Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancelling flights / refusing to return luggage

Cancelling flights / refusing to return luggage

Old Dec 27, 22, 2:07 pm

You'd have to think that a lot more WN flyers will do carry-on only for a while to come, especially if there are media reports of baggage odysseys.

Does that in turn lead to WN building in longer boarding times to the schedule to account for fuller bins, or to charging groups B and C for carry-ons?
Old Dec 27, 22, 4:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Just to chime in with an additional bag-centric data point:

My son was booked MDW-DAL on 12/22. Flight cancelled, re-booked himself on 12/23 flight. 12/23 flight was scheduled for 5-ish departure. Delayed, delayed, delayed. Finally boarded around 1045 pm. Flight never left gate, first officer eventually timed out shortly after midnight, resulting in cancellation. Eventually, he bought a ticket on AA for 12/25 and made it to Dallas.

Unfortunately, his checked bag is caught up in SWA purgatory. He was told the same thing all the others upthread have heard - "Your checked bag will be sent to its final destination."

Sure would be nice if SWA had online baggage tracking, like, oh, pretty much every other airline.

---

My wife and I went to DAL on 12/24 to search (without success) for his bag. At that time, after 2 hours in line, we provided his baggage claim # and confirmation #. We got a confused look in response, then something about that flight not being in their system, followed by a less-than-convincing "Your son's bag is still at MDW".

At that time, the scene at the DAL airport, although clearly a huge mess, still had a modicum of control and security over the piles of bags.

I went back to DAL on 12/26. Still no luck with the bag search, even with 3-4 times as many bags to pore over. Furthermore, the scene had morphed into something closer to Mad Max. No bag security whatsoever - 100% grab-n-go.

It really seems that this nonsensical policy of holding the bags, instead of dumping them back out, is creating a massive problem that is going to take literally weeks to unwind.

--

In the "LOL" category:

I received an e-mail today from JSX that advertised one-off flights on routes such as Dallas-Denver, Burbank-Denver, and Oakland-Burbank. Hmmm. To twist the knife, the graphics included a stock photo of hands making "heart" signs.
lowfareair, wrp96 and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 27, 22, 4:36 pm

Programs: aa
My son is going through this right now. Flight cancelled with two checked bags. The bags ended up on separate flights. Baggage service here at MCI just called and said they now have the second bag along with a $400 voucher.
Old Dec 27, 22, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Ontario looks downright orderly compared to other pictures Ive seen. My wife sent me this as she was on her way to meet her son on his AA flight
Old Dec 28, 22, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson View Post
Sure would be nice if SWA had online baggage tracking, like, oh, pretty much every other airline.
But...but...bags fly FREE on Southwest. And stuff.

Apparently, bags are also held hostage for free.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Dec 28, 22 at 1:41 pm
Old Dec 28, 22, 1:52 pm

Are any of these airports doing anything to actually secure the bags? I imagine the thieves are out in force right now after seeing these images. The only airport I have ever been that actually did ID checks on bags was PHX, but that was a long time ago.
Old Dec 28, 22, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I actually just got through to the baggage line. They created a case number for me, but she said they are manually going through the 25k+ bags at DEN and calling people asking where which airport they want it sent to or what local address they want it delivered to. We will see!
Old Dec 28, 22, 3:11 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
Are any of these airports doing anything to actually secure the bags? I imagine the thieves are out in force right now after seeing these images. The only airport I have ever been that actually did ID checks on bags was PHX, but that was a long time ago.
Here at MCI they moved all the bags over to the cargo area. I picked up mine from there last night along with a $400 voucher. Then about an hour ago I got a text from Southwest asking asking where I would like them to ship my luggage to.
bbbb and downinit like this.
Old Dec 28, 22, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I havent noticed this discussed, but SW doesnt have interline agreements with other carriers.....with other carriers, the ticketed airline can offload you to other carriers in an IRROP.

Not with southworst.

People are forced to wait for southwest to fix themselves then process the human backlog using only their own capacity....

I have never flown on SW with a connection. 99% of my travel has been ...not southwest. (Occasionally a trip to PHX or SMF-LA)
SeaMar likes this.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Jan 4, 23 at 11:57 am
Old Dec 28, 22, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Say.... You know how all airlines ask a TON of questions about your delayed bags? Like what it looks like, what kind of bag, whats in it, etc, etc. Do you know WHY they are asking that right away, when it is only temporarily misdirected?

Hint: it is NOT to 'better identify your delayed item"

It is so later when they say "yeah, its lost- we will pay you for the actual cash value (depreciated) for your '2 pair of jeans, tennis shoes and dirty laundry"..... once you know it is going to be a replacement claim you've already confessed to what was in it.

Ive only had two bags lost in 30+ years of travel. And probably less than a dozen delayed in 4M miles of flying. (98% of the time it is carry on)... but this part of their process annoys me- so many aspects arent about getting your bag, its about protecting the carriers $$$$. (The last lost bag was when traveling with my son, I was a CK with AA. I got tired of dealing with baggage agents, called CK and asked them to have a claims manager call me back. A day later they did, and basically asked 'what was in it and what did it cost new" and cut a check for that. Son was overjoyed to get new jeans, socks and undies... it was like an early christmas for him!)

Good luck to all that are impacted. Sucks.
Old Dec 29, 22, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Bags fly free - whether you'll see them anytime soon is another matter.
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 30, 22, 11:41 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist
Anyone else still waiting on a checked bag from this past weekend?
Old Dec 30, 22, 4:03 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Flight canceled on Saturday. Refused to give the bags back to me and said they would go to MSP. Today, they said they were in MSP with absolutely no idea when they might return to Chicago.
Old Dec 30, 22, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Flight canceled on Saturday. Refused to give the bags back to me and said they would go to MSP. Today, they said they were in MSP with absolutely no idea when they might return to Chicago.
But hey, your bags fly free on Southwest!
wrp96 and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 30, 22, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
I havent noticed this discussed, but SW doesnt have interline agreements with outer carriers.....with other carriers, the ticketed airline can offload you to other carriers in an IRROP.

Not with southworst.

People are forced to wait for southwest to fix themselves then process the human backlog using only their own capacity....

I have never flown on SW with a connection. 99% of my travel has been ...not southwest. (Occasionally a trip to PHX or SMF-LA)
This has been discussed ad nauseam. It would not have made a difference because all the other airlines were near 100% sold out.
lowfareair and hhdl like this.

Search this Thread