Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Was hopeful with booking decent priced holiday travel as soon as calendar was uploaded, I was disappointed in super high airfare.
In past years I was able to get good prices as soon as schedule went up, but today I am shocked.
Found nothing within my budget.
Do fares actually go down after a few hours?
I know, makes no sense, but that is what I hope for.
I agree, even with checked bag fees on other airlines it is a better deal. For our Christmas trip last year we got the tickets for about $200pp OW and this year they were $250-$350pp OW and I can book UA and DL for $50+pp cheaper. I am going to keep an eye on the flights today to see if, for some reason, the WGA fares drop (or maybe even see if the big 3 come in and undercut WN even more).

I was noticing more "book travel now" emails the last few days form other airlines than is usual.
​​​​

Last edited by N104UA; May 30, 2019 at 8:29 am
Old May 30, 2019, 8:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FindAWay
wonderful tip! Just curious for next extension - how early were you able to utilize this?
5:59 AM Pacific Time, when I posted about our refreshing morning.

Edited to add: I built that URL and pressed the yellow button every couple minutes until it gave me the flight selection page. I then got the "unable to price" response on my first several attempts.
FindAWay and N104UA like this.

Last edited by nsx; May 30, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old May 30, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jco613
Looks like we are getting some special holiday only destinations...

FLL gets SDF and CLE holiday week Saturday’s only
BHM is Sunday only for apparently the duration of the schedule.

Haven't dug into it but it looks like ORF gets SAN presumably for the holidays as well.
Nice! I'm glad they expanding more new route from FLL. I hope the route will done very well. Hoped they becomes daily flight in near the future.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:18 am

Feel better seeing others had trouble with fares as well. Had to move my Hawaii dates one day to save $450. Opening the schedule for Thanksgiving AND Christmas at the same time is sadistic.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:52 am

Same for Hawaii; had to move return from 12/1 to 12/2, but it is still tremendous value with the companion pass!
Old May 30, 2019, 10:09 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Hawaii flights around Thanksgiving were down to 1 or 2 $199 seats a few minutes ago.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Hawaii flights around Thanksgiving were down to 1 or 2 $199 seats a few minutes ago.
I'm assuming these are WGA fares? If so, were there previous WGA fares at a higher price, or only Anytime fares?
Old May 30, 2019, 10:41 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
I'm assuming these are WGA fares? If so, were there previous WGA fares at a higher price, or only Anytime fares?
I didn't check peak dates. The low fare calendar showed $199 and $179 all over the place. Most of those dates are still available at those fares.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by departingBOS
Same for Hawaii; had to move return from 12/1 to 12/2, but it is still tremendous value with the companion pass!

Ya, that's what made it worthwhile for me as well. 12/1 was a planned return from our Thanksgiving visit family trip that I had to move to the 2nd as well. That Sunday was a no go for everyone I bet.

I didn't see any $199 Hawaii fares in December for our date period unfortunately.

Going to LIH so have to see how that shakes out the next couple months. Could be making changes to all this anyways.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here's the PR:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300859265.html
Old May 30, 2019, 11:47 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Long Beach service might work well for segment runs where you have one aircraft making the turn.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dag16
Same. Was able to get outbound cheap flight by moving a day, but there were no get away fares available for return, and I was refreshing every minute till they were available for booking
+1 The schedule release was completely worthless for my needs. All the flights to Cancun are full fare (WGA purportedly "sold out") and for some dates much higher than competitors. And these are for undesirable times (i.e. 6am departures). The "low fare" calendar shows that holiday fares are basically 2x-3x higher than the same flights earlier in December.
kgkg likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:40 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 The schedule release was completely worthless for my needs. All the flights to Cancun are full fare (WGA purportedly "sold out") and for some dates much higher than competitors. And these are for undesirable times (i.e. 6am departures). The "low fare" calendar shows that holiday fares are basically 2x-3x higher than the same flights earlier in December.
Around here Southwest is notorious for opening the schedule at high fares for peak times. When the flights do not sell out Southwest relents on the fares about 8 weeks out. Other airlines seem better able to predict demand accurately. If you need to nail down a peak period flight months ahead Southwest is rarely your best buy. If you stay on top of fares as they fluctuate Southwest usually provides you the best value 4 to 8 weeks out.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by N104UA
I agree, even with checked bag fees on other airlines it is a better deal. For our Christmas trip last year we got the tickets for about $200pp OW and this year they were $250-$350pp OW and I can book UA and DL for $50+pp cheaper. I am going to keep an eye on the flights today to see if, for some reason, the WGA fares drop (or maybe even see if the big 3 come in and undercut WN even more).
​​​​
Yep, UA just opened up a bunch of W fares, $100 pp cheaper than WN.

Originally Posted by nsx

Around here Southwest is notorious for opening the schedule at high fares for peak times. When the flights do not sell out Southwest relents on the fares about 8 weeks out. Other airlines seem better able to predict demand accurately. If you need to nail down a peak period flight months ahead Southwest is rarely your best buy. If you stay on top of fares as they fluctuate Southwest usually provides you the best value 4 to 8 weeks out.
I agree, I do wonder what percent of Holiday flights WN sells on schedule release day, as this must be a massive cash influx. Last year I found that my Christmas flights kept dropping, luckily most of them were booked with points, and about late September or early October they dropped to maybe $50 more expensive than the normal fare on the route.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:57 pm

I've had holiday fares on points drop to ridiculously low prices several weeks before the flight.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.