Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List and flying standby vs. same day change.

A-List and flying standby vs. same day change.

Old Aug 14, 23, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
Thanks for the verification - for a long time there, I was definitely flying on force-changed flights 90% of the time - I must have been availing myself of that policy without thinking about it.

Using the phrase 'same city pairs' instead of 'same airports' does seem to imply that coterminals might be interchangeable in some situations - California, perhaps? - but I can't really complain. It's a great benefit, even without coterminal access.
Same city should include airports which are in the same city, like HOU/IAH and MDW/ORD, but it doesn't, at least until someone sues over it.
synergistic likes this.
Old Oct 3, 23, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I was doing some research on this benefit and saw this in the fine print for A-List tier benefits:

"As an A-List Member, you will enjoy same-day change and same-day standby benefits free of airline charges. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers, gift cards, or flight credits, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points."

Disappointed I didn't know this before since I paid for this particular flight with points long ago when it was dirt cheap from the 50% off sale (I think cash price was $96). I might want to change it to earlier in the day (but not sure yet) so I just upgraded to WGA+ (around $200) before it goes up even more. Some flights this day are already $300+. Confusing to me how it advertises SDC as an A-List benefit but you have to go to the fine print of each tier to see it doesn't work on points reservations.

Anyone else have this experience?
Old Oct 3, 23, 5:34 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Marko123
I was doing some research on this benefit and saw this in the fine print for A-List tier benefits:

"As an A-List Member, you will enjoy … same-day change and same-day standby benefits free of airline charges. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers, gift cards, or flight credits, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points."

Disappointed I didn't know this before since I paid for this particular flight with points long ago when it was dirt cheap from the 50% off sale (I think cash price was $96). I might want to change it to earlier in the day (but not sure yet) so I just upgraded to WGA+ (around $200) before it goes up even more. Some flights this day are already $300+. Confusing to me how it advertises SDC as an A-List benefit but you have to go to the fine print of each tier to see it doesn't work on points reservations.

Anyone else have this experience?
A-list SDC works on both paid and reward flights. Similarly, if you buy a WGA+ fare with points or with dollars, you can SDC. I'm not sure exactly where you took your quotes from, however the "qualifying flights" sentence is typically the rule related to flights that qualify to count towards the 25 flights needed to obtain A-list in a calendar year. While we have seen limited time promotions that count reward flights to qualify for A-list, the rules have typically been as quoted above.

(The second sentence in your quote is not a restriction on the first sentence. Hopefully there was more to the paragraph you found than just those two sentences.)
chessman likes this.

Last edited by oceanbreeez; Oct 3, 23 at 5:41 pm
Old Oct 4, 23, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
A-list SDC works on both paid and reward flights. Similarly, if you buy a WGA+ fare with points or with dollars, you can SDC. I'm not sure exactly where you took your quotes from, however the "qualifying flights" sentence is typically the rule related to flights that qualify to count towards the 25 flights needed to obtain A-list in a calendar year. While we have seen limited time promotions that count reward flights to qualify for A-list, the rules have typically been as quoted above.

(The second sentence in your quote is not a restriction on the first sentence. Hopefully there was more to the paragraph you found than just those two sentences.)
Reading another time I probably have this wrong. It's probably just talking about qualifying flights for the 25% earning bonus. Below is the full quote from this page:https://www.southwest.com/help/rapid...-rewards-tiers

"As an A-List Member, you will enjoy Priority Lanes and Express Lanes (where available), a dedicated A-List phone line, reserved check-in, a 25% earning bonus on all qualifying Southwest flights, and same-day change and same-day standby benefits free of airline charges. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers, gift cards, or flight credits, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points."

