Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:21 pm

Dec.

Looking for possible projections for Southwest opening flights after Christmas.
Looking at flying the 26th and returning the 3rd from San Diego or LAX (which is cheaper?) to and from Houston.Thanks for any help!
Donna
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

There is a table of past schedule extension dates in the relevant section of the Wiki FAQ. In both 2008 and 2007 the schedule extension date for the holiday season was toward the end of June (27-Jun-2007, 26-Jun-2008). So I'll guess Thursday 25-Jun this year, give or take a week.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:41 am

Four out of five SWA web pages agree...

that the next schedule extension date has been pushed back to February 2. SWAVacations now also states February 2.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:04 pm

It's unanimous: Feb 2

The last holdout on the jury apparently has caved to peer pressure and joined the majority. The 29-Jan schedule extension date has been condemned!

Bill Owen and his co-conspirators must have been spending too much time on their Super Bowl party plans to meet the original estimated date.

...and WN LUVers are condemned to exercise extra restraint at their parties, or face fighting morning-after hangovers while booking their summer travel plans on Monday. Maybe competition for award seats on prime dates will be diminished, what with all the people still making their way home from TPA!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:17 am

Schedule through 14-Aug-2009

Now open for booking.

oops for a second or so, then offline, then back online another blink, then off again. back to waiting. now back on
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: WN CP
Thank goodness for ftnoob. The rest of us appear to be asleep at the switch this morning!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Bleh, I need to fly August 23rd!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:08 pm

I hear you dwebb. I was booking a 14-Aug outbound for four people. (Half the party has rarely, if ever, flown SWA. They had trouble with the notion that they would only be getting a one-way reservation!) Last year I also had a trip that straddled the mid-August schedule cutoff date. So I get to repeat the whole "camp out at the computer waiting for the schedule to go live" routine next time also.

The destination is the same for all, but origins are on different coasts. It was interesting that I had one reservation paid and confirmed while the booking engine was still reporting "You have requested flight information for a date that is beyond our current booking schedule" for one of two possible origins on the other coast.

Last edited by ftnoob; Feb 4, 2009 at 5:41 pm Reason: strike out memory hiccup
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
guys,
you may wanna check out Bill Owen's blog post.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
When was the last time the schedule opened on a Monday?

I did remember this last night, but I was not able to be near a computer this morning. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to book anything today!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:54 pm

HPN-HRL: 27-Aug-2007, according to the history in the Wiki FAQ.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Does this mean that LGA will necessarily be after Aug. 14?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:25 pm

Not the way I interpret the blog post linked above by SWABrian. For example, this sentence:
This initial June Schedule was built to make future changes easier, and less disruptive, when we may (or may not!) need to make them.
as well as the one before it.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:04 am

Six Most or all pages on southwest.com now have April 7 April 14 as the next schedule extension date. Somebody on the web team must have decided to use the Wiki FAQ for its list of all the pages that need to be updated.

Note that the predicted date is a Tuesday, not a Thursday as we used to always expect.

The next booking window is stated to be through Friday October 30.

ETA:Revised date courtesy of a post by dwebb, which led ftnoob to discover that the redesigned hotfares pages do not have the projected schedule extension dates.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm Reason: As noted above
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
ftnoob - thanks for the pointer to the schedule extension date table on the wiki. I wasted a little time looking up the days of the week for all the listed dates; it looks like only ~60% occured on a Thursday (27 out of 44). I thought it would be more like 90%!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.