Search

Advance request VDB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Advance request VDB

Last week I had a new-to-me experience. Southwest called me, saying that they had more pax than they would like on my transcon flight two days in the future. They offered me a $400 LUV voucher to change to another time or date. So I rescheduled my trip. Win-win.
m907, jmw, dmbolp and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:00 am

SWA, call me!! 867-5309
WittyName, m907, jmw and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by nsx
They offered me a $400 LUV voucher to change to another time or date. So I rescheduled my trip. Win-win.
To be "added to the volunteer list" should flush out out a range of alternate flights. And dynamic comp levels.

Oversold means there's a way to milk this. Accepting $400 doesn't mean they pledge not to up the ante.

Or did they?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Gonna guess they would have no problem finding a few at $400.

All seems rather strange... but I guess it can happen.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
To be "added to the volunteer list" should flush out out a range of alternate flights. And dynamic comp levels.

Oversold means there's a way to milk this. Accepting $400 doesn't mean they pledge not to up the ante.

Or did they?
I mentioned a December 2021 offer of $1200 at the airport but I got the distinct impression that this time it was $400 take it or leave it.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:40 pm

Got $1200 plus the cash equivalent of the original points fare very recently for what turned out to be a 2-3 hour delay over original arrival time. No complaints.
nsx likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Dealing with this 2 days before flight should not be compared to what happens as the flight is about to leave with no room for everyone

VERY DIFFERENT SITUATION
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:32 am

I thought WN stopped overbooking flights a few years ago. Am I wrong? I would think it's just IRROPS, but that wouldn't likely apply two days before the flight. I suppose they could know about future cancellations a couple of days before a flight if they are having mechanical issues with a plane or staffing problems.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:40 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zachary
I thought WN stopped overbooking flights a few years ago. Am I wrong? I would think it's just IRROPS, but that wouldn't likely apply two days before the flight. I suppose they could know about future cancellations a couple of days before a flight if they are having mechanical issues with a plane or staffing problems.
It could have been a planned change from an 800 to a 700
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:49 am

This flight's profile may have triggered some auto-generated "volunteer list." The yield management algorithm for no-shows and cancellations minimizes oversells and undersells.

Making changes to its passengers' flights without their approval generated really bad press.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I suspect they called nsx because of his "internal" ratings profile as well (as a positive), but I am doing pure speculation. I mean, you have to decide some type of order to get your candidates.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
I suspect they called nsx because of his "internal" ratings profile as well (as a positive), but I am doing pure speculation. I mean, you have to decide some type of order to get your candidates.
Deprived of a matching testimonial, you're probably right.

I am shocked and appalled. /s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.