Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nsx
Wiki written by member pillow25:

Uber / Lyft / Rideshare (approx.. $30 non-surge pricing):

Bus / DART (approx. 45 minutes of travel; general operating hours 5 AM – 1 AM)
                            Print Wikipost

Love Field to DFW: How to go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: US Silver, WN, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
                            Originally Posted by FCfree
                            I love SWA as much as anybody and more than most, but I've got to ask the question -- Why?

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just curious about a situation that would justify doing it.
                            When AA cancels flights would be a good reason. Flying back from AMA to DAL last month, there were thunderstorms all afternoon in the DFW area and Eagle flights were all canceled. At least a few of the people on the Southwest flight were people that Eagle had stranded, some with onward connections from DFW.
                            Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:38 pm
                            A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
                            I fly into one and out of the other all the time. On Fridays, WN tends to be a lot cheaper than AA. On Sundays, it's vice versa. Since my usual destination is North Dallas, there's not a huge amount of time-cost difference (although I prefer DAL whenever I can get it...)

The only thing I have to add here is that National and Alamo don't treat this as a one-way (in either direction). All normal coupons, discounts, regular rates, free day certs, etc. apply. Both stations have Emerald and Exec aisles. DAL is an easy place to rent. DFW is a bit more painful due to irritatingly sporadic bus service and a long ride to the rental facility.

If you're in a one-time pinch due to flight irrops, I'd probably cab it over a rental car. Straightforward, about $40, no hassle on either end. A rental car won't represent a material savings over that unless you're down to a $10-15 base rate or something.

I had no idea that a train system was available at Love Field (or about to arrive there in the next two weeks). I can't even picture where it is...guess I should look around next week and see if any signage is up for it. I usually just head straight to the Nat/Alamo bus (which thankfully is usually just sitting there waiting for me ^).
                            Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:41 pm
                            Suspended

SuperShuttle

Originally Posted by sepdfw
                            I love SuperShuttle. They take AmEx and I have always found them reliable.
                            Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:51 pm
                            A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
                            Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
                            I love SuperShuttle. They take AmEx and I have always found them reliable.
                            Question on them in cities that have 2 airports: do they put you on a dedicated airport-to-airport shuttle?

I've only used SS once - in San Francisco - and I hated it. I was like the 5th dropoff in the van: all of my cash savings and then some were wasted in time lost. But if I was able to board a van immediately upon reaching the curbside and know that it was headed directly to DFW, only potentially dropping other DFW terminal pax before me, I'd probably consider it in a pinch.
                            Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
                            all of my cash savings and then some were wasted in time lost.
                            Ditto that. If I had enough time to waste that I was willing to take SuperShuttle, I'd save more money and just take public transit. The only times I ever take SuperShuttle ANYWHERE anymore are when my travel is so early/late that public transit isn't operating, and even then, I can sometimes Priceline a rental car or use a coupon to get the cost to within $10 of SuperShuttle and it's IMHO a far better use of time and money.
                            Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:03 pm

I have done this quite frequently, usually flying out of DFW and returning to DAL, needing to go to DFW to retrieve my car. I have had great luck at DAL walking up to the super shuttle buses (usually there are at least 2) and asking them are they going near DFW and how much to drop me there. The usual response is CASH? ...yes...$15. usually we leave within 10 minutes and they drop me first or second. Making a reservation is more of a sure thing, but costs more. I have tried this at DFW, but they usually want $25. I have rented cars one way, usually for about $25 as well. I also have used this tactic after a change in plans required me to switch airports - YMMV. I had rented at Hertz @ DFW on a cheap rate, then called and explained that I needed to return at DAL, they said no charge...I actually got a $3 refund for fees I believe.
                            Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
                            Due to the tornado in STL, I had to reroute using STL-DAL and then continue my trip as originally scheduled from DFW. I allowed PLENTY of time.

Yellow Checker shuttle says $19 and takes about half an hour. I will take it.
                            Old May 16, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
                            Thank you for the replies everyone! I am looking at reward itinerary for my brother that involves a DAL-DFW connection, and now feel much more confident about booking it for him, along with instructions to take the Super Shuttle, or a cab.
                            Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:28 pm

Please can anyone update this thread, and help me decide what to do.

Spouse is flying HNL to DFW (on an AA award ticket), but there were no award seats DFW to MCI.

So, he is more than willing to fly WN from DAL to MCI, provided the connection between DFW and DAL (on a Monday) is not terribly complicated/time consuming

He has expiring WN travel funds to use up, so flying WN makes sense to him, but he doesn't want to rent a car, just to go between the two airports.

Suggestions on doing the transfer? Cost?
                            Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
                            Originally Posted by Amicus
                            Please can anyone update this thread, and help me decide what to do.

Spouse is flying HNL to DFW (on an AA award ticket), but there were no award seats DFW to MCI.

So, he is more than willing to fly WN from DAL to MCI, provided the connection between DFW and DAL (on a Monday) is not terribly complicated/time consuming

He has expiring WN travel funds to use up, so flying WN makes sense to him, but he doesn't want to rent a car, just to go between the two airports.

Suggestions on doing the transfer? Cost?
                            Super Shuttle may be your most reasonable non-rental suggestion.

If it was me - I would spend a couple extra bucks and use Uber (now available in Dallas). Easy to use App - not much more than a cab - and you can score some free credits if you look around in web.
                            Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:18 am

I have always used a taxi. The peace of mind is worth it. I will never use a super shuttle - too much uncertainty.
                            Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
                            There is now a DART rail line close to Love field, you could take the green line to the TRE and the TRE to Centerport and than theres a DFW shuttle, be cheaper but take longer
                            Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT
                            1. Take DART bus #500 from DFW Terminal A to Belt Line Station
                            2. Take Orange Line from Belt Line Station to Inwood Station
                            3. Take DART bus #524 from Inwood Station to Love Field

Total fare = $2.50. www.dart.org
                            Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dfwengineer
                            1. Take DART bus #500 from DFW Terminal A to Belt Line Station
                            2. Take Orange Line from Belt Line Station to Inwood Station
                            3. Take DART bus #524 from Inwood Station to Love Field

Total fare = $2.50. www.dart.org
                            Love the fare, but how long would this journey take?
                            Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
                            Originally Posted by jbdear
                            Super Shuttle may be your most reasonable non-rental suggestion.
                            Be careful with Super Shuttle. A friend just took it from DFW to downtown Dallas and it took her almost 3 hours, including an hour wait at DFW for it to show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.