Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:44 pm

Does WN ever add any routes outside of the dates they add schedule extensions? I'm surprised to see that some service that existed (and seemed popular) pre-COVID still hasn't returned. Is there any chance they'll add in any more routes before 9/16? Or are there no additions at all, except on the dates when they extend the schedule?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bobert24
Does WN ever add any routes outside of the dates they add schedule extensions? I'm surprised to see that some service that existed (and seemed popular) pre-COVID still hasn't returned. Is there any chance they'll add in any more routes before 9/16? Or are there no additions at all, except on the dates when they extend the schedule?
I have seen then add destinations but not sure if routes, when they just went into COS and SRQ they were added outside of a schedule extension but with how elastic demand is now you never know but I wouldn't hold my breath
bobert24 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:27 pm

WN is having a hard enough time keeping their core routes through their hubs staffed / running smoothly. I've had DEN and BNA connections (admittedly pretty heavily traffic'ed WN hubs) delayed rather consistently on recent flights due to some logistical / staffing snafu or other. I think they'll likely keep things pretty tight until their staffing levels ramp back up to re-expand into additional routes.
bobert24 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by AllThePants
WN is having a hard enough time keeping their core routes through their hubs staffed / running smoothly. I've had DEN and BNA connections (admittedly pretty heavily traffic'ed WN hubs) delayed rather consistently on recent flights due to some logistical / staffing snafu or other. I think they'll likely keep things pretty tight until their staffing levels ramp back up to re-expand into additional routes.
I think it will get worse before it gets better, if they have crew and a plane to fly to a destination with demand they are going to take it considering how much money they lost during COVID and the current economy rebound shareholders are going to be wanting big returns
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
I think it will get worse before it gets better, if they have crew and a plane to fly to a destination with demand they are going to take it considering how much money they lost during COVID and the current economy rebound shareholders are going to be wanting big returns
That's totally a fair assessment. I'm hedging things entirely and am not trusting any flights with connections to arrive on time (or even the same day for that matter) for the rest of the year. I've got a few trips that are time-critical (weddings, etc.) in the back half of this year and am not relying on anything but direct flights until the current staffing issues get ironed out.
N104UA and northinsouth like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by AllThePants
I think DEN has been overloaded. Southwest seems to have shifted a lot of connecting traffic that normally went through HOU or DAL into DEN, and they can't handle it.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by N104UA
Forget about having a crew and plane. If there's demand they'll sell it in the schedule and worry about whether they can reasomably fly it later, which is how they get themselves into the mess of the few weeks.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:53 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by N830MH
WN add new nonstop flight ORD to Cancun, and MCI to Cancun.

WN to resume flight from FLL to NAS/PLS/MBJ/GCM/CUN and HOU to BZE.
I assumed that FLL-GCM would resume with today's new schedule extension. Although it shows up as a daily nonstop flight under Flight Schedules, I don't see it as bookable.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
I assumed that FLL-GCM would resume with today's new schedule extension. Although it shows up as a daily nonstop flight under Flight Schedules, I don't see it as bookable.
Doesn't show as bookable until March 2022. Cayman Islands have paused their plan to allow visitors in due to rising cases of covid, so that's probably why the start date has been pushed back.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We are currently accepting air reservations through April 24, 2022. On December 8, 2021 we will open our schedule for sale through September 5, 2022. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

The next schedule extension is on December 8, 2021.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
We are currently accepting air reservations through April 24, 2022. On December 8, 2021 we will open our schedule for sale through September 5, 2022. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

The next schedule extension is on December 8, 2021.
next schedule release is still 12/8 but now only goes until 6/4
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
next schedule release is still 12/8 but now only goes until 6/4
Yes, it is! Still on schedule. No change.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:42 am

There seems to be a price "wall" at March 9th. Flights before that date are competitively priced and flights after that date are significantly higher. Does anyone know the significance of that?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by m907
There seems to be a price "wall" at March 9th. Flights before that date are competitively priced and flights after that date are significantly higher. Does anyone know the significance of that?
I've seen that many times over the years. The wall comes down when the outlook for fares and fuel costs becomes more clear.
screeton likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:03 pm
Original Member

I say spring break vacations start that weekend?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.