Lack of enforcement of Boarding Order

Old Sep 8, 2023, 9:20 am

As the number of Preboard passengers increases, the number of accompanying relatives/assisters will increase. This is why paying for earlier boarding numbers is a total waste of money. All seats arrive at the destination at the same time.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by SkyIsKing
As the number of Preboard passengers increases, the number of accompanying relatives/assisters will increase. This is why paying for earlier boarding numbers is a total waste of money. All seats arrive at the destination at the same time.
It's not about the arrival, more just how SW's boarding process and check-in has people hovering over their computer at T-24 to try to get a decent chance at a window or aisle seat (if they don't want to pay for EBCI or aren't AL/AL+). That said, the highest SW boarding position I've ever gotten from T-24 check-in is B50 (surprisingly), but I was still able to snag the last window seat even with all the many preboarders.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by SkyIsKing
100% true.

But some folks want to sit with their spouse, no matter how tired they are of spending the rest of life with the miserable person.

LOL!
joshua362 and dcdrogers like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by smarinello
This is becoming a joke on SW. Yesterday the GA allowed families to board ahead of A group. And of course, the 12 Wheelchairs who all stood up when landed and 1/2 didn't take a WC to leave.

The policy should be if you WC on, YOU MUST WAIT until the plane is deboarded then you can get off. That will stop that BS.
I was A-16 and there were people in the higher A's in my "spot" and they were like where you going, and I said, in front of you as she said numerical order. The ole' "we will all arrive at same time BS."

When I boarded, the woman in Aisle was a pre-board, she openly admitted that she "pre boards" with a mild condition so she doesn't have to pay and gets on first.
Pre boards should have to wait. It's a joke now.
We fly on southwest (two of us and our child who is an autistic) on domestic . We get preboard. We never ask for any assistance from the crew or airline other than just preboarding. I have always shown courtesy to those on wheelchairs and we stand behind those people but I have learnt and convinced that most of them not all are just fake. one good thing is these mostly fake wheelchair users try to bring 4 other ADULT groups with them but the crew will let only one other person to preboard with them. Once in the plane, they walk around, stretch legs and use the toilet and get out of the plane after landing like nothing happened. next time, if we arrive early we won't let wheelchair folks to go first. Shame on these lazy greedy people to pretend to be what they are not and fool others using a wheelchair.

Last edited by Blueheaven; Sep 10, 2023 at 1:39 am
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:46 am

On MCO-MDW. A20 boarding position. At least 20 pre-Boards. So back in row 9. Doesnt seem like a big deal but now we will watch half these folks easily walk off. Also, this is what really peeves me. A pre board passenger is saving an entire row for her family. And the FA is okay with it. So pre boards and saves rows.

SWA do a better job. You have no idea how rampant and folks like me, Alist plus ate
talking about this. Cant be good
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: SWA
"Miracle Flights"

Originally Posted by djp98374
You are talking of the unwritten posse boarding of extended frirnd and family boarding thst rarely get enforced.

thrn you are regularly getting miracle flights ehere folks needing wherlchair assistance or a cane suddenly can walk.
You must be talking about the flights arriving from Lourdes, France.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:35 am

Row 9 would never cause me to throw a fit.

It's understandable preboard schemes infuriate WN's devoted base. They feel cheated. The bosses may even have a probability of occurrence.

Expecting something different is a lost cause. It's a pimple they can't hide.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by smarinello
On MCO-MDW. A20 boarding position. At least 20 pre-Boards. So back in row 9. Doesnt seem like a big deal but now we will watch half these folks easily walk off. Also, this is what really peeves me. A pre board passenger is saving an entire row for her family. And the FA is okay with it. So pre boards and saves rows.

SWA do a better job. You have no idea how rampant and folks like me, Alist plus ate
talking about this. Cant be good
So how did this really effect you? What were you cheated out of? Did you get a window or aisle anyway? Seem like you had no interest in the exit row which would be my only concern. A few extra seconds of deboarding just to wait at baggage claim? People traveling together, "disabled" or not, want to sit together. Why waste energy begrudging that?

Yes the optics look unfair but in the end what does it matter? And its likely not going away.
Boraxo and dmbolp like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 9:49 pm

The core problem here is that if they're going to monetize boarding position, which they undeniably do, they need to actually enforce it or it has no value. You can claim that boarding position doesn't matter, or that people shouldn't complain about it being devalued. But clearly Southwest believes that it matters (or at least believes that passengers think it matters enough to pay extra for it), so arguments that it doesn't matter are not very useful.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It matters if you are in a hurry to exit the plane and get to an appointment. On rare occasions, that's me. For some people it's every trip.
steved5480 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
It matters if you are in a hurry to exit the plane and get to an appointment. On rare occasions, that's me. For some people it's every trip.
if it matters that much then you buy BS. And even then you may get shafted by preboard depending on luck of the draw.

there is also the option to buy seat 1A on another carrier.

the point that OP seems to be missing is that his fare and add-ons do not entitle him to anything except a seat on the plane. Nothing more is promised. And this is pretty much true on all airlines.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by Boraxo
if it matters that much then you buy BS. And even then you may get shafted by preboard depending on luck of the draw.

there is also the option to buy seat 1A on another carrier.

the point that OP seems to be missing is that his fare and add-ons do not entitle him to anything except a seat on the plane. Nothing more is promised. And this is pretty much true on all airlines.
I absolutely acknowledge that when you pay for a seat, that's what's expected and nothing more (except a safe arrival and hopefully a relatively on-time flight). I'm primarily a UA flyer but fly SW when it's convenient due to price and schedule, and just noticed a recent change in the number of people boarding way out of order on my flights with them this summer than with prior flights. There have always been way more preboarders than on other airlines (could be a whole other thread, not the subject of this thread), but I definitely noticed that other pax don't line up in their assigned spots more so than previously. Not sure if it's just a change in more infrequent flyers traveling after the pandemic, or if it's something else.

That said, all this somewhat matters in the sense that no other airline (AFAIK) so heavily incentivizes check-in at exactly T-24 for a chance to get a good seat and has such a chaotic and unique boarding process.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 8:18 am

Paying for line position and "then get shafted by luck of the draw" is not true of all airlines.

But even with seat selection, you're fighting odds.

Smile to yourself as the middle seat next to you doesn't fill up. And watch the guy who cheated and preboarded gets stuck next to the last minute C-lister who hasn't showered all week.
screeton and United804Heavy like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:07 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I just hate entitled, dishonest A-holes.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Here comes the next LUV Promotion

Pay for some A

you get A boarding shesd of family boarding after A60 and before family and B1-30.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.