Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes in availability of buying Early Bird Boarding?

Old Aug 10, 23, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Came across this on another site. the following is supposedly from an internal SWA memo.

My take is that they are avoiding having people buy EarlyBird when WN knows it will be a higher boarding. Some folks buy it and then get a "C" boarding which results in an unhappy customer.

jmw likes this.
Old Aug 10, 23, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
100% support this, Ive seen people book Hawaii flights 8 months out with no changes and get C spots
Boraxo and dc2 like this.
Old Aug 11, 23, 8:20 pm

I think it's more likely an experiment to get people to buy the higher fare classes. It will be interesting to see when EB is and isn't offered. For me, I'm probably not flying SWA without some sort of boarding priority.
zlanga and ngman2000 like this.
Old Aug 12, 23, 6:06 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
This is going to drive Anytime purchases. I would if I was flying solo and was told I couldn't get EBCI, or for cruise locations where you don't have internet to check in at T-24.
Old Aug 13, 23, 5:46 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
My take is that they are avoiding having people buy EarlyBird when WN knows it will be a higher boarding. Some folks buy it and then get a "C" boarding which results in an unhappy customer.
Believe me, they don't care. There is likely some other reason for this -- most likely to get people to upgrade to Anytime or BS.
Old Aug 14, 23, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Exp, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by daves1243fly
I think it's more likely an experiment to get people to buy the higher fare classes. It will be interesting to see when EB is and isn't offered. For me, I'm probably not flying SWA without some sort of boarding priority.
Seriously? I am happy to fly WN with zero priority, though sometimes I buy up with EBCI or BS priority (sometimes rebated by card). But for a one-hour flight I would suck it up. I would never fly WN to Hawaii
Old Aug 16, 23, 1:57 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
SW will be loosing my business if the eliminate EBCI once I burn through my points...lost A list last year after two decades of having status...not gonna buy BS and and without EBCI not worth risking a middle seat for ANY flight...points or paid...see ya on Alaska.
Old Aug 16, 23, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by PAX62
SW will be loosing my business if the eliminate EBCI once I burn through my points...lost A list last year after two decades of having status...not gonna buy BS and and without EBCI not worth risking a middle seat for ANY flight...points or paid...see ya on Alaska.
I don't think they have any plans of getting rid of EBCI. I do think they are not going to sell it to folks that would wind up getting C-45, even after paying for it.
Boraxo, flyer4512 and dc2 like this.
Old Aug 17, 23, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I'm not surprised. Checking in at exactly T-24, I used to get an A position every now and then, but those days are over. It's usually in the second half of B.

I would prefer to pay for a seat assignment than pay a higher fare and still play the open seating game. So far, I've always been to get a window seat on Southwest, but if they keep pushing me further back in the boarding queue into the center seats only group, then I'll stop buying tickets on Southwest.
zlanga likes this.
Old Aug 18, 23, 4:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would never fly WN to Hawaii
Why not? You get a 175 seat aircraft with the extra legroom every time. It's a 5 hour flight with other happy people.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Aug 18, 23, 6:27 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
When American started giving full credit for flight cancellation, I moved the majority of my business to them and lost A-list. I still fly WN a couple of times a year and always use EBCI. It sounds like they will continue to offer it on the types of routes I fly, but if it isn't offered, I won't be flying them.
Old Aug 21, 23, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Why not? You get a 175 seat aircraft with the extra legroom every time. It's a 5 hour flight with other happy people.
Because I get free E+ on UA for my family, and the fares are usually higher on WN. Also I despise the MAX jets though they are becoming harder to avoid on all carriers.
Old Aug 23, 23, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A+, CLEAR, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I despise the MAX jets
Why? I consider it a stroke of luck getting one- more seats, the headrests extend upwards, and my tablet's case fits in the literature cutout perfectly, so I get an automatic IFE.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Aug 23, 23, 3:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
And they are quieter. I love the plane.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Aug 23, 23, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Why? I consider it a stroke of luck getting one- more seats, the headrests extend upwards, and my tablet's case fits in the literature cutout perfectly, so I get an automatic IFE.
Read the book Flying Blind. I have little faith in the FAA or Boeing quality control culture, and the hardware design flaws cannot be fixed absent a complete design overhaul. Though the software upgrade seems to be working for now.

I could care less about the engine noise - I don't sleep on short Southwest flights and my airpods do a fine job of noise cancellation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.