Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
The crappy thing is, I don't think any of this is illegal in Colorado. Anyone have a reference to a law that would prevent this? It does seem crazy that an employer could just schedule you a 24 hour shift as long as they gave you some breaks here and there and paid you time and a half as necessary.
I see this little number from Chris Johnson, Vice President of Ground Operations, was written on December 21. Before this meltdown even happened.

This is a telling memo I encourage everyone here to read to understand.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk7ZPxNa...jpg&name=large

I do find it quite ironic we are just coming out of a pandemic, doctors offices do not want to see you in person if you are sick, they want you to do Telemedicine, and then a letter like this is written. It seems Chris Johnson does not really understand how if a few sick ground agents make the rest of the ground agents all sick then they are all going to be out sick. Then a few days later the entire airline coast to coast has an operational meltdown. I wonder how many other terminals received this same letter from Chris Johnson, Vice President of Ground Operations. I do not think issuing letters like this to employees is a very good way to have employee retention occur, and certainly does not help employee morale.

I also find it quite ironic that it is necessary to force people to work sick (unless they can get to a doctor in person on the days surrounding Christmas- get real here), and force mandatory overtime, to "get the agents back on track" according to Chris Johnson. Actually Chris Johnson these directives are only making matters worse, way worse. I hope Chris Johnson has enjoyed the past few days. I wonder if this letter from Chris Johnson to DEN is what sparked the whole meltdown here nationwide (beyond the damage caused by the weather).

Anyone know if Chris Johnson still works for Southwest?
soupcxan, wrp96, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Burn some miles on a responsible airline to get to Hawai'i and take one of those WN flights?
For giggles, I actually did a dummy booking.

100k miles on Alaska. Or 2200$ for a first class ticket.
230k miles on United. Or 11 thousand $ for a first class ticket. On Friday.

The US airline industry is absolute trash. This is just Southwest's turn in the barrel.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
deleted post

Last edited by prestonh; Dec 27, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I do find it quite ironic we are just coming out of a pandemic, doctors offices do not want to see you in person if you are sick, they want you to do Telemedicine, and then a letter like this is written. It seems Chris Johnson does not really understand how if a few sick ground agents make the rest of the ground agents all sick then they are all going to be out sick. Then a few days later the entire airline coast to coast has an operational meltdown. I wonder how many other terminals received this same letter from Chris Johnson, Vice President of Ground Operations. I do not think issuing letters like this to employees is a very good way to have employee retention occur, and certainly does not help employee morale.
If I was in this situation I would show up at work with a positive COVID test in hand, report to manager (video it, obviously) and go "Hey, I've got a positive COVID test but due to this policy and my inability to get the doctor I'm here to work. *coughs on boss* Thanks!"
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:40 pm

I fly (or rather, flew) Southwest for one primary reason: Their passenger of size policy is the most generous. But now I'm going to book a flight that's 2.5x more expensive (630 instead of 250, AA 1st) because I can't even deal.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by Bear96
Urbandictionary is your friend. But since it's Christmas...

* ganking
* stanning
nsx, kennycrudup and radioinsomnia like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by JakiChan
If I was in this situation I would show up at work with a positive COVID test in hand, report to manager (video it, obviously) and go "Hey, I've got a positive COVID test but due to this policy and my inability to get the doctor I'm here to work. *coughs on boss* Thanks!"
I mean, the immediate manager there in DEN may not deserve that treatment either though... they are just there to enforce the policies set down by Chris Johnson, Vice President of Ground Operations.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
The spread between WN's WGA and BS fares for a sector hasn't been more than 160$ IME.
You can get a super low fare on a standard legacy and then if something changes for you you'll be paying out a grip. Meanwhile if things change for me on Southwest I can usually swap without a problem, no change fees and the fare difference is usually never more than a few $ cuz I buy BS exclusively.
It took a pandemic to get other airlines to stop gankin people whenever life precipitated the need to move things around. Don't think that nonsense isn't coming back.
For the travel I've been doing lately, the point-to-point network has been fantastic. Frequencies, non-stops, cities served...yes, I will keep flying them. They are way different than Spirit or Frontier. I'm not stanning for Southwest...this crisis is a stinker no doubt, and WN needs to get slapped in the face for it, but tell me what other US airline hasn't had some kinda debacle like this? This is indicative of the industry in general.
I don't really know what you mean - Main Cabin fares on legacy airlines are the ones I'm talking about in comparison to Wanna Get Away fares. Why would anyone ever pay more for Business Select, let alone $160? Main Cabin fares on American are highly changable - I do this all the time.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Urbandictionary is your friend. But since it's Christmas...

