CP one last time

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

CP one last time

Friend and I just back from the Texas 3x credit runs-- we each spent around $600 and got 3 free more CC RR tix each--- plus we both made CP--- I make him my companion (biz)---and he makes his son (pleasure)---- we split fares for biz--- and double up on each others free tix--- He is my named companion--- but he can gift me his RR--- and then I can Companion him----either way 2 for Free--- and he gets to take his 12 yr old to all the socal amusements cheap--- whenever school is out--- (shoulda said before we are oakland based)

The reality is --- we had about 50 credits each before the 3X promo and still spent $600 each and did 19 segs in 5 calendar days--- we did not fly 2 of the 5 as we had biz commitments--grueling

now with WN flights being single credit---

And the Dings lately have been complete jokes---

I do not see any possible way we will be CP again

Previously--- there were times where we would rather pay and get the multy credits rather than use up a free tix-- even 2 for 1 CP

That might be the best move on WN's part--- if you cant find a cheap fare and multi credits---You may as well burn a free one---especially if you can 2 for 1

Now--- with no multi credits--- using a free one ---especially if you are a CP --makes a lot more sence- in fact almost forces a free tix burn--

Good Luck Gary--- I hope you can eat jet fuel hedges if they go backwards on you--

I know we will be vigilantly searching the alternatives----

EBF
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:03 am

Do you think you can test the waters and try to do the following sometime:

You buy a ticket (or use a free one). Your friend (who is your companion) goes with you for free. He brings along his son (who is his companion) for free. 3 fly for the price of one (or all fly for free if award ticket is used). I've always wondered if that would work or not. Maybe you can try it sometime. ^
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN Comp Pass
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Do you think you can test the waters and try to do the following sometime:

You buy a ticket (or use a free one). Your friend (who is your companion) goes with you for free. He brings along his son (who is his companion) for free. 3 fly for the price of one (or all fly for free if award ticket is used). I've always wondered if that would work or not. Maybe you can try it sometime. ^
An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight.

This is from #5 of the Companion Pass Rules and regulations. I presume this means you cannot do this but it would be really nice if the person who was the member/companion was also a COS !
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:40 pm

I don't think we ever really clarified that here. That rule could mean one of two things:

1. What you are saying.
or
2. That you cannot be the CP holder and designate yourself as the companion, therefore getting 2 seats (extra space) on every flight you fly.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:03 am
Original Poster

I wanna go to Disneyland anyway--- so we will try the companion of a companion double spin booking---

I will let you know if they let us book it--- and fly it---

I always believed that you coud not 3 for 1 them--- but we wil try it--

SoCal is cheap enough for us--- i will buy a tix

CP my partner---

Then have him try and CP his son---

I will keep you posted--

EBF
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:11 am

I wouldn't try it...

I think the rule is pretty clear.

Section 4:
The Companion Pass is valid for free travel only when the Companion is accompanied on his/her flight(s) by the Rapid Rewards Member
Looking at how the terms Companion and Member are used in section 4, it seems clear that what you are trying to do is a violation of section 5:
An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight
My bet is that it will let you ticket it without any problem and you will also likely not be stopped from flying. However, after the fact your partner will likely at least be charged a RR and also have a low - but real - chance of losing their CP and/or having their RR account closed.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think it will work. First, I think the rules are referring to gregorygrady's option #2. Secondly, I don't think WN's reservation system is all that advanced. I'm sure it checks to see if a reservation exists, but I doubt it looks to see how that reservation was booked, paid, etc...

I think the initial capacity controlled RR screw-up showed us that their programmers are a bit behind. So even if the WN lurkers see this thread and try to fix/clarify, I think you will still have 3 months to try to pull this off.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I wrote a very similar thread on here last year. I think a swa lurker or gate agent said if the ticketing agents at the gate were paying attention they would make us pay a full walk up fare for the 2nd companion.

Well, I went on to try this in January of this year on a SAN-LAS-SAN flight. It let all 3 of us check in online and fly the first leg. However before boarding on the return trip, they paged my companion and said since he was on a free CP fare class his companion cannot fly on the same free fare class. He had an award ticket in his RR account so he used half an award ticket. They were on the phone apparently to customer service. When he logged into his RR account 2 weeks later it took him to the 'designate a companion' screen even though his expiration date isn't until 07/2006. No letter, no phone call, nothing else happened. Except in retrospect he used half an old non capacity controlled ticket on a LAS-SAN flight that would have only cost $29 on a ding fare in advance. He redesignated the same companion name and got a new card in the mail at the end of Jan but won't be double stacking CP's again.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Yikes!!! expert that is a terrable mis-use of an award tix-- for $29---

I just got off the phone with WN--- I have 7 RR free tix on my account-- 3 old style and 4 new style--

have a friend coming from europe on biz----

He needed a one way mdw-oak---- I used an old stlye 1/2 free tix to book him---

If it woulda cost me $1000 cash--- I still woulda got him here--- he is my best freind--

i called WN just to make sure I had not burned an old style unrestricted tix---When i have a ton of new style ones--

She nicely checked out all the possible ways to get my freind out here from MDW--- there was not a single seat available for the next 10 days that I could use a new type CC free tix on---

So the free tix I had already used for him (old style) was the best we could do---

F**** WN--- I am truly done---- I will use up my good and bad free tix as fast as possible--- and enjoy my CP for the next year---- and then--- unless they see the light-- I willl never fly them again---

If you care too--- the res person gave me this phone bumber to call an voice your opinion--- 214-792-4223---

She confirmed in no un certain terms--- I was not the only one that was upset by the new deal---- call --- let em know how you feel

EBF
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:40 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
eastbayflyer,

Does your computer not have a "." (period) key? It makes your posts hard to read without it. Also, it never would cost $1000 to buy one WN ticket, as the maximum walkup fare is $309+ oneway.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:45 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
Bad Info...

Originally Posted by eastbayflier
She nicely checked out all the possible ways to get my freind out here from MDW--- there was not a single seat available for the next 10 days that I could use a new type CC free tix on---
You got some real bad information. I just checked SWA online and over half the flights between MDW and OAK are open for the "new" rewards. Weekends are tight, but the only day with no open flights is Sunday April 16.

BTW, I checked UAL. No standard awards during the next ten days. The only open saver flights are on Wednesday April 11th and Monday to Wednesday April 17th - 19th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.