 pm

Has anyone ever gone up to a gate agent and asked how the new boarding process will be enforced for your particular flight? Me neither

But I think I will try it for a flight in June, BUF/LAS.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:09 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Hi everyone,
I will share your comments with our Leaders, both the good and the bad.
Brian
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:36 pm

I get a chuckle out of the boarding procedures everytime I walk by a Southwest gate and see the people lined up by the little signs. It is definitely an improvement over the previous cattle call procedures, but it still won't entice me to fly Southwest.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by TTT103
I get a chuckle out of the boarding procedures everytime I walk by a Southwest gate and see the people lined up by the little signs. It is definitely an improvement over the previous cattle call procedures, but it still won't entice me to fly Southwest.
You'll only see this for a minute or two before actual boarding and during boarding. There's a whole lot longer standing at the gate on other airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.