3rd Party Automated Check-in shut down

Old Nov 20, 07, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
3rd Party Automated Check-in shut down

I didn't see any posts about this recently. I checked some online automated check-in sites and it looks like they've been shut down. I had just used boardfirst.com for a flight last Sunday, but looks like they're down today. Good luck checking in for all your flights, I doubt any you entered previously will be checked in for you...

Checkinsooner.com
At this time we do not support Southwest Airlines checkin
Boardfirst.com
BOARDFIRST.COM CUSTOMERS

In a lawsuit filed by Southwest Airlines against BoardFirst, the U.S. District Court in Dallas, Texas recently granted Southwest’s request for an injunction to prohibit BoardFirst from helping our customers get “A” boarding passes. Consequently, we at BoardFirst.com are no longer able to take or process your orders for our service.

I would personally like to thank all of you, our customers, for your support over the past 2 years and truly regret that we can no longer be of assistance to you. If you would like to let Southwest know how you feel about this situation, you may wish to contact its C.E.O. Gary Kelly at [email protected].

Kate Bell
President, BoardFirst.com
IBoardA.com
Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Last edited by ucsf_med; Nov 20, 07 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 20, 07, 10:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
If you find one that's still working, please be sure to post it here so that Southwest can shut it down.

But thanks for the obituary list.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:59 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
For those who missed it:

Friends of iBoardA.com and LoveCheckIn.org - it is with great regret that I must announce that Southwest is forcing us to discontinue our service. On November 11, 2007, I was notified Southwest filed suit against LoveCheckIn.org in Federal District Court in Texas and that our site must be down by 5pm(CST) for face further legal consequences. Southwest recently won a similar suit against BoardFirst.com, another Southwest check-in service, that forced them to close their site. It is important to tell you that I have done EVERYTHING I can possibly think of to continue providing our services in a way that benefits you as a traveler, Southwest as an organization and the community via social entrepreneurship and charitable giving. But after repeated attempts to work with their Manager of Business Support Projects, letters sent to several officers of the company including Executive Chairman Herb Kelleher, Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly, President Colleen Barrett and 11 others, and lastly, their legal department, Southwest refuses to work with us and support our greater mission of helping make your travel on Southwest Airlines easier while being able to contribute to charitable causes. Perhaps the writing was on the wall, but I am stubborn and wanted to follow my heart and truly thought that there would be a way to make this work for all parties involved.
Link
Old Nov 20, 07, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
If you find one that's still working, please be sure to post it here so that Southwest can shut it down.

But thanks for the obituary list.
amen
Old Nov 21, 07, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
These services are much less relevant now, with BS and A-list.

Even if they weren't shut down, they probably wouldn't make much money.
Old Nov 21, 07, 1:13 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
These services are much less relevant now, with BS and A-list.

Even if they weren't shut down, they probably wouldn't make much money.
Actually they're more relevant now because some of the "good" seats are blocked by BS and A-list, and because of the subdivided boarding groups.

In other words, if you checked in 30th in the old system, you got a better seat than you do today if you check in 30th. So now you really want to check in #1 since a bunch of people are already automatically ahead of you.

No doubt the reason Southwest shut down these sites was in anticipation of the boarding policy changes. They want the only way you increase your odds of a good seat to be by ponying up extra $$$ or travel to them, not to Kate.
Old Nov 21, 07, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justageek View Post
Actually they're more relevant now because some of the "good" seats are blocked by BS and A-list, and because of the subdivided boarding groups.

In other words, if you checked in 30th in the old system, you got a better seat than you do today if you check in 30th. So now you really want to check in #1 since a bunch of people are already automatically ahead of you.

No doubt the reason Southwest shut down these sites was in anticipation of the boarding policy changes. They want the only way you increase your odds of a good seat to be by ponying up extra $$$ or travel to them, not to Kate.
They are more relevant for infrequent WN fliers, which doesn't affect A-listers or BS fare purchasers.

If an infrequent WN flier flying economy really cares that much about boarding early, then they will log on early at 24 hours and check in.

This means the automated check-in really has very little relevance for most of us.

