Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

R/T ticketless travel vouchers for sale on eBay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/T ticketless travel vouchers for sale on eBay

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Thanks for all you help, I just wanted to make sure there were no unknown restriction I would encounter using these for my daughter. Appreciate all your help!
Old May 19, 2005, 7:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WN LUVS U
I've said it MANY times on this board. The focus on the selling of Rapid Reward tickets has increased over the last 6 months. I know for a fact accounts have been suspended. I'll leave it at that.
Thing is, the threat of suspension doesn't carry the weight with SouthWest as it would with the legacy carriers. With SouthWest, there is no status or other perks that will go away when your account is suspended. Plus, the credits expire in 12 months anyway. So, even if they take away your current credits, they're merely "accelerating" that expiration. It's not like having 500,000 wiped out of your American Airlines account overnight.

The only substantial loss I can think of is the cancellation of existing RR awards. If someone has a dozen sitting in their account (that would need to be used in the next 12 months) and lost them, that would be a fairly effective penalty. However, call me crazy, but I'm guessing that if someone is selling their awards on EBAY, they probably haven't gotten to the point where they've let their balance grow to 12 awards. Those awards would have been monetized long ago.
Old May 19, 2005, 7:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeMont
The only substantial loss I can think of is the cancellation of existing RR awards.
How about the loss of ability to earn awards on future flights? I'll bet many of these people fly short-hauls in TX and other markets where WN is the only reasonable choice. For an FTer, earning zero miles per flight is a fate worse than death.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:02 pm

I'd have to agree with GeorgeMont. I'd much rather have my SWA RR account closed than my UAL account closed. And like I've said in another thread, it probably wouldn't be too hard to open up another RR account in a slightly different name and still fly (and accumulate credits) on SWA. That is, unless your name is something like Romlin Gostovich and you in some little podunk town in Georgia or something. Then is might be a bit trickier to come up with a similar name that will pass TSA security booths.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by maxima01
I have noticed that there are many R/T ticketless travel vouchers on sale on eBay. There were many on auction when I checked today, looks like a lot of people are trying to turn their rewards into cash. From what I saw, looks like the average price was $300+. Almost all auctions are for a book of 12 drink coupons, plus a FREE R/T voucher. My guess would be this is how they skirt the laws against some sort of ticket scalping.

Does anyone know if SW frowns on this auctioning of rewards? Or if this is illegal or against SW's policies?
From looking at feedback of many purchasers of these tix, most seem to be extremely satisfied. Seems to be some people are making some nice money on the side doing this.

Speak up if you have bought or sold any of your SW rewards on eBay. Would like to hear people's experiences.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:22 am

Hello saw your concern. I posted S/W vouchers six (6) $100.00 vouchers on ebay for 7 days. Ebay removed them. This was the information I had posted: Redemption Rules:

1. The gift certificates may only be redeemed for air travel on Southwest Airlines.
2. The gift certificates may be exchanged for a ticket at a Southwest Airline ticket counter or travel agency
3. The certificates must be redeemed and travel must be completed by the expiration date on the gift certificate.
4. If the full amount of the certificate is not used at one time, the remaining portion will be issued in the form of a Travel Voucher. The Travel Voucher will expire on the same date as the original gift certificate.
5. The certificate is nonrefundable and has no cash value. Validity period will not be extended.
6. Certificates are transferable. Southwest Airlines will not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed certificates.

I am individual people, who purchase a automobile, and these vouchers were given to me by the automobile dealer in which I purchased from. I am not a ticket agency, or a person who has a conflict of interest in selling airfare.

I did not have this last paragraph, so I posted elsewhere and then submitted that information.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:55 pm

My sister-in-law occasionally sells a RR voucher she won't be using on eBay, but just recently had her auction taken down by eBay. Ebay rules for these are strict: 1) must list them in "Travel: Other Travel", 2) cannot use the word "ticket(s) anywhere. (She did not violate either of these rules) They seem to have gotten more strict, which leads us to 3) Apparently now they are sometimes (but not always) enforcing the fine print: that which applies in the instance of RR in this instance is: "the seller may play no role in arranging any travel other than delivering the item."

This means her auction was apparently taken down for stating in it that "Buyer must provide information on desired flight(s), plus full name of traveler as it appears on governmint issued photo-ID. Seller then will book your flight(s) for you and provide you with Confirmation #." She has sold these from time to time on eBay for years, but never a problem with rule #3 until now. And she notices less and less auctions describe this process. So she suspects that ebay is now taking down a lot of these auctions. Many now just say it is a RT voucher for sale, with little other information, other than perhaps "email with any questions". She resold the RR that got taken down by putting it in a plain vanilla auction as-described, but there are now problems with the sale, because the buyer doesn't understand how the process works, and didn't email and ask before buying.

