Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Who's the #1 LCC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

So Who's the #1 LCC

When AmericaWest bought US Airways out of bankruptcy they said that they were going to vault over SouthWest and claim the spot of 6th largest U.S. Airline. Their marketing stuff also claims that they are the "World's Largest Low Cost Airline"... But according to the article below from the USA Today it sounds like SouthWest is reclaiming 6th place.
Does anyone know where SouthWest actually is on the list (6th or 7th)?

"Southwest posts 58th-straight quarterly profit
By Dan Reed, USA TODAY
FORT WORTH —

In a conference call, CEO Gary Kelly said the Dallas-based discounter will continue its aggressive growth by adding 33 planes this year to its fleet of 445 Boeing 737s.

That translates to about a 7% increase in flying capacity in 2006. It comes on top of an 11% annual increase in 2005.

The pace of growth promises to continue in 2007, when Southwest plans to add 35 more planes.

That growth, which in part is designed to fight rising operating costs at Southwest by spreading them over more airliner seats, is likely to push Southwest past Continental Airlines in terms of passenger miles flown by the end of this year. It would make Southwest the USA's fifth-largest carrier. "
Old Jan 21, 2006, 4:08 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I would like to have them move into the NYC market!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
It's a joke for the merged US Airways/America West to call themselves an LCC. They are so different from true LCCs like Southwest and JetBlue that it's silly to compare them.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
doesn't Long Island count as NYC? not techically, but practically
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:35 pm

I used ISP once for an NYC stay and would be reluctant to do it again. Too long a trip, subject to delays.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:58 pm

IIRC in a recent interview Kelly said they are considering LGA.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:15 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
LGA makes so much sense that it outweighs the high cost for gate space. But to make full use LGA, IMO, you'd have to do red-eyes.

Speaking of such, why doesn't WN do redeyes? Is it so there's enough downtime allowing early AM flights to almost ALWAYS depart on time?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by cur
LGA makes so much sense that it outweighs the high cost for gate space. But to make full use LGA, IMO, you'd have to do red-eyes.

Speaking of such, why doesn't WN do redeyes? Is it so there's enough downtime allowing early AM flights to almost ALWAYS depart on time?

Good question.

Maybe because they could not fill up flights? But I think they could do pretty well as SWAers seem to do unusual things.

Or do they not have enough long hauls to make them work. A flight leaving at 11pm from LAX would get to MDW about 4:30am (too early), where going all the way to East Coast would be about 6:30
am.

Also some fly plane out of high priced overnight parking airports, where WN does not have too many.

Also many need to get planes back to a destination for next day. ie. If a 6 am flight left NYC to LAX, it could go back to NYC, and then back to LAX by evening. But needs to get back to NYC for next day.

I'm sure there is a better explanation, but just some wild thoughts.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by cur
This question was asked on this forum in the past... I vaguely recall someone saying that they do use some of their aircraft for charter operations overnight. But Southwest has historically flown fairly short segments so there haven't been a lot of opportunities for redeyes. You might be able to support one flight from each west coast hub to each midwest and east coast hub, but it's probably not worth the cost of keeping all the ground crew working late hours just for that small number of flights.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by berkeleybum
doesn't Long Island count as NYC? not techically, but practically
Actually I'd consider it the other way around, technically, but not practically. I would much rather fly into Philly and go from there than fly into Islip.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Good question.

Maybe because they could not fill up flights? But I think they could do pretty well as SWAers seem to do unusual things.

Or do they not have enough long hauls to make them work. A flight leaving at 11pm from LAX would get to MDW about 4:30am (too early), where going all the way to East Coast would be about 6:30
am.

Also some fly plane out of high priced overnight parking airports, where WN does not have too many.

Also many need to get planes back to a destination for next day. ie. If a 6 am flight left NYC to LAX, it could go back to NYC, and then back to LAX by evening. But needs to get back to NYC for next day.

I'm sure there is a better explanation, but just some wild thoughts.

Last time I flew ATA: SFO-MDW-LGA the redeye was full on a 757 (leaving around 11, getting to Chicago around 5ish). But then again, it's ATA that's having problems not WN.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:18 am

ISP to New York City isn't that bad...

For $5 you can take a shuttle to the Ronkonkoma train station, and for $8 you can ride the Long Island Railroad right to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. The ride takes an hour and 20 minutes.

It would certainly be nicer if Southwest went to LGA or JFK, and I suspect the airline wishes they had taken the plunge a few years ago, namely before JetBlue came around.

Flying into ISP for a leisure trip to Manhattan is admittedly somewhat inconvenient, but workable.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:42 am

Check the LIRR schedules

How long it takes to get from ISP to Penn Station also depends on how well the plane and train schedules coordinate. Beware if you arrive in the late afternoon: there are no trains out of Ronkonkoma between 4.46 and 7.13, when most of the train stock is running outbound.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dan Burgess
For $5 you can take a shuttle to the Ronkonkoma train station, and for $8 you can ride the Long Island Railroad right to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan. The ride takes an hour and 20 minutes.
One of my sons does this frequently.

There is also the public bus that is only $1.50.

I believe it runs on the hour.
(It is not convenient all of the time, but it is nice when it is! I find the buses much nicer than the taxis/shuttle. And you don't have to tip the bus driver!)

Last edited by 4thplz; Jan 23, 2006 at 4:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.