Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does changing your reservation screw up refunds of extra seats for COS

Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

I'm looking to get a better flight time for my flight to Orlando next month and as an added bonus I'll receive a flight credit because the new flight is less expensive. However when I try to do it online it gives me the flight credit for both seats which means part of my XS ticket will turn into a flight credit and I won't be able to get a refund for that part of my extra seat. Will an agent be able to sort this out or do I need to keep my original flight and not make the change?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I'm looking to get a better flight time for my flight to Orlando next month and as an added bonus I'll receive a flight credit because the new flight is less expensive. However when I try to do it online it gives me the flight credit for both seats which means part of my XS ticket will turn into a flight credit and I won't be able to get a refund for that part of my extra seat. Will an agent be able to sort this out or do I need to keep my original flight and not make the change?
The flight credit for the extra seat will have "XS" as your middle name and may not combine with other flight credits. Better to cancel and rebook anew.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by Tanic
The flight credit for the extra seat will have "XS" as your middle name and may not combine with other flight credits. Better to cancel and rebook anew.
That would turn my entire extra seat ticket into a flight credit and I wouldn't be able to get a refund back to my credit card after the flight. I'll call and see what they can do.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Jan 9, 2023 at 9:35 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Booking agents have a pretty wide latitude on what they can do. It's worth the call to see if they can make the change for you and ensure that the XS funds are refunded to you instead of being turned into TTF.

That would turn my entire extra seat ticket into a flight credit and I wouldn't be able to get a refund back to my credit card after the flight. I'll call and see what they can do.
Yes, I did that a few years ago, had to cancel a flight at the last minute, and the fare for the XS seat was not refunded, only converted to TTF. That was when TTF expired after a year, so I ended up losing the money for both seats entirely because it expired before I could use it. Fortunately it was a work flight so I was reimbursed by my company for the expense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.