Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

PSA: Southwest Will Now Reimburse Expenses 12/24-1/2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Figured this deserved it's own PSA because Southwest is now admitting some level of fault here and offering to reimburse expenses.

I’ve incurred additional expenses (e.g., hotel, rental car, food, etc.). Can I receive a refund?

If you have been impacted by a flight cancellation or significant flight delay between December 24, 2022, and January 2, 2023, you may submit receipts for consideration via Email Us on Southwest.com. We will honor reasonable requests for reimbursement for meals, hotel, and alternate transportation.
Source: https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/
lars747 and JayhawkCO like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
They pretty much need to do this to keep the peace, but do keep in mind that the "consideration" will likely be a voucher for future travel on Southwest.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Thank you for posting this, however I'm not sure which form on their "email us" page to use? There are different options but none that refer specifically to this current issue.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by touringuy
Thank you for posting this, however I'm not sure which form on their "email us" page to use? There are different options but none that refer specifically to this current issue.
I did Complaint -> Reservation -> Cancel.
flg8rmatt likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:27 am

My fight tomorrow to SNA was canceled...will now drive. Return flight on the 1st remains scheduled...will voluntarily cancel if needed.

Will SWA reimburse for gas?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
My fight tomorrow to SNA was canceled...will now drive. Return flight on the 1st remains scheduled...will voluntarily cancel if needed.

Will SWA reimburse for gas?
They say they'll reimburse what's reasonable. Keep all your receipts.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
This has the potential to be a massive class action lawsuit. Sure, weather was a contributing factor but it wasn’t the proximate cause. So many ways in which WN mishandled this and already seeing many examples of “pain and suffering” stories that would make Saul Goodman lick his chops.

I remember in business school, we used to study the WN model of putting the “employees first”. Now in ten years or so business and possibly law schools will be using this as case study for a completely different reason. Herb must be rolling over in his proverbial grave.
joshua362, screeton, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by hur88
They say they'll reimburse what's reasonable. Keep all your receipts.
Thanks...wondering if I should rent a car. Thoughts?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you really need to get somewhere, do it without expecting reimbursement and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

If doing so would be a serious financial hardship for you if you end up not getting reimbursed, or if the reimbursement takes months, don't.
bbbb, coolbeans202, Gar1P and 6 others like this.

A rental car seems like reasonable alternative transportation to me, especially if that is your best option to travel and it is reasonably priced.

Programs: Statusless and proud
I don't see why not. They don't know where you live and if you're traveling outbound or inbound.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
If you really need to get somewhere, do it without expecting reimbursement and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

If doing so would be a serious financial hardship for you if you end up not getting reimbursed, or if the reimbursement takes months, don't.
I can certainly afford a rental car without reimbursement but I'll be very irritated.

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I don't see why not. They don't know where you live and if you're traveling outbound or inbound.
But they do know where I live, they have my address.

To complicate things, my return flight on the 1st is on a separate reservation and scheduled to fly. If I rent a car for a roundtrip and then voluntarily cancel the return flight, will rental be reimbursed? Or do I change the rental to a one way (assuming I can) and jump on the return flight?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:10 am

Good move but quite likely they will try to screw you with the "reasonable" language. Alternative transportation arrangements are not reasonably priced with a meltdown of this proportion.
joshua362 and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Absolutely. A family of 4 flying on $200 WGA fares now forced to buy $1000 walkups to get home. Reasonable? Who decides?

Surprised the stock is only down 5% with this news. Smarter minds than mine seems to deem this a low impacting financial event where I thought it would be catastrophic...
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by joshua362
Absolutely. A family of 4 flying on $200 WGA fares now forced to buy $1000 walkups to get home. Reasonable? Who decides?

Surprised the stock is only down 5% with this news. Smarter minds than mine seems to deem this a low impacting financial event where I thought it would be catastrophic...
People forget fast. Remember October 2021? Same weather/crew/staffing issues, 4 days of chaos in the system of not dissimilar proportions. And everyone kept investing and kept flying...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/busin...ost/index.html

At the end of the day, consolidation helps bad companies stay in business. Right now there are simply not enough seats on the other carriers, WN is a requirement of the US transportation system. Even if DAL doubled its seats overnight, they still would not fill the niche of WN as they would probably continue to fly hub and spoke. Living in SMF, I'm not connecting in Utah (or SFO in the case of UAL) to fly to LA, SAN, or PSP. I will roll the dice on WN.
joshua362, hurnik, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.