Missed connection turns into stopover?

Old Apr 6, 06, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Missed connection turns into stopover?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

If I was flying BNA-BWI-PVD and I missed my connection in BWI (pretend it was the last flight of the day) what would happen?

Note this missed connection is my fault, not the airline's. Would I be able to stay overnight in Baltimore and make my connection the next day? Could I wait two days?

Has anyone had any experiences like this?
Old Apr 6, 06, 9:10 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
If the missed connection is WN's fault - even if it meant there was no other connection that night - I'm confident WN would take care of you. When a delay at one's originating city will likely cause a misconnect, especially a misconnect that causes an overnight at the connecting city, I've seen WN take proactive action and reroute the pax from his/her originating point so that the pax doesn't get stranded at the connecting point.

If it is your fault, the picture gets murkier. If, for example, you got delayed in the airport bar and came up to the gate and reported you missed your connecting flight and there were another flight that same day, my expectation is they would accommodate you on a standby basis. Overnight, or two days later, I think you'd have to buy up to the full one way fare. If the misconnection, especially one causing an overnight, was WN's responsibility, your PNR would be so noted. Absent such notation, they would know it was not their fault you misconnected.

Welcome to FT.
Old Apr 6, 06, 9:38 am

Programs: WN CP
Also, you did not mention when you intended to try to pull this off, but using today as an example, there is another BWI-PVD flight after the one included in the final "official" BNA-BWI-PVD routing of the day. I think it would be plausible if you "missed" one flight, but if I were the agent, I'd be hard-pressed to believe you "missed" two causing an overnight stopover, let alone "missing" so many that you have a two-night stopover.
Old Apr 6, 06, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Hmm... yes... as I suspected.

It would not be me that "missed" my flight. My parents will be flying back from Nashville in early June and wanted to stop in BWI and visit with my mom's parents.

I'm curious what people think the consequences would be. Do you think that the last segment of the trip would be invalidated? What if this was on a RR ticket?
Old Apr 6, 06, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN CP
Why don't they just book BNA-BWI and BWI-PVD separately with a one or two night stopover instead of putting themselves through the hassle and risk of trying to cheat WN?
Old Apr 6, 06, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by challett
Hmm... yes... as I suspected.

It would not be me that "missed" my flight. My parents will be flying back from Nashville in early June and wanted to stop in BWI and visit with my mom's parents.
You can book a layover of <4hrs without any problems. That's enough time to have breakfast or lunch. And if there are any irregular ops or overbooking situations it is usually easy to get rebooked and/or standby to the last flight of the day to give you even more time. However, if a longer visit is important and/or you want to guarantee an overnight book two tickets.
Old Apr 6, 06, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

It was my opinion that two tickets were going to be the way to go. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Out of curiosity, are there any airlines that have fares with permitted stopovers? I know that I could go last flight in first flight out, but I think my parents want more time than that.
Old Apr 7, 06, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Why don't they just book BNA-BWI and BWI-PVD separately with a one or two night stopover instead of putting themselves through the hassle and risk of trying to cheat WN?
I agree
Old Apr 7, 06, 6:31 pm

Funny thing is challett's parents are probably going to get 4thplz as a gate agent at BWI and try to use the excuse and then 4thplz will think back to this thread and remember a Mr. and Mrs. Challett trying to use some phony excuse. Rip em a new one 4thplz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 7, 06, 6:48 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by challett
It was my opinion that two tickets were going to be the way to go. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Out of curiosity, are there any airlines that have fares with permitted stopovers? I know that I could go last flight in first flight out, but I think my parents want more time than that.
Domestically? Not for free. UA charges $50 I believe for a DEN stopover.

You could spend up to 24 hours connecting on an international itinerary, but Southwest doesn't fly international, not to mention it would be pretty expensive to fly out of the country and then back to PVD.

Have you compared the price of one through fare to two fares via BWI? Sometimes it's cheaper to buy two tickets anyway.
Old Apr 8, 06, 7:59 pm

Last edited by 4thplz; Apr 7, 10 at 8:43 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: