Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fear of Flying

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: GM DL, AA, USAir, Avis Prefered, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Prefered, CRC
Fear of Flying

You'd be surprised by the number of people who suffer from a fear of flying. I have been a business flyer for almost 16 years and yet it still bothers me to an extent. At any rate, The folks at Southwest are very helpful and understanding of those who suffer from this phobia and I've heard many praises of their flight attendants and their pilots.

I am an admin for a free fear of flying sight that features a Southwest Airlines pilot who is there to answer questions people may have with regards to a fear of flying. The admins consist of pilots, business people and the everyday person that has to fly. We're all there to help give support in any way we can. Fee free to check us out at www.getonthatplane.com.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Interesting. The site could help people who are afraid of flying.

I'm a bit claustrophobic which is why I prefer aisle seats, but I've never been afraid of flying. It's one of those things that I just realize is outside of my control if something goes wrong, like an asteroid hitting the earth - nothing I can do to save myself if it were to happen.

Fortunately WN has an exemplary safety record, another reason why I fly with WN. They may be cheap on fares, but they definitely don't skimp on maintenance.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GM DL, AA, USAir, Avis Prefered, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Prefered, CRC
Yep, WN has a great safety record and many people choose to fly them due to that record. I'm a big Delta flyer myself but I have no qualms with WN whatsoever.

We get a lot of people like you that are claustraphobic. In fact, one of the other admins is a psychiatrist and she actually suffers from that a little as well. We've been able to help a whole lot of people who have a fear of flying. It's frustrating trying to find support site that doesn't want to make money as they offer to "cure" you. That's why we have made it our goal to keep the site free.

I won't bump this thread up anymore. If you know of someone that could use some support, feel free to send them our way.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I think your site is very noble, and will help very many first time fliers, as well as some regular fliers.

I'll bookmark it and pass it along when I meet fliers who are afraid of flying.

I did come across several such people during the Thanksgiving week, wish I had known about it earlier to pass along.

Thanks for the good work.

PS - I also have a fear of heights, but only when I'm exposed to the environment. On a plane my reference points are mostly internal, and when I look outside a window I still marvel at how we can stay up there so high. Thankfully both fears are not strong enough to deter my flying.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:33 pm

I'll have to check out that site, because I have a huge fear. I do fly once/sometimes twice a month but never seem to be completely comfortable with it. When I asked my doctor what was happening to me when we went thru turbulance, he said I was having a panic attack. So now an hour before every flight, I take a half of a Xanax and believe it or not, that has been working for almost three years now. I now longer have the attacks when it gets bumpy and can control my breathing a little better.

This may sound odd, but I fly mostly WN because I've gotten used to the 'flight feeling'. It seems pretty consistent between their pilots. I've used Airtran and Spirit a time or two and for some reason, at times it feels like they are putting the brakes on in mid air and I think the plane is going to do a complete free fall. Sounds odd, I know, but I've never experienced that on WN. The plane speed is very smooth and appears to be consistent, at least in my mind.
Thanks for the link!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.