Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by nsx
I expect that this is a system limitation common to both categories.
For the sake of BS purchasers, I hope not...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by High on Luv
Customers traveling on Business Select fares will get the first boarding passes, and Members of A-List will receive the best available boarding passes after that.
Seriously, with changes like these, SW should just go to assigned/reserved seating like everyone else.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Please reread my post. My "not more complicated" refers to RR, not seating.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree since the enhancements are perks of Rapid Rewards which happen to affect seating.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
For the sake of BS purchasers, I hope not...
I can't see how it could be otherwise. The A's are handed out in sequence, and when they're gone they're gone. At that point, mid-boarding would be the best Southwest could offer.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Seriously, with changes like these, SW should just go to assigned/reserved seating like everyone else.
Let's not rehash that one in this thread. The pros and cons of priority boarding vs. assigned seating are well known to everyone here. No single system works best for everyone.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Diamondback
Is it too much to ask Southwest to just give their high-rev customers a real status just like other airlines do currently? I realize it flies in the face of their egalitarian mantra but they are already encroaching seriously on that now.
Exactly. ^

That certainly would solve the problem of WN's most valuable travelers -- A-Listers and Business Select purchasers -- losing the benefit of priority boarding when they book late or make same-day flight changes, as many such customers inevitably do.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by nsx
One extra credit is worth $15 to $20. For an 800-mile flight, Business Select might be a very attractive alternative to the regular full fare.
Remember the good old days when legacy miles were worth 1.5 to 2.0 cents? They are now worth half of that due to the additional restrictions.

If the new "Freedom" awards cause a big reduction in "regular" award availability, then that incremental credit is worth $8 to $10.

In no instance is a Southwest award worth $640. Ever.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:24 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tino
Remember the good old days when legacy miles were worth 1.5 to 2.0 cents? They are now worth half of that due to the additional restrictions.

If the new "Freedom" awards cause a big reduction in "regular" award availability, then that incremental credit is worth $8 to $10.

In no instance is a Southwest award worth $640. Ever.
The value of a credit is greater than just the value of the awards earned for those who earn and use a Companion Pass. Valuing one WN credit at $10 is very conservative in my opinion, but I could almost buy that, while an $8 valuation ($128 for a restricted award or $256 for a Freedom award with less than half the blackout dates of the old "unrestricted" awards) is ridiculously low, especially considering the increase in ticket prices on all airlines recently.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
Flight credits only. Therefore you could be CP and not be A-list.
That would be me, with 25 segments and lots of bonus credits .

Originally Posted by FCfree
Darn... I just checked. I'm 5 segments short of 32 one-way segments for the last year, on a rolling 12-month basis.

A new concept is born: Mileage run to get yourself over the 32 one-way segment threshold on a rolling 12-month basis.

The rolling 12-month concept is interesting if you have a cluster of travel approximately one year ago. This has a different effect than someone who is trying to make Silver/Gold/Plat status on a legacy airline.
Until I read that I had a pang of regret for not taking another planned MR in October. But my credits tend to be clustered in a few months, so I would be bounced out in December or February anyways.

The new A-list really favors those who fly at least once a month, every month (or rather, 1.25x per month ).

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
to this atrocious spin, although the change itself offers a marginally better improvement over the status quo. Freedom Awards are not just twice as expensive as a non-capacity controlled award used to be, they are really four times as expensive when you factor in the elimination of the standard double credit.
Agreed. In effect, RR have now been devalued by 50% over the past 2 years (or 75% if you count the 2x bonus for online booking. The "freedom" awards are essentially equal to the old RR. Of course, many FTers had requested that WN create this award, so I guess we can't complain now that mgmt has obliged.

Originally Posted by Diamondback
I totally agree here. I'm missing the 'real' benefits of the BS program for FF's. I'm not sure I could justify on my T&E either that I chose the BS fare so that I could get a free drink.
I would have to agree. I think WN management is vastly overestimating the effect on business revenue and underestimating the loss of leisure revenue, but only time will tell.

People who fly enough to be A-listers (or who pay full fare) already know how to work the system for the A boarding card. While this may enhance their experience slightly, it won't increase revenues. Many already reserve months in advance for those weekly commutes, and won't be buying up to BS fares just for a free drink.

