Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by N104UA
Southwest extends schedule through end of year (Christmas and Thanksgiving) on Thursday. Any predictions?

I am guessing fares are going to initially be sky high and they will maximize flying during that time, most likely their largest schedule ever in number of flights in one day.

If fares are sky high now, I am going back and forth on buying Thanksgiving and Christmas tickets now or waiting to see if they drop, which will be a big gamble either way.
If they drop, you get the credit. Not much of a gamble unless you don't plan on flying again before June 2022. Better yet, book with points if you have them.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:04 pm

Southwest extends schedule through end of year (Christmas and Thanksgiving) on Thursday. Any predictions?

I am guessing fares are going to initially be sky high and they will maximize flying during that time, most likely their largest schedule ever in number of flights in one day.

If fares are sky high now, I am going back and forth on buying Thanksgiving and Christmas tickets now or waiting to see if they drop, which will be a big gamble either way.

I have always purchased my holiday flights the moment fares are released (yes, I sit here all morning and refresh, refresh, refresh). I usually get good (not great) pricing and then watch daily and rebook if something lower comes around. In the past it has been about 50/50 that I catch something lower for Xmas and Thanksgiving weeks. This year is simply going to be different. More people eager go back to their holiday travels and the industry trying to recover.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:50 am
O62

When should I start hitting refresh to look for the new flight schedule?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by O62
When should I start hitting refresh to look for the new flight schedule?
when or after the announcement; may I ask what the hurry? don't think that fares will be low when they first becomes avail...
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
when or after the announcement; may I ask what the hurry? don't think that fares will be low when they first becomes avail...
Usually around 9am Herb time (CT), but it's very often the case that the cheaper fare buckets don't get loaded in until quite a few hours later.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:21 pm
O62

Originally Posted by danhouston
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Usually around 9am Herb time (CT), but it's very often the case that the cheaper fare buckets don't get loaded in until quite a few hours later.
Thanks for the advice! Trying to snag Thanksgiving flights to Hawaii. The legacies are all charging crazy amounts (like usual) and last year I got much better fares on WN. Couldn't remember when the best time to book was.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by O62
Thanks for the advice! Trying to snag Thanksgiving flights to Hawaii. The legacies are all charging crazy amounts (like usual) and last year I got much better fares on WN. Couldn't remember when the best time to book was.
I am hoping once WN releases their fares, some of the other airlines will come down in price. It might be a pipe dream though, people are antsy to travel, and Hawaii during the holidays is one of the place they are wanting to go.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mdurette
I I usually get good (not great) pricing and then watch daily and rebook if something lower comes around. In the past it has been about 50/50 that I catch something lower for Xmas and Thanksgiving weeks. This year is simply going to be different. More people eager go back to their holiday travels and the industry trying to recover.
Is it possible to check lower prices on Southwest with any of the flight tracking services where you can get an alert if the price drops?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
Is it possible to check lower prices on Southwest with any of the flight tracking services where you can get an alert if the price drops?
No, WN prevents these, you generally have to manually check

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Don't forget you have 24hrs to cancel once you book so if you book early then lower fares get loaded you can refund the original ticket and rebook and don't have to bank the funds
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
yrs back a service, just started or wanted to offer the tracking service for a small fee, got shutdown quickly by WN
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:34 am

No, WN prevents these, you generally have to manually check

Don't forget you have 24hrs to cancel once you book so if you book early then lower fares get loaded you can refund the original ticket and rebook and don't have to bank the funds
Southwest has generally threatened people who do that because it's a violations of their TOS, and according to some a violation of CFAA, but recently the Supreme COurt has taken a step to say that this may not be a criminal act. I don't think it is completely clear yet but it's looking better.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Schedules are open now for booking through Jan 5 2022.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:40 am

Programs: None
Two new destinations added in this extension.

From Bellingham:

- 1x daily BLI to Las Vegas (LAS)
- 2x daily BLI to Oakland (OAK)

From Syracuse:

- 3x daily SYR to Baltimore (BWI) from November 14, 2021
- 1x weekly SYR to Orlando (MCO) from November 20, 2021
N830MH and VirginiaDave like this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Just bought ISP>PBI for xmas week. Booked with points... Wanna Get Away fares seemed very reasonable as compared with previous years.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
WN add new nonstop flight ORD to Cancun, and MCI to Cancun.

WN to resume flight from FLL to NAS/PLS/MBJ/GCM/CUN and HOU to BZE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.