Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest to serve Washington/Dulles Fall 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

Southwest plans to start service to Dulles in the fall:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060404/datu033.html?.v=49
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:26 am

Programs: WN CP
AWESOME! This is fantastic news. I have relatives in the WV panhandle and fly into BWI to reach them. IAD is much more convenient.

This news makes my day.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
From the release:

"Southwest has not yet announced how it will weave Dulles into its existing network. The airline plans to announce those routes this summer along with the everyday low fares it will offer."

Predictions? BWI started off as a MDW/CLE reach, if I recall. Shorthaul to NE (fares have shot up), Longhaul to the west, or something else? What I don't see if Florida - too competitive as is, better ways to use limited initial gate resources.

This (read: promotional fares) will be a real test of my hatred of Dulles. By the way, DCA is offering some better summer travel internet specials via the codeshare than corresponding BWI flights. On the other hand, the parking situation at BWI is getting competitive again.

Last edited by Mr. July; Apr 4, 2006 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: WN CP
So now we have two airports (IAD and DEN) that WN previously avoided. I think the next move is not MSP or CLT as has been predicted, but LGA (I think this has been discussed).
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
WN plans Fall 2006 service to IAD

BULLSEYE: IAD

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/prindex.html
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:54 am

IAD and DEN both have decent runway layouts and aren't particularly congested. They fit the 'old' WN model of avoiding delay prone airports.

Don't get me wrong, they can both have delays, but compared to other major U.S. airports they aren't too bad.

I am looking forward to WN @ IAD, I am going to have to re-read nsx's excellent info on flying WN. Hopefully they will serve decent destinations out of here.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
I'm with you Mr. July...I hate Dulles and Southwest even more. The combination makes me gag. The only good that will come out of it is that it will force United to lower their fares somewhat, although it will be interesting to see to what extent. Unlike USAir who retreated from BWI when Southwest came in, United will go toe to toe with Southwest and will throw in double or triple frequent flyer miles on competing routes to keep customers from flying Southwest. Given the choice with United's extensive network and *A, why would you fly Southwest if United is just as cheap. Plus, Southwest is no Independence Air when it comes to service. People would have gladly paid more to fly Independence. I don't see that happening with Southwest. It works at BWI because it isn't a hub for any airline so to get from point A to point B on most of the flights on other airlines you have to connect, while Southwest flies point-to-point. This isn't the case at Dulles.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:59 am
cpx

Programs: Many
IAD might be convenient for some of you guys, but I think IAD is a bad airport
to fly out of.
(you can check out some of the discussions about IAD)

I'd avoid that airport at any cost. Security lines are mess @ IAD.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by romadaro
I'm with you Mr. July...I hate Dulles and Southwest even more. The combination makes me gag. The only good that will come out of it is that it will force United to lower their fares somewhat, although it will be interesting to see to what extent. Unlike USAir who retreated from BWI when Southwest came in, United will go toe to toe with Southwest and will throw in double or triple frequent flyer miles on competing routes to keep customers from flying Southwest. Given the choice with United's extensive network and *A, why would you fly Southwest if United is just as cheap. Plus, Southwest is no Independence Air when it comes to service. People would have gladly paid more to fly Independence. I don't see that happening with Southwest. It works at BWI because it isn't a hub for any airline so to get from point A to point B on most of the flights on other airlines you have to connect, while Southwest flies point-to-point. This isn't the case at Dulles.
How was flying on a regional jet with IA a better experience than WN, who is known for their great people, little fees nickle and diming, free booze, and no RJ?

Unless U matches WN's walk up fare max of $300 anywhere they fly and getting rid of the "Hub Fares", I believe WN will have no problem filling seats with last minute business travelers.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:20 am

And what does this have to do with US Airways?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Just to clarify, IAD will only be useful to me for (1) fare differential (2) promotions, as in bonus credits [both expected due to competitive response from United] and (3) point-to-point routings [which is a big question mark at this point]. I have no problems with the WN service, but have serious problems with the process of getting to and through IAD.

I'm tempted by DCA on a WN ticket due to (1) convenience of airport and (2) current fare differential for connecting flights via MDW to some midwest/west destinations.

BWI continues to work just fine for me in most cases, though, given frequency and directness of the routes I want to fly and the ease associated with the new A/B pier.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by abeflyer
And what does this have to do with US Airways?
Keep your friends close...

It's good to know. Their strength--no matter what the station--is a continuing threat to US.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:23 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
SW and 2 gates can do a lot of damage to other carriers (namely US and UA at IAD). And if it's like other places SW invaded, 2 gates often breed into more.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cpx
IAD might be convenient for some of you guys, but I think IAD is a bad airport
to fly out of.
(you can check out some of the discussions about IAD)

I'd avoid that airport at any cost. Security lines are mess @ IAD.
Yeah, you better than I know about security would be mess at IAD. Become the lines would be get longer wait more than 10 mins to trying get through.

I am putting on these routes is:

MHT
PHX
LAS
LAX
OAK
FLL
MCO
MDW
ISP
DEN

if WN will trying more new routes from IAD would able put on money on their routes.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If WN puts some nonstop IAD-LAX and also adds some DEN-IAD, then UA is seriously gonna crap their pants.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.