Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another Short-term Companion pass offer - Register/Buy by 4/5

Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott

Promo on frontpage and also in promotions.

1. Register now, then purchase one round trip or two one-way flights by 4/5.2.

2. Travel by 5/24.

3. Companion flies free* with you 8/15-9/30/2023

nsx, jmw and Troopers like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:06 pm

This promo works for me without a mileage run or any additional hoops. I should be able to utilize the companion pass at least twice with two different companions during the promo period.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I think this question gets asked every time one of these pops up but I'll ask again just so it's up top for everyone else: If I book a r/t now but then change it after Wednesday but still complete both legs of the r/t before 5/24, will I still qualify? Specifically, I know I'm going to visit a client this month, just not sure of the exact dates yet.

The only thing I saw in the fine print was this: "Changes made to any itinerary after purchase of a one-way or round trip revenue flight may eliminate qualification for this promotion."

I thought it was determined that you'd still qualify in this scenario but I want to confirm.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:45 pm
jmw

Every ticket I have from 4/5 to 5/24 is much more expensive today than last week unless I change to a very undesirable airport (LAX).
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by jmw
Every ticket I have from 4/5 to 5/24 is much more expensive today than last week unless I change to a very undesirable airport (LAX).
But is it worth paying the premium on one RT to have a free companion for 45 days?
jjbiv likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:05 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by Marko123
I think this question gets asked every time one of these pops up but I'll ask again just so it's up top for everyone else: If I book a r/t now but then change it after Wednesday but still complete both legs of the r/t before 5/24, will I still qualify? Specifically, I know I'm going to visit a client this month, just not sure of the exact dates yet.

The only thing I saw in the fine print was this: "Changes made to any itinerary after purchase of a one-way or round trip revenue flight may eliminate qualification for this promotion."

I thought it was determined that you'd still qualify in this scenario but I want to confirm.
From the FAQ:
Q: What changes to a reservation would disqualify a flight from qualifying for promotional Companion Pass through this offer?
A: Any change to a reservation that falls outside of the promotional requirements (enrollment date, booking date, travel date, etc.) will disqualify the flight from this promotion. In other words, flights must be purchased and/or changed during the promotional period and the new flight(s) must be flown between April 3-May 24, 2023 to meet the terms and conditions of this promotion.

The real question is whether or not Southwest IT is smart enough to disqualify you or not. In the previous promotion, SDC did not disqualify which makes me think you can get away with other changes.
MSP_Monopoly and Marko123 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Marko123

It worked for me during this promo last fall.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Next stupid question, says award flights not included. Is that only for the qualifying flights? Or both the qualifying and redemption flights? Can I pay for a flight now, then get the companion benefits on points flights during the time window?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Next stupid question, says award flights not included. Is that only for the qualifying flights? Or both the qualifying and redemption flights? Can I pay for a flight now, then get the companion benefits on points flights during the time window?
Yes.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Hmmmm....on the promo page the way it is worded, companion flies free on paid flights only (not valid on flights purchased with points).

Paging SWAVictor for clarification.
nsx and FindAWay like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 8:30 pm
Original Member

I think what this means is you can't purchase your "qualifying" flight using points, it must be a paid ticket before 5/24. However, companion can fly with the pass holder whether they buy a paid ticket or award ticket from 8/15-9/30.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by Troopers
Hmmmm....on the promo page the way it is worded, companion flies free on paid flights only (not valid on flights purchased with point.
Thats standard language. Means flight must be purchased with dollars or points. This was to answer the question of can the companion of a companion fly for free, which is no.
- A has B as companion. A buys ticket, B goes free. B has companion pass and C as companion. C cannot fly for free since B did not purchase an ticket.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by sggolf
I think what this means is you can't purchase your "qualifying" flight using points, it must be a paid ticket before 5/24. However, companion can fly with the pass holder whether they buy a paid ticket or award ticket from 8/15-9/30.
I tend to agree but that's not what it says. "Not valid with flights purchased with RR points" should be on number 1 not number 3.

Originally Posted by rthib
That’s standard language. Means flight must be purchased with dollars or points. This was to answer the question of can the companion of a companion fly for free, which is no.
- A has B as companion. A buys ticket, B goes free. B has companion pass and C as companion. C cannot fly for free since B did not purchase a ut thatticket.
But that's not what it says. It's poorly written.

It should read:

1. Register now, then purchase one round trip or two one-way flights by 4/5. Not valid with flights purchased with RR points
2. Travel by 5/24.
3. Companion flies free with you 8/15-9/30/2023
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:44 pm

Assume I meet the qualification requirements. If I buy a ticket right now for departure on Aug. 20, will my companion be able to come for free, assuming the flight isnt sold out when the pass gets loaded on my account on Aug. 15?

This language implies yes:
> Q: If I book a reservation prior to August 15, 2023 for travel between August 15-September 30, 2023, when can I book my Companions reservation?
A: After the promotional Companion Pass has been awarded to your account (August 15, 2023), and youve designated your Companion, you can book your Companions reservation (subject to flight capacity and availability at the time of booking the promotional Companion Pass).

But this language implies no (emphasis mine)
>Q: Whats Southwest promotional Companion Pass?
A: A promotional Companion Pass earned through this offer allows you to designate one person to fly with, free of airline charges (does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one-way), on flights purchased and flown between August 15, 2023 and September 30, 2023.

thank you
Marko123 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:49 am

I have 2 x 1 ways booked for travel on the qualifying dates but I booked them before the promo. Do I need to completely cancel and rebook them to qualify? Or can I just do a change flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.