FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Is the rumor true ?? SWA to Pensacola ??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/312085-rumor-true-swa-pensacola.html)

tatmtr7 Apr 9, 2004 12:47 pm

Is the rumor true ?? SWA to Pensacola ???

I heard this from a friend that SWA will be soon flying to Pensacola. Has anyone else heard this rumor?? It would be great for Navy people.

WN LUVS U Apr 9, 2004 7:51 pm

Is your "friend"s name Herb Kelleher? ;)

nsx Apr 9, 2004 7:59 pm

I swear it wasn't I!

jsjax37 Apr 10, 2004 10:19 am

Interesting you should bring this up. My wife was flying DL from ATL - VPS last week, and sat next to a military officer that struck up a conversation with her. He said basically the same thing, except that WN was looking at VPS, which is about 35-40 miles to the east of PNS. I personally find it hard to believe WN would go to VPS, and even PNS might be a stretch. However, I think there is probably a great deal of military traffic in the area with NAS Pensacola, and Eglin AFB to the east. I could see WN doing pretty well with flights to JAX, ORF, and BWI at the very least, and perhaps BNA and BHM for the vacationers to the gulf coast area. I for one hope the rumors of WN to PNS are true, as getting to PNS from here in JAX is a pain in the a**. It is almost more efficient to drive the 5 1/2 - 6 hours than to change planes in ATL. I would love to hear what others think.

ConnFlyer Apr 10, 2004 7:45 pm

I tend to think PNS or VPS are a tad small for WN. Now I know that WN does serve other markets similar in size to PNS, but in more recent times WN has been trending toward larger markets. One key to success for WN is constant growth...which keeps costs in line by always adding new employees to balance out the more senior ones.

A market like PNS might be profitable for WN, but how much would it grow over the course of 1, 3, 5 and 10 years? Many of WN's smaller markets have really stagnated...when was the last time WN added a flight at MAF, JAN or GEG?? That's one reason why WN chose PHL...lots of growth potential.

There have been rumors for years that VPS and PFN would build a joint airport in between the two cities and that WN would start service. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Until VPS gets its new terminal built, I can guarantee you that you won't see WN. VPS also has limits on the number of commercial flights allowed because of the fact that its also an Air Force base. WN might bump into that ceiling.

Should note that PNS does already have one low-fare carrier, Airtran, which seems to be doing ok. I don't know if PNS could support two of them.

Could PNS or VPS happen? Yes, but I don't see it in the short term.

jsjax37 Apr 19, 2004 8:39 pm

Wife was flying again, this time on WN from FLL to MCO. Sat next to a WN pilot deadheading to MCO, struck up a conversation with him. In the course of the conversation, he stated that PNS is in the top 4 of cities being considered for WN service. Wouldn't make a lot of this, but this is the third time in the past several weeks she's heard this rumor or a slight variation of the rumor from 3 different people. Could there be something to it?

GSP flyer Apr 19, 2004 10:46 pm

PLEASE,pretty please

WN come to GSP/CLT/CAE. I'm tired of getting raped repeatedly by the big 6.

drtravel Jul 6, 2008 7:47 am

Resurrecting the rumor, WN to PNS

Ok, this is just wishful thinking, but there is no WN service between New Orleans and Jacksonville. The Florida panhandle is such a Southwest kinda area.

This area needs flight competition badly; the prices to there are outrageous - even before higher fuel prices. I don't get to see my mother as often as I would like because there is such poor flight availability and cost of service to PNS, VPS, or MOB.

Anybody in Pensacola lobbying the Chamber of Commerce to meet with Southwest and let them know how this would boost the area economy?

drt

DontCallMeShirley Jul 6, 2008 9:04 am

As cabin crew, we thrive on rumors and LUV to toss them around. And, you tend to really start hearing the same ones over and over again. I wouldn't make to much of it. When something truly DOES happen, the pilots and f/a's are usually the last ones to know....seriously, lol.

Originally Posted by jsjax37 (Post 2751055)
Wife was flying again, this time on WN from FLL to MCO. Sat next to a WN pilot deadheading to MCO, struck up a conversation with him. In the course of the conversation, he stated that PNS is in the top 4 of cities being considered for WN service. Wouldn't make a lot of this, but this is the third time in the past several weeks she's heard this rumor or a slight variation of the rumor from 3 different people. Could there be something to it?

Beckles Jul 6, 2008 10:52 am

While I have no doubt WN could fly to PNS or maybe even VPS successfully, I believe there are probably a lot of other markets that would be more profitable for WN to begin service to, including something in the Southeast like CLT or GSP or maybe even somewhere in the Northeast like LGA as the legacies cut service there.

gmax58 Jul 6, 2008 12:52 pm

I'll put in a selfish request for PNS ;) (I'm a fan of WN and will definitely miss it when I have to move to VPS/PNS.) I'd be somewhat willing to drive to JAX, but only for the flights to PHL and other similar nonstops...

BNA-WNFan Jul 6, 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by gmax58 (Post 9989559)
I'll put in a selfish request for PNS ;) (I'm a fan of WN and will definitely miss it when I have to move to VPS/PNS.) I'd be somewhat willing to drive to JAX, but only for the flights to PHL and other similar nonstops...

You may have better luck flying out of BHM.. it's closer at least. When I visit the area around VPS I fly the ultra-short hop from BNA-BHM and drive the remaining four hours.

SWABrian Jul 7, 2008 7:16 am

Well, one part of the post is correct, we are looking at the market. BUT, that is Schedule Planning's daily duty, they look at LOTS of markets including others that have been mentioned here on FT. There are maybe ten or so markets that get looked at on the most regular basis--not sure in PNS is on that list, however. HERE's the catch: just because we look at a market doesn't mean we will open a station there. For the first 11 years I was at SWA, we were looking at DEN, but conditions were never right. Since we are in baseball season, put it in a baseball context. We compile scouting reports on possible locations, but it doesn't mean that we will trade for that player.

We would be remiss if we didn't look at all of the possible new markets and we do, from coast to coast and border to border (and maybe beyond), but looking and buying are very different things.

Brian