Classic Visa card gone?

Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Classic Visa card gone?

I am unable to locate a link to an online application for the $39 Classic Visa card with the 4-credit signup bonus. Has it been discontinued? All I can find is the $59 Signature card.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:42 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Originally Posted by nsx
I am unable to locate a link to an online application for the $39 Classic Visa card with the 4-credit signup bonus. Has it been discontinued? All I can find is the $59 Signature card.
I think so - my impression is that the new cards gave them a convenient excuse to drop the $39 classic.

You might want to call the customer service # at Chase/BankOne/FirstUSA at 800-792-0001 to confirm, though.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta
They still make references to the classic card at www.cardmemberservices.com, but I don't see an application. If you click on "Pricing" they list both $59 for Signature and $39 for Classic. And the fine print at the bottom of the Signature application site says:

"In certain circumstances, you may receive a Classic card with a credit line up to $5,000 instead of a Signature card. The Classic card benefits and rewards are different from the Signature card benefits and rewards."
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:44 pm

I obtained one for myself two months ago and one for my mother in mid-July. You have to call the 800 number and be very specific about what you want. Tell them that you want the personal classic card for $39. They may tell you that it's not available, but press on. I had to call back a second time to obtain a different rep. when I wanted to obtain one for my mother. Make sure that you confirm the annual fee and 4 bonus credits. I don't trust anyone anymore.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Thanks. Phoning in the application seems to have worked for me. They called it a Standard (rather than Classic) card, but the terms are correct. The only painful part is listening to the terms and conditions for almost 10 full minutes! That's where applying on the Internet really pays off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.