Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

AA and other airlines matching WN as basic Y is kinda insulting

Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

In looking at flights where other airlines have nonstops I've noticed that alot of times airlines like AA and DL match their fares but only as basic economy.. I was looking at AUS-MCO..WN wanted $169RT..AA wanted $169 Basic Economy $258 regular economy... So $90 more or I can't make changes.. board last and likely have to gate check, pay for assigned seating. When I can fly WN.. get travel credits that don't expire, pay less than the cost of one checked bag to get Early Bird and can take up to 2 bags for FREE.

I guess not many people know about WNs policies so they can get away with it.
jjbiv likes this.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Aug 26, 2023 at 10:13 am
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Even though Southwest does not show up on OTA sites, they are still the second- or third-largest US airline in terms of passengers boarded. So, I think that a lot of people do consider Southwest favorably, warts and all. I choose my flights mostly based on price and schedule, and Southwest often is the one that wins out over the others.
trooper and benfro6 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by PHXflier
I choose my flights mostly based on price and schedule, and Southwest often is the one that wins out over the others.
WYS- and the Intra-CA frequency (at least pre-Covid) gave me plenty of commute options as well.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Even though Southwest does not show up on OTA sites, they are still the second- or third-largest US airline in terms of passengers boarded. So, I think that a lot of people do consider Southwest favorably, warts and all. I choose my flights mostly based on price and schedule, and Southwest often is the one that wins out over the others.
Even though AA is making an effort to increase destinations, Southwest is still the #1 carrier here in AUS.. When I lived between EWR and PHL, I had to go a bit out of my way to fly WN especially after they were driven out of EWR and reduced PHL.

​​​​Also I know Southwest didn't have these policies out of the kindness of their hearts but frankly without them, I think airlines would have slowly resumed change fees and at best would only have waived them during a large COVID spike.

​​​​​The only bad thing I will say about WN is the fact that they have had to stop selling EB in certain situations is concerning, no one wants to have to sit around a computer waiting to check in at T-24. I had a hard time convincing family and friends to fly them before EB.. I usually offered to do it for them.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
In looking at flights where other airlines have nonstops I've noticed that alot of times airlines like AA and DL match their fares but only as basic economy.. I was looking at AUS-MCO..WN wanted $169RT..AA wanted $169 Basic Economy $258 regular economy... So $90 more or I can't make changes.. board last and likely have to gate check, pay for assigned seating. When I can fly WN.. get travel credits that don't expire, pay less than the cost of one checked bag to get Early Bird and can take up to 2 bags for FREE.

At the same time, both Basic Economy on legacies and Southwest fares offer the same seating assignments.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Remember that AAdvantage elites overcome many of the limitations of a BE fare (albeit not the non-refundability). They still get free Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats with free alcohol, free checked baggage, priority boarding, and access to Business Class check-in counters. For an elite member who can live with the non-refundability, AA Basic Economy can offer great value.

Edited to add: Some travelers utilize credit cards that offer free trip-cancellation coverage which insures against some perils which would prevent the traveler from flying.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 26, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Old Aug 26, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Adam1222
At the same time, both Basic Economy on legacies and Southwest fares offer the same seating assignments.
Not really.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Hope you don't need to change that BE ticket because your ticket is worthless at that point.

Not even the ULCCs do that.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Aug 26, 2023 at 8:13 pm
Old Aug 26, 2023, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope you don't need to change that BE ticket because your ticket is worthless at that point.
DL BE fares can be cancelled for $99 fee ($199 for long-haul international) with the remainder available as credit. Every legacy is different with it's BE fares in terms of restrictions and changeability (aside from the abilty to get a credit on DL BE fares, they are worse in other ways like no mileage/MQM earn and no upgrades/seat assignments for Medallions). I don't have anything against WN, but being based in DTW, it's hard to go with them given their very limited service here.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Not really.
You're right, you at least have your seat assigned before boarding.
They're different airlines, with different products and different fare structures. Suggesting its "insulting" that a given fare is only matched in a certain way seems over the top (especially since we all know there are many instances where basic economy on a legacy carrier will cost less than Southwest's cheapest fare).
trooper and bgasser like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL BE fares can be cancelled for $99 fee ($199 for long-haul international) with the remainder available as credit. Every legacy is different with it's BE fares in terms of restrictions and changeability (aside from the abilty to get a credit on DL BE fares, they are worse in other ways like no mileage/MQM earn and no upgrades/seat assignments for Medallions). I don't have anything against WN, but being based in DTW, it's hard to go with them given their very limited service here.
Of AA, UA. DL.. DL is my favorite..kinda disappointed it's AA increasing service here in AUS..was hoping it would be DL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.