2023 Wanna Get Away Day Sweepstakes

Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:51 am
Original Poster

2023 Wanna Get Away Day Sweepstakes

- Registered for the sweepstakes
- Lost today (Day 1)
- Today's Deal: 10x on Southwest charges for 6/12-6/18 just sends me back to the Southwest home page, doesn't appear to register me for the promo
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:24 am

I had the opposite experience - promo signup went smoothly, but trying to enroll in the sweepstakes kept telling me I was already enrolled in RR. Tried it on mobile and finally got to the sweepstakes page, but alas, Florida is ineligible.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:44 am
Original Poster

After a few refreshes, the 10X promo now shows under my Promos on sw.com, so was able to register for it that way. Wasn't seeing the promo previously when the link on the sweepstake site re-directed me to the sw home page.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by dmbolp
-
- Today's Deal: 10x on Southwest charges for 6/12-6/18 just sends me back to the Southwest home page, doesn't appear to register me for the promo
it did the same if I tried to register from the sweepstakes page link, but was able to successfully register for it in the My Promotions tab.
dmbolp likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Interesting that the T&Cs include Southwest Gift Cards as a qualifying purchase.

During the seven-day promotional period of 6/12/2023 from 12:00:00 AM ET to 6/18/2023 at 11:59 PM E.T. you will qualify and earn a total of 10 points for each $1 spent with any Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, on up to $500.00 in total purchases, made directly with Southwest Airlines®, including flight, inflight, Southwest® gift card, Rapid Rewards Points Center, and on Southwest Vacations® packages ("Qualifying Purchases").
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Link to 10x points on WN purchases Promo: https://www.southwest.com/loyalty/my...?id=2-4PMACY0V
dmbolp likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
And, here's the sweepstakes: https://wannagetawayday.com/
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:02 pm

So you get 5000 points for buying $500. At 1.4 cents per point, that's $70 off.

Given that I can buy southwest vouchers from costco for $450 plus my 2% cash back on my other credit card, that's only a saving of $11.

By the way, I see the points guy and nerd wallet value southwest points at 1.5 cents. That seems high. Or am I missing something?
Bearbear likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by avogadro

Given that I can buy southwest vouchers from costco for $450 plus my 2% cash back on my other credit card, that's only a saving of $11.
You're right: this deal isn't particularly worth it for the cash value of the points. But if the extra 3,500 ~ 4k points above what you normally earn on a SWA branded CC help you reach CP, it's a different calculation. My current travel forecast has me coming up about 15k short of the new 135k CP requirement this year. I may do this deal primarily to help close that gap and retain CP for another year.
joshua362, avogadro and aquanine like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I don't have the WN credit card, so my offer was different:

Earn 60,000 points and a cool 30% off promo code. (after applying for the Plus card and $3K spend).
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Some posts are a bit off topic as they are talking about buying points.

Meanwhile - the contest is a big weak. One decent prize per day and lots of small ones. Here is sample of the first two days. The last day gives away a companion pass.

Instant Win Game Entry Period Instant Win Game Prizes Quantity Awarded Each Entry Period ARV of Each Instant Win Game Prize

June 12, 2023 12:00:01 a.m. CT - 11:58:59 p.m. CT
2,500 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® bonus points* 640 $ 30.12. (value)
5,000 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® bonus points* 60 $ 60.24
10,000 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® bonus points* 10 $ 120.48
Round trip air travel for winner and (1) guest** 1 $ 800.00

June 13, 2023 12:00:01 a.m. CT - 11:58:59 p.m. CT
2,500 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® bonus points* 640 $ 30.12
5,000 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® bonus points* 60 $ 60.24
10,000 Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® bonus points* 10 $ 120.48
Round trip air travel for winner and (1) guest** 1 $ 800.00
oceanbreeez likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
By the way, I see the points guy and nerd wallet value southwest points at 1.5 cents. That seems high. Or am I missing something?
Yes: Affiliate links which pay you $100 or more for every reader who successfully applies for a card. :P
jmw, jjbiv and Air Houston like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
It depends what your base fare is: if it is low (like $49), then 1.5 cents comes close: it has to do with certain taxes that do not need to get paid over an award ticket.
vbscript2 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Disc

It depends on the flights you redeem them for. Southwest is a bit odd in that you actually end up getting more value per point on cheap flights than on more expensive ones. For example, looking at a relatively close-in expensive ($584 one-way) fare from the Eastern U.S. to Hawaii, it's only about 1.31 cents/point if you redeemed points. Looking at a more typical $94 one-way BNA-MCO non-stop advance purchase fare, the redemption value comes out to 1.45 cents/point. But looking at a $44 non-stop Hawaii inter-island flight, it's 1.48 cents/point. And, if you need an inter-island flight that has a layover, in which case there would be an extra ~$5/person of fees if you paid cash, the redemption value comes out to 1.67 cents/point. If you happened to do something like this last week during the 40% off promo (which applied to both cash and points bookings,) the value per point would have been higher.

The reason for this is that, while you only earn Southwest points on the base fare when buying a flight, you also only spend points on the base fare on award flights. The taxes and fees (aside from the $5.60 TSA fee and sometimes extra fees on international flights) just disappear entirely. On expensive flights, those don't represent much of the overall total, but on cheap flights, they're a much higher percentage. So, as counter-intuitive as it may seem compared to other airlines, I tend to use my Southwest points on cheaper flights and just pay cash when I need a more expensive one. As such, I rarely get redemption values much under 1.5 cents/point. For example, I got 1.66 cents/point when I booked HNL-KOA on a non-stop during the 40% off sale last week.

If you only ever use Southwest for relatively expensive flights, then you'll probably only end up averaging around 1.3 cents/point. If you use it mostly for cheaper flights, averaging 1.5 is definitely within reason. 1.45 would probably be about average, but most blogs round to tenths of a penny rather than hundredths.

And, of course, none of the above is even considering the Companion Pass. If you can get one of those, you straight-up double all of the point redemption numbers above for the duration of the pass.
avogadro likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Link to 10x points on WN purchases Promo: https://www.southwest.com/loyalty/my...?id=2-4PMACY0V
I did this and my purchase shows as 3x on the Chase site, and the app shows my pending points at the normal rate. I know they always say to wait 2 months, but do others see the same? I'm questioning whether I registered correctly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.