Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines Plans Cabin, Seats, Uniform Refresh

Southwest Airlines Plans Cabin, Seats, Uniform Refresh

Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: all over
Posts: 1,968
Southwest Airlines Plans Cabin, Seats, Uniform Refresh

Wonder how many additional seats this will add!

https://airwaysmag.com/southwest-cab...iform-refresh/
N830MH likes this.
ajthegreat is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Posts: 131
New Seats Coming

SW Press Release

OMAAT Commentary

Seems like it would maybe allow an extra row as the likeliest option. Although I suppose it could lower weight but I'd think the added power outlets and wiring would make up for the most of that.
N830MH likes this.
mloradites is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:26 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,567
Slimmer and lightweight seats could mean densifying the cabin without taking away legroom. At least as the best-case scenario.

Not necessary to single out "free in-flight entertainment" as a limited-time offer.

All bonuses and rewards are reversible.
LegalTender is online now  
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,538
VFTW got confirmation from WN that the seating layouts shouldn't change, at least for the 800s/MAX 8s, with 175.

Max 7s (if they ever arrive) will almost certainly stay with 150 (they've been planning that for several years) given cramming an extra row on top of that would require a 4th FA.

Seats look fairly thin. If they are the same ones F9 has been installing the past couple years (Recaro SL3710) but with some additional options, it shouldn't be awful. The new Frontier seats aren't too bad (although I'm definitely comparing it in my head to the previous gen seats F9 had for planes delivered prior to March 2021 which were godawful). But, it wouldn't shock me if the padding here is less than the current generation.
lowfareair is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ABQ
Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Posts: 1,429
Originally Posted by lowfareair
VFTW got confirmation from WN that the seating layouts shouldn't change, at least for the 800s/MAX 8s, with 175.

Max 7s (if they ever arrive) will almost certainly stay with 150 (they've been planning that for several years) given cramming an extra row on top of that would require a 4th FA.

Seats look fairly thin. If they are the same ones F9 has been installing the past couple years (Recaro SL3710) but with some additional options, it shouldn't be awful. The new Frontier seats aren't too bad (although I'm definitely comparing it in my head to the previous gen seats F9 had for planes delivered prior to March 2021 which were godawful). But, it wouldn't shock me if the padding here is less than the current generation.
how does it compare to the current southwest seats?
Juanefny is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:10 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Seats look fairly thin. If they are the same ones F9 has been installing the past couple years (Recaro SL3710) but with some additional options, it shouldn't be awful.
Thin is in. WN is ordering BL3710, from all available evidence. Recaro markets SL3710 as "short haul" and BL3710 as "short and medium-haul". A recline feature is "available."

LegalTender is online now  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:03 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,538
Originally Posted by Juanefny
how does it compare to the current southwest seats?
I'm trying to recall as it is been a few months since I last flew the new seat on Frontier. If I remember correctly overall it is not as padded, but still decent, and for those who are a little taller, the bottom seat is padded in a way that your upper legs have something to rest on a bit more than on Southwest - less of a feeling like you're slowly sliding out of your seat (if that makes sense).
lowfareair is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:02 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Posts: 1,555
Originally Posted by Juanefny
how does it compare to the current southwest seats?
I have yet to see a coach seat “upgrade/refresh/enhancement” that is an improvement in comfort…on any airline. But I will accept the claim that Frontier’s new seats are more comfortable since I don’t fly them anymore.

It is encouraging that capacity will remain 175.

Southwest, prove me wrong.
joshua362 likes this.
Daze is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
Posts: 234
Hear Hear!
MacGuruTX is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:39 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,538
Originally Posted by Daze
I have yet to see a coach seat “upgrade/refresh/enhancement” that is an improvement in comfort…on any airline. But I will accept the claim that Frontier’s new seats are more comfortable since I don’t fly them anymore.

It is encouraging that capacity will remain 175.

Southwest, prove me wrong.
For clarity, I'm saying Frontier's new seats (the base model WN is going to) is objectively better than the old ones; the difference between them and the current WN seats are small enough and I haven't flown on the two in a close enough timeframe to really judge.
lowfareair is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:05 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KATL
Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Posts: 241
My recent experiences on WN have been varied in terms of seat quality. The old style blue and beige leather seats are getting pretty tired and worn like an old sofa in a fraternity house. I usually prefer aisle or window but have found several times that the whole seat frame of these 3 seats creaks and bends a few degrees down and out from center which becomes pretty uncomfortable after about an hour of sitting that way (I'm 6' and 175lbs - not exactly a customer of size). However the newer 738's and Max with the slim, low profile blue seats are firm, but ergonomically fantastic.

I hope the priority on the refresh is put on the frat house seats.
GlobeTrttr83 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2024, 11:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
I flew this morning on Flight 191, ECP-BNA on a Max 8 and I am certain the aircraft had the new seats that will be coming in 2025.

During boarding I was settling in row 4 and the lady in front of me commented on the new seats (which sparked similar comments by a couple other pax.) The FA said yes these were the new seats and seat backs would be added later. (The fold out device holders and charging ports were not there/it was the regular seat backs.)

The seats had the (very) thin padding look and the angled seams design. Do the “current” newest seats have the same look as what will be released in 2025? Or were we seeing a preview of what’s coming?
Sargenca is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:23 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,567
Originally Posted by Sargenca
The FA said yes these were the new seats and seat backs would be added later. (The fold out device holders and charging ports were not there/it was the regular seat backs.)
"BL3710 seats with multi-adjustable headrests and seatback device holders — which are part of the carrier's new Tangerine-designed cabin — will be installed on new 737 MAX 8 deliveries from early 2025."
LegalTender is online now  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:08 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,930
Originally Posted by Sargenca
I flew this morning on Flight 191, ECP-BNA on a Max 8 and I am certain the aircraft had the new seats that will be coming in 2025.

During boarding I was settling in row 4 and the lady in front of me commented on the new seats (which sparked similar comments by a couple other pax.) The FA said yes these were the new seats and seat backs would be added later. (The fold out device holders and charging ports were not there/it was the regular seat backs.)

The seats had the (very) thin padding look and the angled seams design. Do the “current” newest seats have the same look as what will be released in 2025? Or were we seeing a preview of what’s coming?
The FA is incorrect - those are not the new seats.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:03 pm
  #15  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Posts: 21,738
Clueless journalist hilariously calls the manufacturer of Southwest's new seats "RECARGO":

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/t...edia-107877518
dlaue likes this.
nsx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.