Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Overweight Passenger Sues Southwest Over Seating Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight Passenger Sues Southwest Over Seating Policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I won't fly SWA for a few reasons. Yes, I'm a big guy. Most of "me" goes forward, I fit in a seat, but I think they don't enforce the rule evenhandedly. I obviously choose to fly an airline that *does* have bigger seats, and where first class seats are the norm for a frequent flyer, and not the cattle car approach.
That's a perfectly good reason not to fly SWA. If you are a FREQUENT flyer, especially since you are from PHX, it seems a better FF strategy to fly America West to get the free First Class upgrades. I recall they offer unlimited 1st Class upgrades based on availability to their highest tier members. That is why I myself don't know if I would fly SWA if I were a COS. Although again, if I were a COS they threw that triple credit offer (which actually would be a 6X offer) at me, I'd be flying in my two seats on SWA in a heartbeat and I'd have my CP within 2 days.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by skaman
[email address]

Tell her what you think of her frivolous law suit.
Just catching up with this thread.

Whatever you think of the merits of this case, I think it's inappropriate to post someone's email address on this board. Even if it was not difficult for you to track down. I would request that you consider editing your message to remove it.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:09 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't hate SW though. I've flown SW probably 40 times in my life, and enjoyed the low fares. They are great for lowering fares in the markets they enter. That works to my advantage.

<snip>

I would, however, hope that SW employees would go to the extra effort that they did for the tall 15 year old to accomodate a COS.
There are definately reasons I fly them or recommend them to people, but it's not the top of the option list. If you just want a simple r/t ticket, they might not be your best option. If you want a one-way, multi-stopover, or something else a little weird, then their pricing structure might be better. If you're a status flier, then obviously that airline colors your decision to continue collecting status/upgrades/drink vouchers/credits or miles but for others, they just want the best time in a safe plane, so that's the recommendation I make for them.

I met the supervisor that was working the exit row angle for the 15 y/o when I was connecting onto US in LAX a while back, and she's just as nice as the camera portrays. I'd imagine that she'd do the extra work for a COS (or as we originally thought we heard, a Customer Of Width).
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:48 pm
Original Member

To each his own, I guess. I'm a "status flyer" and value CP level on Southwest much more highly than whatever nebulous benefits I received as an elite flyer on the bankrupt airlines.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm far less concerned with consistency or an objective rule than I am with ensuring that I'm the only person seated in my seat (though my wife can sit on my lap if she wants ).
Anything that's so severely subjective is simply bad business. And I wasn't referring to the lady on the show when I mentioned inconsistent enforcement -- I know several COS who fly on a regular basis, and it's hit-or-miss whether they're asked to buy a second ticket.

And to say that they couldn't lose a lawsuit because obesity isn't classified as a disability is ludicrous. ADA isn't the only grounds for a class action lawsuit of this type. WN can't discriminate based on age, which is not a disability, or on race, which isn't a disability, either. In cases when an older passenger seems in ill-health, WN doesn't leave the decision up to their agents: they make clear you have to have a doctor's approval -- a clear case of them having an outside, expert source (which in place of complete objectivity is the next best thing). You say having a "does it fit?" seat next to the "does it fit?" carry-on bag test box wouldn't work because there's no way it could work. I disagree. You could simply have two criteria: your seat belt must fit around you and/or your body cannot spill over the sides of the seat. At least, then, the rules would be clear.

I'm not saying WN doesn't handle this policy about as sensitively as they can. I just think it's poorly formulated, and, because of that, opens the airline to a lot of criticism. It's unlike WN to have such a fuzzy set of rules. Come up with something, make it specific as possible, and enforce it consistently.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Tino
...whatever nebulous benefits I received as an elite flyer on the bankrupt airlines.
Give-me-a-break.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gutt22
Anything that's so severely subjective is simply bad business. And I wasn't referring to the lady on the show when I mentioned inconsistent enforcement -- I know several COS who fly on a regular basis, and it's hit-or-miss whether they're asked to buy a second ticket.
It may be bad business but, to be honest, as long as it keeps someone else out of my seat, I really don't care.

And to say that they couldn't lose a lawsuit because obesity isn't classified as a disability is ludicrous. ADA isn't the only grounds for a class action lawsuit of this type. WN can't discriminate based on age, which is not a disability, or on race, which isn't a disability, either.
WN is an interstate business, which means it is subject to Title 6 (or was it 7 -- I don't recall at this point). The law prohibits discrimination against protected classes. Age is _not_ a protected class, except with respect to anyone over 40 for employment purposes. Gender, race and national origin all _are_ protected classes, and illegal discrimination is prohibited. Marital status is a protected class with respect to housing. Weight is not a protected class, as a matter of law.

