Wiki Posts
Search

No in-flight gambling on WN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

No in-flight gambling on WN

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16675618/

Southwest Airlines, the largest US domestic carrier, has ruled out luring passengers with in-flight gambling but pledged to introduce alternative new products to counter slowing revenue growth.
I suppose this is good news, but it's really just odd.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:57 pm

Well, you can gamble for match sticks,
You can gamble for gold.
Stakes may be heavy or small.
But if you haven't gambled for love and lost,
Well, then you haven't gambled at all.

by Frankie Lane
The Moonlight Gambler
Circa 1956
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, EA
Quite odd indeed. "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a full flight so we will have to put away the roulette table located in row 5"
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:26 pm
NBL

I was on a TWA flight from STL to LAS in 1998 and the flight attendants ran a raffle - put in a dollar to win the whole pot. I think they were trying to get the passengers in a gambling mood before they got to Las Vegas.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Or they were looking for cash to stay afloat...

Sooner or later WN will have to look at IFE on its long routes (IMO).
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Or they were looking for cash to stay afloat...

Sooner or later WN will have to look at IFE on its long routes (IMO).
Hopefully sooner rather than later....
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Hopefully sooner rather than later....
I like Hawaiian's approach. Rent digital movie players, with TV shows, movies, & games on it for like $20. If it's a space/weight thing why not have them at the airports like library books, return at your destination (Credit Card needed for theft deterent of course).
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by NBL
I was on a TWA flight from STL to LAS in 1998 and the flight attendants ran a raffle - put in a dollar to win the whole pot. I think they were trying to get the passengers in a gambling mood before they got to Las Vegas.

TWA almost always did this on the flight that left St. Louis in the very early afternoon. I always enjoyed that flight - a big plane with friendly staff. Once the pilot called in to get permission to fly low over the Grand Canyon so the passengers could get a good view on a really nice day. The view was great and I was stunned - I have never been on another flight where the pilot did that and I didn't even know they were allowed to. This particular flight crew was just great.

I had some very bad experiences with TWA on other routes, but the STL - LAS group were just great. Back then TWA was a much better choice than Southwest from SDF to LAS because WN made several stops. But if TWA hadn't gone away, WN would not now operate a nonstop so it worked out well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.