Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour check in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
24 hour check in

Another boarding position thread. But I don't fly much anymore, so this is still kind of new to me.
5:05a flight STL-ATL. So there is no previous connecting flight from any city.
Checked in exactly 24 hours in advance. Position: B-19.

I simply don't believe that 78 people have some kind of priority status, or beat me to the punch 24 hours in advance at 5:00 in the morning. I don't believe it.

What other explanation is there? Is this like a concert ticket situation, where they hold out a huge chunk for future priority people to check in? There has to be some explanation. I just don't believe that this many people are up at 5:00 in the morning.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Another boarding position thread. But I don't fly much anymore, so this is still kind of new to me.

I simply don't believe that 78 people have some kind of priority status, or beat me to the punch 24 hours in advance at 5:00 in the morning. I don't believe it.

What other explanation is there? Is this like a concert ticket situation, where they hold out a huge chunk for future priority people to check in? There has to be some explanation. I just don't believe that this many people are up at 5:00 in the morning.
It's 63 people with priority ahead of you (A1-15 doesn't count). So those 63 people consist of:

A-List +
A-List
Pax on same reservation with any of the above
EBCI
Those without status who also checked in at T-24, but before you

Looks like only 7 unsold seats, so pretty full flight when you checked in
Tanic likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:39 am

And I'd bet the EBCI count is relatively-high on a 5am flight; Pax who don't want to wake up at 5am just to check-in
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:52 am

And a couple relatively-new benefits this year that also get ahead of you:

Anytime fare bucket now comes with EBCI

Chase SW Plus credit card now comes with 2 free EBCI, which will drive up the EBCI count
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
One more group not listed includes companion. Anyone that has Alist, ebci, etc with a companion - that companion gets boarding next to the paid person.

Sorry, there is no back room tom foolery or conspiracy.

Lots of other people were hitting the checkin just like you.

And, as mentioned above, lots of ways for others to get seats BEFORE you hit the button.

We got some C boardings recently at T-24
TGarza likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the various input. A-1 through A-15 actually supports part of my assumption: some seats are held back so priority between now and boarding can be slotted in. I just wondered whether it's more than 15. I still wonder.....

I think the first responder got it mostly correct that various categories add up to close to 63. I simply don't believe, unless someone shows me direct evidence, that more than a handful of people (3-4 at most) beat me to the punch when I was on top of it 24 hours in advance at 5 in the morning.

Speaking of A-1 through A-15 and the fact you can buy your way in there: what if more than 15 people buy that? Do they just give out A-15 over and over again?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:00 am

I simply don't believe, unless someone shows me direct evidence, that more than a handful of people (3-4 at most) beat me to the punch when I was on top of it 24 hours in advance at 5 in the morning.

Speaking of A-1 through A-15 and the fact you can buy your way in there: what if more than 15 people buy that? Do they just give out A-15 over and over again?
Whether you believe it or not is immaterial. Simple facts, as outlined above. And only 15 slots are available for BS or upgraded boarding. When they're full, no more are available.
NextTrip and TGarza like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Whether you believe it or not is immaterial. Simple facts, as outlined above.
You have no facts as to who did or did not check in before me. Those are proprietary to Southwest. Unless shown FACTS otherwise, I will believe what's logical.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:21 am

You could very well have been the very first manual check-in this morning, and still all the T-36 auto check-ins listed above pushed you to B-19. For a full flight that is pretty good. Rarely is a non-status manual check-in gonna get you an A boarding on a full flight.
TGarza likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
You could very well have been the very first manual check-in this morning, and still all the T-36 auto check-ins listed above pushed you to B-19. For a full flight that is pretty good. Rarely is a non-status manual check-in gonna get you an A boarding on a full flight.

Now this is quite logical. I would wonder if you're Leonard Nimoy, but he is unfortunately gone.

I have a very tight day in Atlanta so the hope was to get an aisle near the front. I want off ASAP. Maybe I'll just take the first middle I see. STL-ATL isn't too far and I will hopefully just fall asleep soon after buckled.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Ah grasshopper, I was once young, ambitious and foolish rushing into Atlanta for years. Remember you'll possibly have the Airtrain, baggage claim, the rental car train and legendary rush hour traffic to tangle with. A few rows back for comfort is unlikely to matter...
TGarza likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 28, 2022 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Ah grasshopper, I was once young, ambitious and foolish rushing into Atlanta for years. Remember you'll possibly have the Airtrain, baggage claim, the rental car train and legendary rush hour traffic to tangle with. A few rows back for comfort is unlikely to matter...

Yes, I have been in ATL many times. The only two differences will be if I get the closing doors of the AirTrain, versus the next one (5-10 minutes difference, minor), and who might get in front of me at the rental car counter (this can be interminable and maddening). This is not a "proceed directly to your car" reservation.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

you and a bunch others did too.

people pay the $40 fee for ECBI. Given the esrly time I see people paying for that more so than if this was an 8am flight.

it’s ordered by status levels
then those thst paid for ecbi
the sort involves fare amount besides clas of ticket and status
then those who tried check in right at T-24.

for A 1-15 you might have 2 person booked in that.

A16-60 and B1-18 woukd be ahead of you so that’s 45+18 or 63 people ahead of you.

in theory you could have a feeder aircraft leaving at 5 am ET to STL from say Indy.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:51 am

You have no facts as to who did or did not check in before me. Those are proprietary to Southwest. Unless shown FACTS otherwise, I will believe what's logical.
Fret as you wish, but as has been demonstrated ad nauseum in this forum and IRL, you're way down in the boarding priority order. Just accept this reality and move on, IMO.
Tanic, benfro6 and TGarza like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Thread reminds me of a story of one of the few times I flew Jet Blue...as a no status mere peasant needing overhead space I was excited that when I checked in I got "Boarding Group 2"...well, after pre boards, priority boarding, first class, extra time, active military, family boarding, Jet Blue credit card holders, expect mothers, left handed basket weavers, group 1...as "Group 2" I was literally one of the last 10 people to board!
dc2, radiolarian and TGarza like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.