Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
4/18 Operational Issues

Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Have they done nothing to improve their IT since the December meltdown?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:52 am

Buy the dip.
joshua362 and Rd3 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
For those of us who are shareholders, ALL of Southwest's top management should be forced to resign by the board NOW. They clearly are inept and can't fix the issues they ignored for too long.
m907 and altabello like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA

"@SouthwestAir
requested that the FAA pause the airline's departures due to an internal technical issue at Southwest. The pause has been fully canceled." -FAA

Up to 36% of flights delayed now on Flightaware though.

Last edited by Mr.Nuke; Apr 18, 2023 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:11 am

Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by CalItalian
For those of us who are shareholders, ALL of Southwest's top management should be forced to resign by the board NOW. They clearly are inept and can't fix the issues they ignored for too long.
Taking such short sighted approach without all the facts, can easily lead to even more problems. Not defending their top management, but we do not KNOW what they did, are doing, and what caused this problem.

In the process of dumping all sr mgmt, you may well be throwing out the only people that know what is going on and know how to fix it.
dgross, smmrfld, lougord99 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Given the relatively short nature of the stop, my guess would be that the weight and balance software system crashed and needed to be rebooted.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Given the relatively short nature of the stop, my guess would be that the weight and balance software system crashed and needed to be rebooted.
Do it by hand, using a slide rule. Just like 1960
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:37 am

Sigh! They are no long the LUV airlines. They are just another American or Braniff or Eastern or Piedmont
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
Do it by hand, using a slide rule. Just like 1960
They probably were and that's why they have delay
dlaue likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: SWA
Nowadays, I sincerely doubt that anyone whose work requires the sort of mathematical computations that can be done with a slide rule actually know how to use one. Moreover, a lot of people can't even make proper change even when the register tells how much change is due! Using a slide rule? Forget it. Even Amazon doesn't have slide rules for sale.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by chaz1828
Nowadays, I sincerely doubt that anyone whose work requires the sort of mathematical computations that can be done with a slide rule actually know how to use one. Moreover, a lot of people can't even make proper change even when the register tells how much change is due! Using a slide rule? Forget it. Even Amazon doesn't have slide rules for sale.
As someone of a younger generation, I don't even know what a slide rule is. I am aware of the name and that it is a mathematical tool used for computation, and maybe vaguely aware of the shape of such an item. No clue how to use
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 5 MM
Pilots are trained to use an E6B, a manual flight computer of sorts, to compute various aspects of a flight plan. This is nothing more than a circular slide rule.
joshua362 and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Out of all 200k+ miles per year I fly the ONE DAY where I HAVE to fly SW this happens.....LoL....I hope they are all caught up by my 7pm flight home tonight. It's been 20 years since I have been on a SW flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.