Wiki Posts
Search

BoardFirst Shuts Down

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I think they would have been implemented by now if WN thought they were necessary to complicate OLCI to defeat BP sites and software (it already exists and costs less than three uses of BoardFirst).
Why would Southwest annoy 100% of OLCI customers in order to defeat the 2% (just my guess) who use automated check-in? That only makes if and when revenue (from selling priority boarding) is at stake. This delay makes perfect sense to me.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm not sure what interface the robot tools were using (mobile.southwest.com) or southwest.com...

That might be an issue holding them back from implementing captcha. mobile.southwest.com site doesn't run from IE6/7, but there are plenty of free emulator tools to make your pc appear to be a mobile device.

I'm also not all that sure how well captcha is working for sites like Ticketmaster. there was just a big article in NY Times here:http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/06/bu...gy&oref=slogin
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:40 am

I used BoardFirst once and, to answer the refund question, they did not charge me until my A pass was reserved, so no one is getting ripped off the $5. While if I were Southwest I might not shut Board First down, I can see why they would. For average customers A passes would be difficult to achieve, reducing their satisfaction, while those who got them through Board First would be unhappy with the additional $5.00 charge.

For those who are interested, they sent me this e-mail:
Dear BoardFirst Customers:

It is with the deepest regret and sense of disappointment that I must inform
you that BoardFirst is being forced to discontinue the service it has been
providing to you for the past 2 years.

I started BoardFirst to try to make flying on Southwest somewhat more
enjoyable and less stressful. With hard work and your support BoardFirst has,
in just 2 years, succeeded beyond my wildest dreams to become a nationally
known and admired business. But, while the public loved our service,
Southwest Airlines did not and filed a lawsuit against BoardFirst in May, 2006
seeking an injunction to stop us from helping you get your “A” group boarding
passes. Since that time BoardFirst has fought valiantly for the right to
continue to provide what we believe is a valuable service to you, our customers.

Unfortunately our efforts and dreams were recently crushed when the U.S.
District Court ruled that the injunction requested by Southwest should be
issued. Needless to say, we at BoardFirst are very disappointed in the ruling
and believe that it is seriously flawed. Because, however, the ruling
prohibits us from continuing to operate our business, we simply cannot afford
to appeal.

I firmly believe that Southwest has benefited through our service, as I know
many of you have been taking its flights more often due the convenience
provided by BoardFirst. If you are as outraged as we are by this attack upon
our small business, we encourage you to let Southwest know. You may contact
Southwest C.E.O. Gary Kelly at [email protected].

Thank you all again so much. I have enjoyed the personal relationships I have
formed with many of you and cannot begin to tell you just how greatly
disappointed we all are that we can no longer help you get your “A” boarding
passes.

I hope you know that we tried our best.
Kate Bell,
Founder & President
BoardFirst.com
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: WN, BA, Kimpton Hotels, Starwood Hotels
Originally Posted by expert7700
mobile.southwest.com site doesn't run from IE6/7
mobile.southwest.com now works with these browsers - you can actually use the mobile checkin site through your desktop.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by peanutsplease
mobile.southwest.com now works with these browsers - you can actually use the mobile checkin site through your desktop.
Confirmed with Firefox 2.0.0.7. Thank you for the tip!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
It is interesting to note that WN was ready to use an FT post in their case
I bet it was one of Kate Bell's posts.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:19 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This excerpt from the Court's decision will make Southwest look rather silly after they start charging for A passes:
Southwest submits the testimony of its designated expert, Wendy Moe, Ph.D., an expert in online consumer behavior and currently an Associate Professor of Marketing at the University of Maryland. (Pl. App. 43)…She states that the fact that Southwest does not divide cabins on its planes into classes is not by accident – the company intends to project a sense of equality among passengers. (Id.). Moe suggests that the services provided by companies like BoardFirst create a de facto “first class” for Southwest flights because they allow for Southwest customers to pay extra money in return for guaranteed priority seating. (Id.). This practice, says Moe, serves to undermine the egalitarian service philosophy that Southwest has sought to promote for so many years, which in turn negatively impacts the Southwest brand. (Id.).
Southwest would have been more honest to argue that BoardFirst should not grab its customers' money before Southwest has a chance to do so.

Here’s another interesting tidbit, indicating that frequent fliers are tightly bound by program terms and conditions:
As the Court put it: “It is standard contract doctrine that when a benefit is offered subject to stated conditions, and the offeree makes a decision to take the benefit with knowledge of the terms of the offer, the taking constitutes an acceptance of the terms, which accordingly become binding on the offeree.”
Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Beckles
I bet it was one of Kate Bell's posts.
Someones 15 minutes is up...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:56 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Ridiculous.

We love you, Kate! What you were doing didn't hurt anyone, including Southwest. But like nsx said, you're in the way of the Southwest steamroller to tie "A" boarding access to higher-fare tickets and/or extra fees, so you had to go.

Sad day.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I'd think writing a small software package that sits as an agent on your computer and would access Southwest.com on your behalf at a given time (ie 24 hours in advance of your scheduled flight) and check in for you would be easy. I'd have to think that someone has written some open source (or freeware) software package that lets you programatically access a website for Windows (or other OS) already.

I just can't think of one right now.. but wonder how Southwest would react to someone distributing software that does that.. or even better, if using some standard software package, just distributing the code that does what is necessary (ie download program a, download code b, and run program)
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:48 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Furthermore, it appears to me that running a program on your computer to check in yourself and your family (personal, noncommercial use, not a third party) would not violate the web site's terms and conditions.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Maybe WN just figured that if people are willing to pay $5 for an A BP, the money should go to WN, not some third party.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by pitflyer
I'd think writing a small software package that sits as an agent on your computer and would access Southwest.com on your behalf at a given time (ie 24 hours in advance of your scheduled flight) and check in for you would be easy. I'd have to think that someone has written some open source (or freeware) software package that lets you programatically access a website for Windows (or other OS) already.

I just can't think of one right now.. but wonder how Southwest would react to someone distributing software that does that.. or even better, if using some standard software package, just distributing the code that does what is necessary (ie download program a, download code b, and run program)
In the days where the OLCI process was MIDNIGHT of the day and I had a 5am wakeup call, I used a simple windows program (can't recall, was free) that would automatically press certain keys at a given time. I would enter my name and PNR into the right boxes and the PC would do the rest. It took me an hour to find, setup and test the program. I shared it with a few people at work, one week later SW went to 24 hour check in.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:50 pm

I know their Terms of Service well, you guys are forgetting about this line when talking about a program accessing their site.
"You may not use any "deep-link," "page-scrape," "robot," "spider" or other automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology which does the same things, to access, acquire, copy, or monitor any portion of the Southwest web sites or any Company Information"
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:54 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KateLBell
I know their Terms of Service well, you guys are forgetting about this line when talking about a program accessing their site.
"You may not use any "deep-link," "page-scrape," "robot," "spider" or other automatic device, program, algorithm or methodology which does the same things, to access, acquire, copy, or monitor any portion of the Southwest web sites or any Company Information"
Thanks for pointing this out. It could arguably cover use of automated check-in by and for an individual customer. Southwest would still need to decide whether to sue its customers over this. If that happens, I nominate Kyla Ebbert for the test case, since her PR team is better than Southwest's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.