People who pay higher fares on legacy carriers do so because they value the benefits, namely upgrades to F, priority security lines and international awards. WN does not and will not offer any of these perks, so they are unlikely to change horses just for a free drink and a better shot at a nice coach seat. The 2x RR for transcons isn't going to enhance revenues either as most frequent business travelers get more legroom and better service from the competition.

Occasional leisure travelers such as myself are now going to take a hard look at the competition, particularly when the price is equivalent. If the choice is a middle seat on WN vs. E+ on UA, plus a more convenient airport, I'll be abandoning ship when my CP expires.

Rare leisure travelers get treated badly by most carriers, so WN will just be matching the LCD. It remains to be seen whether the cancellation of pre-boarding privileges will cause them to bolt.

Personally I am really curious as to what # I will receive when I checkin at the 24-hour mark. As a practical matter it won't make a big difference to me since I usually travel with my infant and will be boarding at the end of the A group, which is what I normally do anyway. But I think we should start a thread based on people's experiences under the new system.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 7, 2007 at 2:37 pm Reason: fix
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Since you're based in SEA, you can use the express line at the main checkpoint with your WN RR card. Or, you can show your 1K card. Same goes for PDX.

I've used my RR card in SEA before and had no problem.
I've also used my RR card successfully for 100% of my flights from PIT and flights through LAS Terminal B.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by nsx
I can't see how it could be otherwise. The A's are handed out in sequence, and when they're gone they're gone. At that point, mid-boarding would be the best Southwest could offer.
BS customers get boarding priority and maximum flexibility. Given those two benefits, in the event of a flight change I would expect the amount and sequence of As to be irrelevant. Such a customer should be told to get in line after the last person already in line with a BS BP (whatever that's going to look like, but it will have the drink coupon attached).
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
In effect, RR have now been devalued by 50% over the past 2 years (or 75% if you count the 2x bonus for online booking. The "freedom" awards are essentially equal to the old RR. Of course, many FTers had requested that WN create this award, so I guess we can't complain now that mgmt has obliged.
I think with regard to using a RR to go to Hawaii, it might actually be worse now:

From the RR terms and conditions page:

Two (2) Rapid Rewards Standard Awards or Freedom Awards are valid for one roundtrip to any destination ATA Airlines serves in Hawaii.
Gotta wonder how the blackouts to Hawaii are now looking...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by Boraxo
People who pay higher fares on legacy carriers do so because they value the benefits, namely upgrades to F, priority security lines and international awards. WN does not and will not offer any of these perks, so they are unlikely to change horses just for a free drink and a better shot at a nice coach seat. The 2x RR for transcons isn't going to enhance revenues either as most frequent business travelers get more legroom and better service from the competition.

\.

Or they live in cities where SW doesn't fly.... like Atlanta!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: WN CP; CO plat; Hilton Diamond
Angry Big Trouble

Originally Posted by Appletom
Afraid not - from rule 8 of the Rapid Rewards A-List Membership Rules and Regulations page:

Quote:
For A-List Members who are also Companion Pass Holders, reserved boarding privileges will not be provided for the Member’s designated Companion unless he/she also is an A-List Member.

They certainly didn't think this one through. I predict GA's will use good judgment and let your CP board with you until this particular slap to the SWA road warriors is changed in the rules and regulations.
This is going to be a big problem as I would imagine that virtually all A-Listers are also CP. This means that our companions travel as CP companions most of the time and thus will not be able to earn A-List status on their own. My spouse will not be happy about having to board seperately at the end of the line. And we all know how much we love those people who try to "save" seats after they have boarded. I hope that my marriage survives this one!!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Beckles
an $8 valuation ($128 for a restricted award or $256 for a Freedom award with less than half the blackout dates of the old "unrestricted" awards) is ridiculously low, especially considering the increase in ticket prices on all airlines recently.
I've flown Southwest on 18 one-ways in the past year, all on Ding fares. My average fare has been about $80, with the high fare being $125.

I value (value = the price at which below I will pay cash and above I will use an award) the awards at about $225-250, but that's just me. I'm used to getting cheap fares.

Two (2) Rapid Rewards Standard Awards or Freedom Awards are valid for one roundtrip to any destination ATA Airlines serves in Hawaii.
64 Southwest flights for a roundtrip Hawaii award? You have got to be kidding me.

Last edited by Tino; Nov 7, 2007 at 3:02 pm Reason: wasn't done ranting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.