Most of us who care that much about early boarding are either going to be A-listers or BS fare fliers.
Old Nov 21, 07, 8:28 am

Programs: SWA RR
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
Most of us who care that much about early boarding are either going to be A-listers or BS fare fliers.
Maybe. I'm a 6 to 10 annual SWA RT kind of guy. Not enough to make the A-List, and not able to afford a BS ticket. So, I average 1.5 BIS flights per month, which I think puts me above the "infrequent WN fliers", but well below road warrior.

The new boarding system will be interesting on our next flight. Due to a medical condition, Mrs. Apple needs to preboard and I've always gone with her to assist with her carry on. And yes, Mrs. Apple's medical condition (Lymphedema) is a very hidden condition, so we might appear to be one of those who abuse the boarding policy. But we do carry a letter from her doctor just in case someone challenges us.

I'm guessing my wonderful wife will preboard while I schlep both carry-on's. Or, she will roll her carry on and put it on the seat she's holding for me, and I will move it to the overhead bin when I arrive.
Old Nov 21, 07, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
Maybe. I'm a 6 to 10 annual SWA RT kind of guy. Not enough to make the A-List, and not able to afford a BS ticket. So, I average 1.5 BIS flights per month, which I think puts me above the "infrequent WN fliers", but well below road warrior.

The new boarding system will be interesting on our next flight. Due to a medical condition, Mrs. Apple needs to preboard and I've always gone with her to assist with her carry on. And yes, Mrs. Apple's medical condition (Lymphedema) is a very hidden condition, so we might appear to be one of those who abuse the boarding policy. But we do carry a letter from her doctor just in case someone challenges us.

I'm guessing my wonderful wife will preboard while I schlep both carry-on's. Or, she will roll her carry on and put it on the seat she's holding for me, and I will move it to the overhead bin when I arrive.
Yup, just have her hold your seat for you.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 21, 07, 8:47 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
justageek is 100% correct on this one.
Old Nov 21, 07, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In all honesty, boarding early just doesn't really matter that much. Boarding before the very last group might be important, but chances are if you check in early enough (say 24 - 8 hours before the flight), you'll be in the B to early C group, which often times is more than enough to get a good seat.

Boarding early is not a good thing (see my BS fare thread) imho, I'd rather pick my seatmates than have them pick me.

Whenever I fly WN I always pick B or C. It doesn't matter to me all that much. Even when I board C there are aisle seats available for me to grab.

Cheers.
Old Nov 26, 07, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, HH Dia, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justageek View Post
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
justageek is 100% correct on this one.
I'd hardly say he's 100% correct, it depends on a multitude of factors whether or not checking in 30th would be worse under the new system than the old system including:

1) How many A-Listers and/or BS fliers are actually on your flight;
2) When you get in line if using the old system (e.g., I usually didn't bother standing in line even if I was there early and just boarded at the end of A);
3) How many pre-boarding families there are (that would have definitely pre-boarded ahead of you under the old system, but in most cases not under the new system);
4) How many of the 29 people checking in ahead of you have a pre-assigned boarding pass anyway (to make the comparison fair it should be the same 29 travelers in both scenarios, and some of the 29 travelers would be A-Listers and/or BS fare travelers or there aren't that many of either group on the flight anyway); and, of course;
5) Whether or not you are an A-Lister and/or BS fare buyer.

As an A-Lister myself, I'm pretty comfortable in saying I almost always would get a better seat under the new system than I did under the old system when I check-in 30th, so I would not say justageek is 100% correct.
Old Nov 26, 07, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Agree with Beckels. Athought I may have had A1 in old system, I would rarely (unless 4 hr. flight) stand in line more than 20 min. Most of the time, just went in as A line got short because could still get an aisle, although unlikely to get Exit unless in line 30 or more minutes.

Now, as an A lister, I usually get A16 - 22 even if I check in later and then board (at least these days) in the first 3-10, depending on BS flyers. And no waiting!

Of course, if not a status holder, you usually can get lower than A45 if you check in at the 24 hr. mark. And with only 1-5 BS flyers, still get a good seat without standing in line. It is so easy with friends, relatives, etc. to check you in if you are tied up --- so not a big deal for most not to have automated check in service.