Wiki Posts
Search

Comp to Elite Status from SWA Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Comp to Elite Status from SWA Travel?

I have accumulated roughly 250 RR credits in the last 12 months, giving me more free tickets than I can use, and have qualified and requalified for a companion pass. Has anyone been comped to elite status on another airline based solely on SWA travel frequency? Some of those long segments would be nice to fly on a different airline for a change.

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:26 pm

I have never heard of anybody being comped from SWA to another airline, but it can't hurt asking. I'm sure they wouldn't comp you to the highest tier, but they may comp you to mid-tier or low-tier. If you fax the other airlines your flight activity and tell them you want to shift much of your travel to them, they'd at least look at it and would be stupid not to comp you something. But then again, I don't know if they would view SWA as an "equal competitor". But definitely let us know how it goes, I'm kinda curious myself now that you mention it.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'll bet it works

If you can show 100 flights per year in a market that another airline serves, I'm confident they will comp you to the same level as a top-tier customer from another airline. The problem is that few traditional carriers can survive in markets heavily served by WN. Fortunately for us, WN doesn't inflate fares after it drives competitors out of a market.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:01 pm

I'm really interested in this as well. I honestly don't see any reason they shouldn't comp you to at least a gold/mid level especially if you were flying last minute business trips paying for fully refundable fares. I know fully refundable on WN is a joke compared to others but it still means you are a decently paying customer and thats something most of these financially troubled airlines should not scoff at.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN,AA,UA
Didn't fly even once this year. About to fly next month and hope WN sent me a note like last time - if I fly twice in the next three month, I get a free rr tix + the rr points still in the bank.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raconteur
Has anyone been comped to elite status on another airline based solely on SWA travel frequency?
I don't believe anybody has reported doing so here on FlyerTalk, but like others, I think your chances would be good. What airlines are you looking at and/or what is your home airport? The reason I ask is because if AA is a decent option, you could sign up for a Gold or Platinum Challenge and get status fairly quickly even if you do not qualify for a regular comp.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Why would they comp you elite status when you have already demonstrated that you'll fly coach 100% the time without it??

If you do plan to switch your business away from WN and keep up your volume, you'll have top tier status at a major airline pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by Raconteur
I have accumulated roughly 250 RR credits in the last 12 months, giving me more free tickets than I can use, and have qualified and requalified for a companion pass. Has anyone been comped to elite status on another airline based solely on SWA travel frequency? Some of those long segments would be nice to fly on a different airline for a change.

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2004, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Why would they comp you elite status when you have already demonstrated that you'll fly coach 100% the time without it??
Why wouldn't they? A person who flies dozen and dozens of flights is a pretty valuable customer even though the travel is solely in economy class. Would the airlines prefer to embrace a premium cabin traveler? Absolutely. Should they be turning up their nose at a new and potentially loyal repeat business economy class flyer? Absolutely not.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Reward flights to nowhere.

I have accumulated roughly 250 RR credits in the last 12 months, giving me more free tickets than I can use
My question to you is why would you fly WN after achieving the Companion level or whatever that is? If you know that you're not gong to use the tickets why not put some of that flying time on a airline where you can redeem for some real rewards.

Some of those long segments would be nice to fly on a different airline for a change.
I really don't know how you guys do it. Same plane every flight. No variety.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN RR,UA MP,AA
What is the "real rewards"? I would like to get it.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by lassen2545
Hmmm.........
Cont USA ----> Hawaii
Cont USA ----> Carribbean
Cont USA ----> Europe
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
My question to you is why would you fly WN after achieving the Companion level or whatever that is? If you know that you're not gong to use the tickets why not put some of that flying time on a airline where you can redeem for some real rewards.
For once I agree with Mr. America West. Why do you fly so much on SWA? There isn't much of a reason to fly SWA over 100 credits per year if you aren't taking advantage of the C.P. on that particular flight and especially if you can't use all the free RR tix you accumulate. Although I guess convenience is a big factor depending on where you are located and where you fly.......
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Real Rewards over Rapid Regrets.

Using HP miles, I have a VS LAX-LHR award flight in UC booked for Feb.

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Hmmm.........
Cont USA ----> Hawaii
Cont USA ----> Carribbean
Cont USA ----> Europe
Don't forget...

USA ----> S. America
USA ----> Asia
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I really don't know how you guys do it. Same plane every flight. No variety.
Come on - there are HUGE differences betwen those old -300s with the non-adjustable lights and the newer -300 and -700 models.

Besides, if you're not lucky enough to live in a hub city (like PHX for HP), then you can end up connecting in one of 40+ cities instead of the same tired old places time after time. Now that's variety.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN,AA,UA
Talking

I think one good thing for fly swa is what you see in the ebay, where people redeem their spendings on swa for cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.