Question for Southwest Staff at LAS.

Old Nov 18, 22, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Question for Southwest Staff at LAS.

On another forum discussing ApplePay the following story came up:
A while ago I was flying SouthWest through LAS and their systems went down. People with mobile boarding passes could not board, but those with paper boarding pass could. That is why I always carry my paper boarding pass.
I was curious if someone could verify the story and explain what actually happened. I cannot understand how having a paper boarding pass would work differently for reconciliation (if one is either typing the letter/position into the computer or checking the Letter/position or name off a printed list, one can do that from a paper boarding pass or a mobile one just as easily).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by majortom; Nov 19, 22 at 9:40 am
Old Nov 18, 22, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
They can LOOK at a paper pass and decide if the person should board.

Looking at a scan code is of no value to a human
Old Nov 18, 22, 12:42 pm

An airline dispatching a flight with those holding paper BPs only is all but unthinkable. The anecdote needs substantiation.

"A few while ago..." is not a reassuring preface.
Old Nov 18, 22, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Happened once when we had to stop somewhere different because of weather. Those of us with Paper Passes were able to reboard while electronic had to wait while they looked them up. But plane did not leave until everyone was on.
Old Nov 19, 22, 8:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Had similar happen to me at BNA somewhere around 2015. They told everyone to find a customer service or gate agent to get your boarding pass printed out because that part of their scanning system had gone down.

Given WN’s IT system is slapdash even by broader airline IT system standards, I didn’t feel the need to ponder over it too much.
Old Nov 19, 22, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM Hyatt Globalist (Lifetime) AA ExPlat (real), Lifetime UniClub (not from the 2MM).
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
They can LOOK at a paper pass and decide if the person should board.

Looking at a scan code is of no value to a human
All the mobile boarding passes I have seen include a human readable version with the same data, so that would not be an issue.
Old Nov 19, 22, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
All the mobile boarding passes I have seen include a human readable version with the same data, so that would not be an issue.
it depends on how it is.

if someone save it as an image file on their phone they wont need 8nternet access if it went down. Many still are accessing it via internet connectionif internet goes down they are SOL
Old Nov 20, 22, 11:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
One should always save images IMO.

BTW, a similar tip, if you use the Starbucks app and have a prepaid balance to use, you can take a screenshot of payment/balance screen to send it to others to use at the store, the static image works. Helpful when someone offers to bring back coffee. I get a lot of Starbucks gift cards lately.
radiolarian likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:51 am

For good or for bad - I still print out a boarding pass even though I have it on my app. A just in case backup. I'd my phone breaks or is out of juice I atleast board without causing any delays. Old school yes but just doesn't hurt I guess.

Search this Thread