Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG, WN, Marriott, United, US Airways
They better be released at $59 because I am heading to Orlando from PVD on the 5th!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by schleprock1024
They better be released at $59 because I am heading to Orlando from PVD on the 5th!

Or what??
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Or what??

Valid point!

Well $124 each way doesn't make sense for Southwest... I'd rather wait and get the $118 rate from US Airways, United, Northwest, or Delta. Right now it's only through May 23rd but this is pretty much a constant rate (if booked right). The $118 doesn't include taxes and 99.9% of the time isn't direct but $118 + taxes + 1 stop = better than $248 + taxes + no stops!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by schleprock1024
Valid point!

Well $124 each way doesn't make sense for Southwest... I'd rather wait and get the $118 rate from US Airways, United, Northwest, or Delta. Right now it's only through May 23rd but this is pretty much a constant rate (if booked right). The $118 doesn't include taxes and 99.9% of the time isn't direct but $118 + taxes + 1 stop = better than $248 + taxes + no stops!
I do believe our days of $59 fares to MCO are pretty much over for the foreseable future. $118 RT?, that's a great rate in the present climate, but I doubt you will see that also. I just went to US Air, and can't seem to find anything close to 118 at US Airs website, but perhaps I am not searching correctly. I came up with $540 RT with a stop! I'll keep waiting, gotta be any minute now!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: WN CP
No extension at 10AM CDT on 4/13.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by coachrick
I do believe our days of $59 fares to MCO are pretty much over for the foreseable future. $118 RT?, that's a great rate in the present climate, but I doubt you will see that also. I just went to US Air, and can't seem to find anything close to 118 at US Airs website, but perhaps I am not searching correctly. I came up with $540 RT with a stop! I'll keep waiting, gotta be any minute now!
Well as I said that $118 is only through May (23rd I believe)... I found it via air-fare.com and after clicking through (this was a few weeks ago) I could have booked a $118 fare, it came up on Northwest instead of US Airways though.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I can hardly believe that the schedule didn't open today. JetBlue just pushed its schedule into October!

On the other hand, given the trend (since a year ago) toward releasing sale fares only 8 to 12 weeks ahead (especially via Ding), extensions are becoming unimportant. Last summer for West Coast routes there were no serious August discounts after the April extension, and September discounts didn't appear until late July.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Consider this: The longer Southwest makes you wait, the less competitive the other airlines' fares will appear to be (because the other airlines' lowest-price buckets will be selling out).

If Southwest can "train" people not to buy tickets until Southwest opens its schedule, they can also appear to have a lower-priced product. Unsavvy travelers will never realize that they could have saved money by not waiting until Southwest opened its schedule.

In the most extreme case, if Southwest decided it would release its schedule no more than two weeks before the flights, they would always appear to have the lowest fares. And since Southwest is all about "training" the public to ignore the fact that there are other airlines with lower fares, this might just work.

Just a thought!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by justageek

In the most extreme case, if Southwest decided it would release its schedule no more than two weeks before the flights, they would always appear to have the lowest fares.
Good idea, but..... not too many will wait until 14 days ahead to get tickets if they are planning a vacation, etc. And many seats empty. And the poor cap. controlled Awards holders.... Hope they just take last minute vacation to wherever their is an open seat!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:09 am

quick question about the schedule extension....when it finally does open, do you get a notification from Ding! saying the dates have been extended?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:44 am

Yes, they've used DING! for that purpose.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by cepmom
quick question about the schedule extension....when it finally does open, do you get a notification from Ding! saying the dates have been extended?
Yes. And you can also sign up here.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:23 am

This morning's systemwide sale is good "through end of schedule," so maybe the schedule will be extended this Thursday, 4/20 at 10AM CDT?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:23 am

I was going with 20th also

Because I believe there are financial reports coming out and company executives sharing info with wall street. So, I don't they will procrastinate too much beyond tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:15 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
For those obsessing over the schedule, I just posted this elsewhere but figured I'd add it here ... the schedule extension today only puts the horizon at 146 days, the shortest since March 2003 was 144 days and the average of the last 26 extensions (including this one) is now 164 days. Given this I would expect the next schedule extension to be approximately 5 weeks away, so I'm putting in my prediction of 10:15 AM On Thursday, May 25th now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.