Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz: must renter name match Rapid Rewards name?

Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Searching "Hertz name match" didn't yield anything except the master rental car thread - and they didn't actually cover the topic there.

Can I rent a car at Hertz, using a WN promo code to earn 1 credit, and have the credit deposited into Mrs. Pinniped's WN account? She's 1 credit away from her next award.

Last name is the same.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:03 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards--Official Southwest Airlines Spokesperson
Originally Posted by pinniped
Searching "Hertz name match" didn't yield anything except the master rental car thread - and they didn't actually cover the topic there.

Can I rent a car at Hertz, using a WN promo code to earn 1 credit, and have the credit deposited into Mrs. Pinniped's WN account? She's 1 credit away from her next award.

Last name is the same.

Thanks!
No. If the complete name on the Rapid Rewards account does not match the name on the rental (or in other Preferred Partner cases--hotel stays, primary name on credit card, and etc) then the credit will not be issued in the account.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks. The follow-up question - perhaps for the Hertz board - is can my wife be listed as the primary renter on a car that I pick-up and drive? (Perhaps this varies by state.)

And follow-up question #2...what are some other ways to generate 1 credit for my wife, given that she does not have any flight segments planned? I know worst case is a cheap 2-day Hertz rental from our HLE - probably a $50 total cost for the credit. Anything better?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Yet another follow-up (perhaps should be a different thread, but I won't go there yet...): we have a merged HH account - my wife and I are both named on the account. (Hilton no longer merges accounts like this, but we did it a few years ago.) I assume that would work, right?

Yeah, I know HH -> WN is a hideous exchange rate, but for 1 credit I'm not too worried about it. I have a bazillion HH points.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:46 pm

Just a note, but Budget does not seem to check name (at least not the entire name) when issuing an RR credit for a rental.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:18 am

And follow-up question #2...what are some other ways to generate 1 credit for my wife, given that she does not have any flight segments planned? I know worst case is a cheap 2-day Hertz rental from our HLE - probably a $50 total cost for the credit. Anything better?
If you have any Hertz points, you can exchange 600 Hertz points for 1 Southwest credit. Again, not the best exchange rate, but you could do it if you wanted that last 1 credit badly enough. I assume this can be done for anyone, since I have used my hertz points to get airline miles to keep my family member's airlines accounts "active".
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:06 am

YMMV. I have gotton SWA credit applied to other accounts at Hertz before. Also, more than once I have gotton Alamo credit applied to SWA accounts with a different last name than mine.

So long as you have enough time before the 1 credit needs to be in Mrs. P's account, you may as well give it a go (I'd first try with Alamo, then next with Hertz). If it doesn't post to the account within a couple weeks, the worst that happens is you call Hertz and give them your RR # to apply the credit to your account.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If you're a member of the Hertz #1 gold club card, OR AAA, there is no reason not to have the entire rental in your wife's name if you want her to receive the credit. Your spouse is automatically allowed as a driver with no extra fee, and you don't have to list them.

I make it a habit now of booking our rentals in my wife's name when she is close to an award ticket. I am the one who always drives the car off the rental lot, and the security guards for hertz don't care as long as she is in the car with me.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I am the one who always drives the car off the rental lot, and the security guards for hertz don't care as long as she is in the car with me.
I'm guessing that the wifey wouldn't be in the car with the OP, otherwise they'd just rent the car in her name in the first place...........
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by HappyTrekker
If you have any Hertz points, you can exchange 600 Hertz points for 1 Southwest credit. Again, not the best exchange rate, but you could do it if you wanted that last 1 credit badly enough. I assume this can be done for anyone, since I have used my hertz points to get airline miles to keep my family member's airlines accounts "active".
I can confirm that this is no longer allowable. I tried doing this for my husband's account, and although I entered his WN#, I ended up getting the credit. So I had to get that reversed.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
YMMV. I have gotton SWA credit applied to other accounts at Hertz before.
Just curious: have you (or anyone else) been successful recently?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:33 pm

My last attempt was 1.5 years ago, and was successful. Once I became Hertz #1 Gold, I stopped trying since my SWA # was already in the #1 Gold system.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:22 pm

I was successful doing this exact same thing with Hertz just two weekends ago.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by BradC
I was successful doing this exact same thing with Hertz just two weekends ago.
That's odd, I tried 3 months ago online, maybe that was the problem? Did you talk to Gold CS to transfer the points?

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to try, you can always have it reversed if it doesn't work.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subdawg
That's odd, I tried 3 months ago online, maybe that was the problem? Did you talk to Gold CS to transfer the points?

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to try, you can always have it reversed if it doesn't work.
Sounds like Brad was talking about simply crediting points on a rental - not converting 600 ZE1 to 1 WN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.