Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Interline agreements would be of minimal help this week - other carriers are running FULL already and do have some cancels... but nothing bad like WN.
There are multiple reports of elites posting interlining success in other forums - may not be the most convenient.
With the exception of WN, cancellations systemwide are under 15% - already recovered, limited capacity to accommodate elites.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass

PHX passengers being told to leave airport, no accommodation for them on rebooked flights for at least 4 days:
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Pretty crazy this time as I read 65% of their schedule is cancelled and them not interlining means basically no options for all those people (though I am sure the other airline flights are full too)

As others have said weather is a factor but southwest made it wayyy worse.

Edit: obviously just repeated what people up thread reported. Oops! Scrolled down too fast. Can't easily delete on mobile

Last edited by pitflyer; Dec 26, 2022 at 3:46 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They'll be back up tomorrow. The last resort way to reset.
If FlightAware data is accurate, they've already canceled 40% of tomorrow's flights:

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/tomorrow
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Have you checked AS recently? They may not have the frequency of WN intra-California, but at least out of SAN, AS covers all of my business and leisure needs - including secondary options like MRY, SLO and STS.
AS doesn’t even come close to meeting my needs.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I no longer travel heavily for work, but the answer here is really simple. Southwest had many direct flights to the places I needed to go regularly from the place I lived in. No one else did. During the several years that Southwest was my primary airline, I personally experienced no major issues (nothing worse than I experienced with American or United as my primary). So given the choice of flying another airline that would require a stop for almost every flight, probably doubling (or more) my total travel time and increasing the opportunity for mishaps, or an airline that has had issues but none that ever actually caused me a problem, I didn't find it particularly hard to decide. Real impact on every single trip vs. hypothetical impact at some isolated point in the future.
Here it is. ^^^

I'm new to the Southwest gang, but I've spent nearly the whole year on Southwest flights because they flew where I wanted to go, in one flight, when I wanted to get there, nearly all the time. And, if you're on a BS fare they'll work to get you where you were trying to go. Flying has become so awful that the thought of having to change at a hub is just distressing and Southwest eliminated a lot of that. Of the 34 segments I've flown this year, 4 required a plane change. I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday.

I just hope they shake out the problems this week...I'm only 8,600 points shy of clinching Companion Pass with a points run on Wednesday!
smmrfld and ryw like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Currently FlightAware shows 2687, which is 66% (!!!), of the Southwest flights cancelled for today. I don't think I have ever seen a meltdown of similar epic proportions since 2001. Other airlines are in the single digits with cancellation percentages for today, with the exception of Spirit (16%) and Alaska (14%).

wonder how this compares to that JetBlue meltdown a few years ago where they basically had to stop flying and reset. That’s only thing I can think that even comes close to this.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by wutlol
https://twitter.com/MichaelDoudna/st...I52Roekm2Vf1GQ

PHX passengers being told to leave airport, no accommodation for them on rebooked flights for at least 4 days:

Im supposed to fly INTO PHX on Friday.... hopefully things start getting cleared up by then!
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by dtremit
If FlightAware data is accurate, they've already canceled 40% of tomorrow's flights:

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/tomorrow
Now at 60% for tomorrow.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by dtremit
Flightaware now shows 60% of the Southwest flights (2433 of them) cancelled for tomorrow, Dec 27. Prospects for an expeditious service recovery look pretty grim.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by wutlol
https://twitter.com/MichaelDoudna/st...I52Roekm2Vf1GQ

The <inaudible> portion of that video was "we do not have seats"
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sound and fury signifying known weaknesses. Southwest always forgiven. Lost in industry tirades..
I don't believe Southwest will be "forgiven" with this meltdown. As an example, United increased their IT management of all aspects of their business during the Covid-19 downtime. Led by world class IT leader LInda Jojo, United implemented both customer-facing tools as well as back office employee and scheduling management tools that are now the envy of their competition. Sure, UA gets hammered by the weather issues like everyone else. But clearly they have a better handle on recovery. Getting employees, aircraft, and passengers into the proper place as quickly and efficiently as possible.

With WN getting virtually the same fares as the "mainline" airlines, they have no excuse for such ham-handed mismanagement.
joshua362, KansasMike, m.y and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66
I don't believe Southwest will be "forgiven" with this meltdown.
No, you're probably right.

Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
They'll be back up tomorrow. The last resort way to reset.

Ugly, no question.
Want to make a money bet on that one? It will be Friday or later until they’ve managed to reset this. One can only hope that this damages WN’s reputation to some extent.

Full disclosure, I only fly WN on a nonstop and then generally only as a same day purchase.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
No, you're probably right.

Is there an emoji for laughing so hard milk comes out your nose? That’s like being chased by a toothless old dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.