I could, if I chose, run an airline that excludes overweight people, people under 5' tall (unless they had a disability), and all children, without violating any law.

In cases when an older passenger seems in ill-health, WN doesn't leave the decision up to their agents: they make clear you have to have a doctor's approval -- a clear case of them having an outside, expert source (which in place of complete objectivity is the next best thing).
The only reason they do this is to avoid incurring liability. The legal term is "assumption of risk." There is no law that requires them to do so.

You say having a "does it fit?" seat next to the "does it fit?" carry-on bag test box wouldn't work because there's no way it could work. I disagree.
I said that having a fixed standard, such as whether a seat belt extender was required, or a requiring passengers to be under a certain waist size, doesn't address the problem, since body shape is more a determinative than any other criterion, and body shape varies from person to person.

I'm not saying WN doesn't handle this policy about as sensitively as they can. I just think it's poorly formulated, and, because of that, opens the airline to a lot of criticism. It's unlike WN to have such a fuzzy set of rules. Come up with something, make it specific as possible, and enforce it consistently.
Just keep people out of my seat, and I'm happy.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by swag
Just catching up with this thread.

Whatever you think of the merits of this case, I think it's inappropriate to post someone's email address on this board. Even if it was not difficult for you to track down. I would request that you consider editing your message to remove it.
Google. 0.17 seconds:

http://www.warmspirit.com/fam_abo_nadine.jsp
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:55 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
Just keep people out of my seat, and I'm happy.
And that's fine -- I think we're agreeing here more than it seems on the surface. I want them to keep people out of my seat, too. I just want them to do it 100% of the time. The way the policy stands now, they're not doing it. It's a crummy, vague way to do business.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by gutt22
I just want them to do it 100% of the time.
Does any large business ever enforce any policy 100% of the time? By that standard, what policies COULD be enforced?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Strephon
The lawsuit claims that had Thompson not been "a large African-American woman, she would not have been subjected" to the two-seat policy.

The lawsuit contends white male passengers of similar size aren't subject to the requirement.
Interesting no one has said this before - it appears the lawsuit is NOT attacking the policy itself, rather the fact that the policy is inconsistently applied.

This is in keeping with what others have posted that the policy, on its face, is legal.

Probably a good move by her lawyer since by doing his research he would know that that argument has been tested in court before and has lost.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Inconsistently applied? I've flown over 300 segments on Southwest metal, and I've never been asked to purchase a 2nd seat.

Looks 100% consistent to me...
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Does any large business ever enforce any policy 100% of the time? By that standard, what policies COULD be enforced?
Absolutely right. You only want to enforce this policy if the flight is full. Otherwise, let the person use two seats. The GA has a difficult job discerning who is too large, it's subjective. Not to mention the uncomfortable tension that will result between the PAC, the GA, and the surrounding PAC's that will overhear. This rule should be enforced only as a last result when a free double seat is not available. WN is right by not enforcing this policy when they do not need to.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by MIKEM
Absolutely right. You only want to enforce this policy if the flight is full. Otherwise, let the person use two seats. The GA has a difficult job discerning who is too large, it's subjective. Not to mention the uncomfortable tension that will result between the PAC, the GA, and the surrounding PAC's that will overhear. This rule should be enforced only as a last result when a free double seat is not available. WN is right by not enforcing this policy when they do not need to.
But if the flight is an oversell the COS won't be able to purchase a second seat without displacing a customer that bought the appropriate number of seats. What's worse, bumping a normal sized PAX so COS can purchase a second seat or telling COS there isn't a second seat available so he's getting bumped?

Reserving a second seat allows COS to get a second BP and actually (slightly) increases the probability that there be an empty seat so COS gets a refund.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA1k
What a lively debate! I have to agree with the policy on its merit from both a business or financial aspect as well as from a customer service aspect (meaning serving the passenger who is left with half a seat because the COS cannot put down the armrest and is occupying half of my seat!) I do NOT agree with a relaxed attitude about enforcement because that may be just the thing that causes them to lose one of these lawsuits. They are in a tough position though....they are trying to make it fair and therefore giving a free extra flow-over seat in cases where the flight is not completely full (which I think is 100% fair) and therefore it is a flight by flight issue to be handled typically within the 20 minutes before take-off.

Maybe one solution is that they position the turnstiles/ropes in such a way that they mimic the width of a seat with the armrest lowered. Therefore, if you cannot approach the counter without knocking over the ropes you are aware in advance that you will have to purchase a 2nd ticket!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.