She wonders if it is worth "bobbing and weaving around the ebay enforcers" & dealing with misunderstandings on the part of buyers due to not being able to fully inform them of the process in the auction description, in order to occasionally liquidate an extra RR voucher on ebay. The reason being, rule #3 apparently makes selling RR completely against the rules on ebay, now matter how one words the auction description, since the seller has to book the flight. Therefore, if ebay wants to really crack down, they can refuse any listings, or just take down all listings, of Southwest Airlines "voucher", "RT", or "Rapid Rewards". It appears that S-West Air must be putting pressure on ebay, otherwise, why would ebay hassle the sellers of RR?? Ebay does nothing but make money on sale of the fees.

She wonders if there are other better places to occasionally convert her extra RR vouchers to $? Since she gives me a sizable discount on these from time to time, and since she knows I am kind of a 'forum guy', as she calls it, I was 'delegated' to research the issue for her ...

Originally Posted by ccobbcal
I just listed three RR ticketless vouchers on e-bay and the very next day e-bay closed my auctoin stating that it was not allowed and that my account would be suspended if I tried to sell them again. I want to travel in January, but two of the vouchers expire before that, I thought I'd sell them and then use the money to buy tickets in January when they become available. I just tried to extend the two that are expiring in August and September and found I had to pay $50 to do this. Needless to say I am frustrated because there are tons of vouchers being sold on e-bay. I have sold one about a year ago so I am not a big seller. I don't understand why mine got closed and others did not? It seems like it should be the same for everyone.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: Pualani Platinum
Originally Posted by 7travel
My sister-in-law occasionally sells a RR voucher she won't be using on eBay, but just recently had her auction taken down by eBay. Ebay rules for these are strict: 1) must list them in "Travel: Other Travel", 2) cannot use the word "ticket(s) anywhere. (She did not violate either of these rules) They seem to have gotten more strict, which leads us to 3) Apparently now they are sometimes (but not always) enforcing the fine print: that which applies in the instance of RR in this instance is: "the seller may play no role in arranging any travel other than delivering the item."

This means her auction was apparently taken down for stating in it that "Buyer must provide information on desired flight(s), plus full name of traveler as it appears on governmint issued photo-ID. Seller then will book your flight(s) for you and provide you with Confirmation #." She has sold these from time to time on eBay for years, but never a problem with rule #3 until now. And she notices less and less auctions describe this process. So she suspects that ebay is now taking down a lot of these auctions. Many now just say it is a RT voucher for sale, with little other information, other than perhaps "email with any questions". She resold the RR that got taken down by putting it in a plain vanilla auction as-described, but there are now problems with the sale, because the buyer doesn't understand how the process works, and didn't email and ask before buying.

She wonders if it is worth "bobbing and weaving around the ebay enforcers" & dealing with misunderstandings on the part of buyers due to not being able to fully inform them of the process in the auction description, in order to occasionally liquidate an extra RR voucher on ebay. The reason being, rule #3 apparently makes selling RR completely against the rules on ebay, now matter how one words the auction description, since the seller has to book the flight. Therefore, if ebay wants to really crack down, they can refuse any listings, or just take down all listings, of Southwest Airlines "voucher", "RT", or "Rapid Rewards". It appears that S-West Air must be putting pressure on ebay, otherwise, why would ebay hassle the sellers of RR?? Ebay does nothing but make money on sale of the fees.

She wonders if there are other better places to occasionally convert her extra RR vouchers to $? Since she gives me a sizable discount on these from time to time, and since she knows I am kind of a 'forum guy', as she calls it, I was 'delegated' to research the issue for her ...

Smells bait...

Swims away.......
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by 7travel
The reason being, rule #3 apparently makes selling RR completely against the rules on ebay, now matter how one words the auction description, since the seller has to book the flight.
Not neccessarily. Seller could theoretically give buyer RR # and Password and buyer could make their own arrangements. If eBay description is vague enough, eBay couldn't enforce rule #3, although it doesn't seem to stop them from cancelling auctions. What I have seen in the last several months is that about once every few weeks eBay will cancel all SWA RR auctions (I suppose this is done to appease SWA because this is losing eBay a good amount of revenue [~$25 eBay/Paypal fees per RR sold] as eBay RR award sales are down ~75% in the past several months). Within hours, people are re-listing their RR tix and within probably a day the listings are back to a normal level until eBay pulls the trigger again weeks later and cancels RR auctions again. So just try re-listing......

Last edited by nsx; Sep 4, 2005 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:27 pm

When push comes to shove, all that the folks at LUV need to do to get the ebay folks to crack down is to point out that they are members of the infamous/hated VERO Program, for info about VERO click here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html , and the Southwest VERO page is here: http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rid=101359hood
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:05 pm

Anyone know where I can get vouchers for Europe from the USA?

I would love to hear if anyone has used the vouchers or mileages to go from the USA to Europe?

I'm trying to locate some vouchers and mileages so that I can make our move to Denmark less expensive.

Anyone have an Idea or info please let me know.

~Thank You~
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
First of all, Southwest does not fly anywhere near Europe,

also, you necro'ed a thread from 8 years ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.