* ganking
* stanning
Don't do me any favors. Yes I understand I could have done research to decipher, but I do not think the reader should have the burden of doing so if a writer chooses to invent or use an obscure word.

At least not if that writer wants to have any readers.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rabidstoat
So who gets to decide if this chaos is the result of a "weather event" or an "operational event"?

SW will want it to be a weather event as it means they're on the hook for less compensation. I don't think they're offering any hotel vouchers at the moment anyway. Can they just say "weather event" and that's it, no one can dispute it and make them pay up as they'd be required to do for an operational event that was under their control to prevent?

And who decides how long a "weather event" is allowed to impact operations before it becomes an "operational event"? I'm sure this was initially a weather event from the storms but there should be a reasonable expectation that a weather event won't cause a majority of flights to be canceled for a full week. That's just an operational breakdown.
I’m in Houston. They’ve brought in city buses to get people out of the airport and into hotels on their dime. It looks like they’re taking responsibility for everything from 12-24 through 1-2.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I doubt WN will provide anything beyond a refund if your original tix.

if it was me I would do a one way car rental and drive 7 hours rather than fork $1600 for the Spirit experience.
You might be right. I’ll put in for the full extra costs and report back. Pretty risky for Southwest to do the minimum required here. They made life very difficult for something like a million passengers, right after Christmas. Congress will hold hearings. Their brand is at risk.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
So the weather didn't trigger this? I respectfully disagree.
Weather triggered it, sure. It triggered it for ALL airlines. The others recovered quickly. Southwest's logistical incompetence has made this a disaster for them and their passengers.
Bear96, DenverBrian, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Listening to the head of Southwest's flight attendant union on NPR tonight, I couldn't believe my ears.

Among other bizarre things, she claimed that WN does not do anticipatory cancellations like other airlines because they're committed to trying to get the passengers to their destinations. I think most of us here on FT with experience with WN would say the opposite was true. They cancel way MORE than the others, and I believe they did that last week as well.

She further claimed that there were no personnel issues. This, despite that memo that's been circulating from DEN, and corporate's own claims to the contrary.

Virtually everything she said was completely wrong, at least based on my knowledge and experience. Surely the union president can't be that ignorant of operations? Is she just lying for some reason? I can't figure out why--the only thing she said that sounded correct was that this was management's fault. Honestly, my jaw kept dropping lower the longer she spoke.

And in further tales of "expert" incompetence, CNN interviewed a self-styled travel expert today who made absolutely no sense at all. Just about anyone here on Flyertalk could have offered more knowledgeable commentary.
MSPeconomist, m907 and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
And they don’t scan bags so passengers literally have no idea if their bag is in New York or Los Angeles. .
That is not true. Every bag is scanned going onto the plane and coming off the plane. Anyone in the baggage area with a computer can tell you the last place your bag was scanned.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Silver lining post: A couple of weeks ago (pre-meltdown), I was pricing a business trip for the week of Jan. 9. Prices were outrageous, and got the BS "only two seats left!" message. So I thought, I'll check again later.

Just checked again, and fares are WAY down, and it seems like there is lots of availability. Maybe because of the WN stench right now?

And proactively: Yes I am still looking at WN because I am confident this sihtshow will be over then, and they have the only nonstops to where I have to go. And if things are still tits up by then, I'll cancel or rebook on someone else.
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.