Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by apodo77
Looks like SWA promoted the person that was in charge of network planning and operations today :
They had to create a new category known as "Disciplinary Promotions".
nsx likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
I am loyal to SWA. However I am pretty upset. I put in receipts for $134. I asked for vouchers, something that others who were in the same situation as me received. I never received the 25,000 RR bonus. I called SWA and told me that I definitely qualify for it and submitted my request and gave me a case number. I have contacted SWA through Twitter and never got a reply. Today I received an email telling me that my request is being escalated for further review. I do not get it. My request was put in on 12/27 and I just get an email. Others have emailed much later then me and received refunds, vouchers, and RR bonus points. Does anyone know how they prioritize requests? Does it go by dates, amount requested or is it just random. Maybe I should reach out to Adam Decaire. LOL
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
I am loyal to SWA. However I am pretty upset. I put in receipts for $134. I asked for vouchers, something that others who were in the same situation as me received. I never received the 25,000 RR bonus. I called SWA and told me that I definitely qualify for it and submitted my request and gave me a case number. I have contacted SWA through Twitter and never got a reply. Today I received an email telling me that my request is being escalated for further review. I do not get it. My request was put in on 12/27 and I just get an email. Others have emailed much later then me and received refunds, vouchers, and RR bonus points. Does anyone know how they prioritize requests? Does it go by dates, amount requested or is it just random. Maybe I should reach out to Adam Decaire. LOL
Are there any data points of people that actually got hard expenses reimbursed yet? I've only read here about people getting their 25K "good will" points, and their unused ticket portions refunded/credit/voucher, etc.
I am in a similar boat - submitted documentation with over $900 for costs incurred (2xAA plane tickets, 2xtrain tickets, 1xhotel room, etc). I received an automated confirmation email with a case number the day I emailed the claim (02-JAN), but haven't heard anything since.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Are there any data points of people that actually got hard expenses reimbursed yet? I've only read here about people getting their 25K "good will" points, and their unused ticket portions refunded/credit/voucher, etc.
I am in a similar boat - submitted documentation with over $900 for costs incurred (2xAA plane tickets, 2xtrain tickets, 1xhotel room, etc). I received an automated confirmation email with a case number the day I emailed the claim (02-JAN), but haven't heard anything since.
Yes, see this thread: Has anyone been reimbursed for their "reasonable" expenses yet?
Mary Louise and WannaTheater like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
I’m sorry you’re experiencing this delay and hope you get your desired outcome.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Thank you
It is somewhat frustrating but it could be a lot worse. Appreciate your kindness.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I received 25k meltdown points for each person in my family. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put them all in a single Rapid Rewards account?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Lookin4Points
I received 25k meltdown points for each person in my family. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put them all in a single Rapid Rewards account?
Nope! Put them all in one account. Much easier to use them.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
DOT fines Southwest $35 million over Christmas 2022 meltdown-

https://weartv.com/news/nation-world...ete-buttigieg#

Cost to Southwest is estimated as $140 million

The settlement provides that in addition to the $35 million fine, Southwest will get $33 million in credit for compensation already handed out, mostly for giving 25,000 frequent flyer points each, worth about $300, to affected customers. The company promised to give out $90 million in vouchers to future travelers.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
DOT fines Southwest $35 million over Christmas 2022 meltdown-

https://weartv.com/news/nation-world...ete-buttigieg#

Cost to Southwest is estimated as $140 million
DoT gets to look tough and Southwest pays $2 million. Thats a win-win. At least Southwest threw customers a bone after this debacle.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles | Marriott Bonvoy | Radisson Int'l Rewards
Anything short of Bob Jordan and the rest of the C suite / BoD getting waterboarded is a failure. These guys (sic Airline Execs) should wake up every morning fearing the wrath of god for shortfalls like this. And I don’t mean discomfort at the next annual meeting either. Shareholder angst and fines are child’s play. These guys need a gut check that can somewhat replicate the fury of all the passengers they failed.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:36 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by jjbiv
DoT gets to look tough and Southwest pays $2 million. Thats a win-win. At least Southwest threw customers a bone after this debacle.
no, southwest pays $35 million, and has to pay out $90M in transferable vouchers when they screw up in the future ($75 credit if you’re delayed 3+ hours due to something within WN’s control). The $33M credit is off of the $140M headline figure, not the $35M cash penalty.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by jjbiv
I'd say it was considerably more than a bone, at least compared to what other airlines have done in the past when they under go flight issues related to weather, which is usually nothing. There's no denying they screwed up royaly, but their effort to compensate their customers for the "pain and suffering" was pretty good.
We (my wife and I) got 25,000 pts each, our flight cost on AA to return home was reimbursed and we got our money back on the flight that was cancelled. (which was to be expected) And on top of that, my flight that got cancelled was to be my 25th flight which would have qualified me for A-list status, and that was credited as well. All this was done without having to jump through a bunch of hoops and waiting for multiple months.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by tonei
no, southwest pays $35 million, and has to pay out $90M in transferable vouchers when they screw up in the future ($75 credit if you’re delayed 3+ hours due to something within WN’s control). The $33M credit is off of the $140M headline figure, not the $35M cash penalty.
I'd say the $35M cash penalty all by itself is far greater than any other airline has ever been penalized. A good start.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
new meltdown for 2023, though not as bad as last year (yet). interesting how MDW is affected but not ORD (yes, I know, there's a few miles separating them)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.