Wiki Posts
Search

Whose seat is it?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 7:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Whose seat is it?

Okay, I'm new to the Southwest seating etiquette (if any).. but tell me what you think.

Last week, I was flying TPA-MDW and the flight was about 60-70% full. I was boarding in the A group and generally aimed for a window seat in the first couple rows (yes, I want to get off the plane asap). Well, the first couple rows were filled with 1 person on each side occupying the middle seats. Finally, I chose row 3, whose occupant was in the middle seat with his briefcase in the window seat.

(This is what I don't understand - if he didn't purchase 2 seats, then why try to hog a seat that can be taken by someone else? It reminded me of public transportation.)

I take the aisle seat so the boarding line can continue.. and when things clear up, I ask if I can have the window seat. He said that he was planning on sitting in the window but wanted to 'discourage' others from sitting in the row with us.

Okay, at this point.. who would get the window seat? Would I get it because he wasn't sitting there when I asked for it, even though he intended on sitting there later? Or does he get the window seat because he (or his bag) was there first?

In the end, I kept the aisle seat and he moved to his window seat.. but I find this behavior terribly childish.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: WN CP
The seat was his. Had you pressed the issue, he would have moved to the window, and you would have still been in the aisle.

With regard to the seat gaming, it's simply a fact of flying WN. I recommend you read the wiki FAQ entry on seating, particularly the bit about "Unite the Couple." You will then be armed to combat the most common seat gaming tactic.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...eating_game.3F
Old May 11, 2008, 8:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If someone wants to save a seat, the best way is to pick a less desirable row, certainly not an exit row. And don't try it at all if the monitor shows close to 137 people on the flight. That will probably put the biggest customer in your middle seat.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: SWA
The answer is very closely related to the mileage accumulation term used throughout FT regarding miles earned actually flying vs. miles earned via credit cards, hotels, or rental cars.

Yes, you all knew it was coming...

He who has BUTT IN SEAT owns the seat

sorry, couldn't resist
Old May 11, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Apparently everyone in Tampa has learned the game

I was doing this today (hogging the row), but i certainly don't do it at the front of the plane nor do i not scoot over the second someone tries to sit down.

In short, i want your happy butt to goto an empty row first. I have sat on the plane and had someone sit next to me when there was an empty row on every side of me (front, back, side, diagonals).

Once the plane fills up and each row has someone in it, i give up. Until then, i sit in the middle, on my cell phone (my friend is used to the calls at this point) with my elbow into the aisle seat -as if- i'm in my own world in a deep conversation.

I lasted until the finale 6 pax on this last flight. Then someone hip to my game just sat down next to me, as it was the last aisle seat on the plane. I immediately slid over, told my friend on the phone the jig was up, and me and my new "friend" at least had an empty middle seat.
Old May 12, 2008, 7:16 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think my approach next time will be to ask for the middle seat if the window is taken up by the bag/arm/elbow/leg. Believe it or not, the middle is preferable to the aisle because the aisle underseat storage is dreadful.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:44 am

Boy, I can not believe you enjoy these games. Unfortunately due to the increasing costs I have to do a cross country on WN not looking forward to the seat games.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:54 am

I find it hard to believe that people go this much out of their way to avoid sitting next to someone.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by PhxITGeek
Boy, I can not believe you enjoy these games.
Like any game, your enjoyment increases with your skill level.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JohnDunn
I find it hard to believe that people go this much out of their way to avoid sitting next to someone.
I don't know about you, but if there is going to be an empty middle on my flight, I'd much prefer it be next to me. That preference increases with flight time.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I don't know about you, but if there is going to be an empty middle on my flight, I'd much prefer it be next to me. That preference increases with flight time.
I 100% agree but some of the lengths people go through to have this happen are a bit extreme. It's the nature of flying WN. To sit in the middle seat with your briefcase on a window and try to hog the row seems very inconsiderate.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by JohnDunn
I 100% agree but some of the lengths people go through to have this happen are a bit extreme. It's the nature of flying WN. To sit in the middle seat with your briefcase on a window and try to hog the row seems very inconsiderate.
I agree on both points.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

This is really ridiculous.
Old May 12, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I must agree with the recent posters. The next step is people who blatantly lie about the seats 'Yeah I have someone sitting next to me, she's in the bathroom'. Makes flying Southwest much more of a chore than it should be.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I go back to my intial reasoning for doing it:

Why does someone have to sit next to me if there are empty rows?

For some reason the sheeple want to sit next to me, but i'd really rather be left alone and have room to stretch out.

Again, i'm not condoning it if the flight is full, but if i can see empty rows then you ought not be sitting next to me. You want to get off the plane quicker? Well, i dont want to sit next to you.

Which trivial concern is more important? More valid?

You say it's a game and people are playing it - is it any different to try and sit toward the front or to try and sit in an aisle seat or window seat? It's a seat on a plane, shouldn't you be happy sitting anywhere if a seat is open?

You do/don't want the aisle, window, upfront, in back, away from the baby, not near the fat guy, etc.. Well, i just don't want to sit next to anyone if i dont have to. It's a preference and i'm trying to get it, just as much as someone would try to get their preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.