Wiki Posts
Search

BoardFirst Shuts Down

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:34 am
Original Poster

BoardFirst Shuts Down

Southwest's win kills boarding-pass Web site
BoardFirst.com, a popular Phoenix-based service that helped Southwest Airlines' passengers score the best boarding spots, has shut down.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...10.html?&wired
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: WN CP
The ruling is available here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/387826/southwest-v-boardfirst
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:34 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'll bet the next step is CAPTCHA, followed shortly by offering A's for an extra charge.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I never used BoardFirst, and I can understand that Southwest does not want other parties accessing their site for commercial purposes, but what about sites that access their site and don't charge for it?

I found another site out there that promises to check you in for your flight 24 hours in advance (same concept as BoardFirst) but does not charge for it. They give you an option to donate, but it's not required. Will Southwest try to shut them down?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by auggie doggie
I found another site out there that promises to check you in for your flight 24 hours in advance (same concept as BoardFirst) but does not charge for it. They give you an option to donate, but it's not required. Will Southwest try to shut them down?
I think they would be successful in obtaining permanent injunctions against free and donation-based sites using most of the same breach of contract arguments they successfully employed against BoardFirst.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Good riddance.

Better for everyone to be playing by the same rules. 24 hour rule works for me (much better than the idiotic midnight checkin option, or previously the first-to-the-airport option), but I have no problems with upcoming (?) pay-extra for a good seat plan. UA has been doing it for a while (E+) - an easy way to add $$ to the bottom line.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Wonder what happens if you had already paid? The website appears to be gone!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I'm not sure if BoardFirst charged at submission or only after they secured your boarding pass. If the former, I would demand and expect an immediate refund. Failing that I would pursue a charge dispute.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:00 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's interesting that Southwest sued the only company using manual check-in, and has left some of the automated services alone. That tells me that Southwest has other means (e.g., CAPTCHA) up its sleeve to shut them down.

I wonder if some randomization in the page layout for OLCI would accomplish the same thing without burdening customers with CAPTCHA.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:02 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I'll bet Kate will take care of everyone who already paid. Southwest wouldn't mind at this stage and perhaps has already made a secret deal with her to shut the service down and end the legal fight.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It's interesting that Southwest sued the only company using manual check-in, and has left some of the automated services alone. That tells me that Southwest has other means (e.g., CAPTCHA) up its sleeve to shut them down.
I think they decided to concentrate on the most high-profile site and then use its success there to clobber lesser sites. I'm not sure CAPTCHA is in the cards.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:13 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I'm not sure CAPTCHA is in the cards.
Something is in the cards. Otherwise some clever FTer will distribute code that we can run on our own PCs to check ourselves in. Apparently it's not a big challenge to write, since so many have done it.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest wouldn't mind at this stage and perhaps has already made a secret deal with her to shut the service down and end the legal fight.
Why would there need to be a secret deal? BoardFirst pretty much had its ... handed to it in the above-noted order, hence the permanent injunction.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Something is in the cards. Otherwise some clever FTer will distribute code that we can run on our own PCs to check ourselves in. Apparently it's not a big challenge to write, since so many have done it.
CAPTCHAs were suggested early and often last year. I think they would have been implemented by now if WN thought they were necessary to complicate OLCI to defeat BP sites and software (it already exists and costs less than three uses of BoardFirst).
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:38 pm

It is interesting to note that WN was ready to use an FT post in their case:
The following is a list of the documents Plaintiff expects to offer:
10. Documents produced by Southwest:
m. SWA/BOARD 75-76 -- Flyertalk posting regarding BoardFirst

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.