Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Voucher Transferability Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Travel Voucher Transferability Question

After reading the FAQ, which was very informative, I am still looking for a couple answers to some questions concerning a trade I am considering with another member of FT.

The trade involves me receiving a $220 travel voucher on SWA which expires in September 2007, but I could use some help from more knowledgeable SWA travelers before making this trade.

What questions should I ask about the voucher before committing to the trade? I do know the dates when I would like to travel, and my travel cost should be around the the value of the voucher, possibly slightly less. Will he need to book my flight for me using the voucher? Can he do it over the phone or must he go to the airport SWA counter? What other questions should I be asking about his voucher? Does it matter if it is from a bump, from some type of other compensation, etc?

Any help is appreciated, unfortunately I am having trouble deciding whether this trade is too risky to consider.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The "travel voucher" sounds like it is unused ticketless funds residing in a single record locator on Southwest Airlines' computers. In that case you can book it yourself online knowing only the locator number and the credit card holder's name. If you are trading with a stranger you are safest if you use all the funds immediately to book your travel. That creates a new record locator containing all those funds plus any you added.

People sell these unused ticketless funds on ebay all the time and it doesn't violate airline rules AFAIK, but cash transactions are not allowed on FT.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:53 am

My only word of caution when dealing with electronic type vouchers is that if they are freshly purchased then that is a major red flag for fraud. I've ran into people using stolen credit cards to purchase tickets, canceling the ticket, and then selling the credits. You can verify with SWA that everything is fine and dandy but after a month or two go by your payment using the credit will be voided and you'll have to pay again.

Since this voucher appears to be from September 2006 you have plenty of "seasoning" time to ensure that the voucher is good. My personal opinion is that 10 weeks or more of seasoning should yield no problems.

If you don't plan to use the funds right away you can purchase another ticket and then cancel it. You won't reset the expiration date but you will get a new ticket number and name to enter. This effectively renders the old ticketless credit code useless and you'll have a new ticketless credit code that only you will know.

This has nothing to do with your particular trade....only general advise that can apply to all trades regarding SWA electronic funds.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by nsx
The "travel voucher" sounds like it is unused ticketless funds residing in a single record locator on Southwest Airlines' computers.
Or it is perhaps a "Travel Voucher" like the one I received from a voluntary bump last year which states "Travel Voucher Coupon 1." My type of Travel Voucher requires me in person at a Southwest ticket counter to paper ticket the passenger(s) of my choice. My voucher also says "Not Transferable" which means that I must do the ticketing myself even if I am ticketing other passengers. Electronic vouchers are now issued instead which are much more user friendly. Thank you Southwest!

Keep in mind that all travel must be completed by the expiration date, not just ticketed by that date. There are even other ("refund") options available for my type of voucher which can be clarified by calling Southwest. I believe it requires travel I've purchased and after the travel has been flown sending in the receipts and the Travel Voucher. The amount of the Travel Voucher would then be credited back to the credit card of record. Thank you again Southwest!

Last edited by MRLIMO; Jan 17, 2007 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
ok, so here's a question for a little more clarification. i have the 'bumped'-type travel voucher paper old style. I don't fly SWA very often and i'd rather use the $ to get a flight on AS for the EQM. Since there is the new deal where you can buy a flight on the internet and send in a receipt & voucher for refund, can I buy a friend/family member's ticket for something else and have this work? I know I could do this at the airport (ticket for another person if I do the ticketing) but does the internet refund that is new work for transferring?

Originally Posted by MRLIMO
Or it is perhaps a "Travel Voucher" like the one I received from a voluntary bump last year which states "Travel Voucher Coupon 1." My type of Travel Voucher requires me in person at a Southwest ticket counter to paper ticket the passenger(s) of my choice. My voucher also says "Not Transferable" which means that I must do the ticketing myself even if I am ticketing other passengers. Electronic vouchers are now issued instead which are much more user friendly. Thank you Southwest!

Keep in mind that all travel must be completed by the expiration date, not just ticketed by that date. There are even other ("refund") options available for my type of voucher which can be clarified by calling Southwest. I believe it requires travel I've purchased and after the travel has been flown sending in the receipts and the Travel Voucher. The amount of the Travel Voucher would then be credited back to the credit card of record. Thank you again Southwest!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:59 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by nsx
People sell these unused ticketless funds on ebay all the time and it doesn't violate airline rules AFAIK, but cash transactions are not allowed on FT.

This is certainly a surprise. I'm not usually a Southwest flyer, but I thought they were one of the airlines that was very vigilant about Ebay? They wouldn't care if I sold my unused "ticketless travel" funds on EBay?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RLG
This is certainly a surprise. I'm not usually a Southwest flyer, but I thought they were one of the airlines that was very vigilant about Ebay? They wouldn't care if I sold my unused "ticketless travel" funds on EBay?
Unlike awards, ticketless funds are unquestionably your own property. They are essentially prepaid gift cards, and those are sold on ebay in vast numbers.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:53 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by nsx
Unlike awards, ticketless funds are unquestionably your own property. They are essentially prepaid gift cards, and those are sold on ebay in vast numbers.
Thanks. I'll keep the Ebay alternative in mind the next time I have some going unused. Hopefully I don't find out that the airline isn't happy with the "vast numbers" sold on EBay.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This is interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:22 am
Suspended

Transferring ticketless travel funds question

Hi,
So when the person I am giving away my confirmation code for unused ticketless travel funds enters the information themselves online, they enter my name as the credit card holder even though it is a different passenger that is travelling (and paying for the ticket)?

This will work? Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by bug_me_not
Hi,
So when the person I am giving away my confirmation code for unused ticketless travel funds enters the information themselves online, they enter my name as the credit card holder even though it is a different passenger that is travelling (and paying for the ticket)?

This will work? Thanks.
Correct.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
This is very good & interesting info. I have only traveled myself on WN, so have not had the opportunity to check with another family member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.