So it looks like I just blew 6k points upgrading to WGA+ when I didn't have to
Old Oct 4, 23, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Do you have to call to get confirmed to a different flight as an a lister, or is that now available on the app/website?
Old Oct 4, 23, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Juanefny
Do you have to call to get confirmed to a different flight as an a lister, or is that now available on the app/website?
Can be done on app/website
Juanefny likes this.
Old Oct 12, 23, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Can be done on app/website
I missed this enhancement. This is awesome!
Old Oct 19, 23, 4:58 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/A-List Preferred; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
I was just reviewing the recently-released Rapid Rewards Updates for 2024 and noticed in the fine print that WGA fares are no longer eligible for SDC as an A-List or A-List Preferred member. Has this always been the case? I know I've used SDC with WGA fares before.

"On the day of travel, you can switch free of airline charges to another flight with space available departing on the same calendar day between the same origin airport and destination airport as your original flight. Wanna Get Away fares are not eligible for free same-day change"

Considering WGA+ fares already qualify for SDC what is the point (no pun intended) in striving for A-List or Preferred status?
Juanefny likes this.
Old Oct 19, 23, 5:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Wow! I think that went over everyone's heads...
Old Oct 19, 23, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A+, CLEAR, Covid-19
Oh no! @swaMark- is this true?

We were waiting for the Fine Print(s), I guess this is one of them
Old Oct 19, 23, 5:55 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flipfloppilot
I was just reviewing the recently-released Rapid Rewards Updates for 2024 and noticed in the fine print that WGA fares are no longer eligible for SDC as an A-List or A-List Preferred member. Has this always been the case? I know I've used SDC with WGA fares before.

"On the day of travel, you can switch free of airline charges to another flight with space available departing on the same calendar day between the same origin airport and destination airport as your original flight. Wanna Get Away fares are not eligible for free same-day change"

Considering WGA+ fares already qualify for SDC what is the point (no pun intended) in striving for A-List or Preferred status?

SWAVictor swaMark Guidance please! Can you confirm that A-List is losing Same Day Confirmed on WGA fares as stated under the A-List footnote? Or was someone just careless and put the generic SDC (non AL) rules under the A-List footnote. Obviously, major disappointment in Southwest if that is the case, but I'm hopeful it's just poor editing. If correct, what about 2024 WGA fares already purchased under the current rules and benefits?
kennycrudup and joshua362 like this.
Old Oct 19, 23, 6:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Hanlon's Razor says this is a clerical error by an underinformed employee. Given that members would notice this immediately and raise a fuss, a stealth announcement would be grossly incompetent.

Another possibility is that this change was considered at some point in the product planning, then accidentally not deleted in the roll-out.

Quickly identifying these errors is an important way in which FlyerTalk helps travel companies improve their service.
Old Oct 19, 23, 8:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
That language was copied and pasted from the non A-list terms at https://www.southwest.com/airfare-types-benefits/

I rest my case.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 23, 12:04 pm

I went ahead and looked southwest.com on the website way back and looked at the Alist benefits page that existed on January 2023. This language was not on the Alist page back then, but it is now.

As the person who found this pointed out, WGA+ fares already include this as a benefit, so whats the point of Alist.
Old Oct 20, 23, 8:49 pm
Company Representative, Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
SWAVictor swaMark Guidance please! Can you confirm that A-List is losing Same Day Confirmed on WGA fares as stated under the A-List footnote? Or was someone just careless and put the generic SDC (non AL) rules under the A-List footnote. Obviously, major disappointment in Southwest if that is the case, but I'm hopeful it's just poor editing. If correct, what about 2024 WGA fares already purchased under the current rules and benefits?
Hi All - I checked with our Managing Director of Loyalty and confirmed there was no intended change to the WGA and Tier Same Day Change Policy with this announcement - for either the current years program or the upcoming 2024 improvements which were announced. This footnote and copy will be reworked with the team to reduce any confusion.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for bringing it to our attention. As a proud ALP myself, I really enjoy this benefit when flying revenue and plans change. Im so glad to hear you enjoy it as well!

As always, thank you so much for your support of Southwest. Hope to see you flying with us soon!
Gar1P, Marko123, chessman and 8 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.