FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   The Right to Fly Act will seek Wright amendment's end (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/436966-right-fly-act-will-seek-wright-amendments-end.html)

dfwman May 26, 2005 9:02 am

The Right to Fly Act will seek Wright amendment's end

Two Texas congressmen plan to introduce legislation, "The Right to Fly Act," in the House today (May 26) that will fully repeal Wright amendment flight restrictions at Dallas Love Field.

Republican Reps. Jeb Hensarling of Dallas and Sam Johnson of Plano have scheduled a news conference in Washington Thursday morning to announce their bill.

"If passed, consumers would see lower fares as a result of increased competition between air carriers," said the congressmen in their announcement.

Source: Dallas Morning News
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2ad0d8c09.html

cabinpressure Jun 3, 2005 9:04 am

Economist article

This week's Economist magazine has an article, titled "Texan airports: All they need is Love". Selected excerpts:

THE world's third-busiest airport by movement, Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW), boasts a fancy new inter-terminal train and is about to open a fifth terminal, for international flights. Love Field, best known (depending on your interests) either as the haunt of stewardesses in hot pants or as the airport where Jack Kennedy landed on the last day of his life, has none of those swank connections; but it is closer to central Dallas. And now it is the centre of a political row, involving two of America's biggest airlines.

“There is no need for Love Field,” says American's spokesman, adding that Southwest avoids Dallas-Fort Worth because it “can't make as much money as it would at Love Field.”

It is hard to imagine any other industry in America where that would be considered a slur. Nevertheless, the grubby capitalists at Southwest are undeterred. The airline has turned down more than $22m in incentives to move to DFW, because it prefers small airports with fast turnaround times. At DFW, “the average taxi times are about as long as some of our flights,” says Beth Hardin of Southwest. American will take its battle to Congress.

nsx Jun 3, 2005 9:21 am

Originally Posted by cabinpressure
At DFW, “the average taxi times are about as long as some of our flights,” says Beth Hardin of Southwest.

Now THAT is funny. ;)

raisin Jun 3, 2005 10:22 am

I just don't see this bill going anywhere. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the Bush administration would side with AA. And, if the administration doesn't want a bill, it doesn't happen in this Congress.

curbcrusher Jun 3, 2005 12:26 pm

But, but, I thought Republicans were the champions of the free market and deregulation!!

Dan Burgess Jun 3, 2005 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
But, but, I thought Republicans were the champions of the free market and deregulation!!

Don't forget balancing the budget and a smaller federal government.

JS Jun 3, 2005 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by cabinpressure
At DFW, “the average taxi times are about as long as some of our flights,” says Beth Hardin of Southwest. American will take its battle to Congress.

Are average taxi times at DFW as long as any flights outside the Wright perimeter? :confused:

Oh, that's right, we're all assuming that Southwest would have to totally shut down Love Field and move all operations to DFW, in order to operate any long-haul service from DFW. Sorry, I forgot. :rolleyes:

ByrdluvsAWACO Jun 3, 2005 12:47 pm

I like Wright!

Maybe AA can get a congress member to slip in a poison-pill amendment, or maybe a measure to force WN to give up some percentage of gates to allow for the "real" competition WN is claiming doesn't exist.

Dan Burgess Jun 3, 2005 12:52 pm

Doesn't AA have three gates at DAL that they aren't using?

dfwman Jun 3, 2005 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dan Burgess
Doesn't AA have three gates at DAL that they aren't using?

AA has three gates at DAL they are not using and the Master Plan prohibits carriers from gate squatting.

JS Jun 3, 2005 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dfwman
AA has three gates at DAL they are not using and the Master Plan prohibits carriers from gate squatting.

The Master Plan does not require the City of Dallas to actively monitor gate usage. The way it works is if another airline wants a gate, and the city has one available (I think they're all leased out), then the city will ask the airlines if they have spare gates, and if so (such as the 3 gates AA has, which are obviously spare), the new airline gets them. If all the gates are in use, then the city can build up to 10 more gates in the offices currently serving as Southwest training facilities. I didn't see anything in the Master Plan that deals with a situation where all 32 gates are in use and another airline wants them, probably because that won't happen under the Wright Amendment, which was assumed to be in force when the Master Plan was written. It will be interesting should the Wright Amendment be repealed.

kerflumexed Jun 6, 2005 7:56 am

Some Wright Amendment Humor

Link to US Aviation

curbcrusher Jun 6, 2005 9:03 am

Now THAT is funny.

JRF Jun 6, 2005 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dan Burgess
Don't forget balancing the budget and a smaller federal government.

Today Republicans stand for bigger govt (requireing feed tubes in sick people) and unlimited spending (number of spending bills the president has veto'd... very few.) Time have changed the current Republican party is not the party of the past.

curbcrusher Jun 6, 2005 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
(number of spending bills the president has veto'd... very few.)

Wrong. The correct number is zero.

Fiscal responsibili-what?