Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN Getting Dragged on Twitter for Ukulele Promotion

Old Sep 21, 22, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald

One Mile at a Time

The Stuff of Nightmares

What think you, WN loyalists? Would getting a free ukulele on a Hawaii flight surprise, delight you, and fill you with LUV, or would it irritate the crap out of you like so many are writing on Twitter?

I'd rather my flight not come with FA comedy routines, heartwarming wedding announcements, "popup concerts," and Ukulele lessons, but that's just me. Perhaps a free ukulele could be considered a FF benefit of Rapid Rewards.
Old Sep 21, 22, 8:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Going there, presumably on vacation and in vaca/party mode, I likely wouldn't have minded or begrudged the others to have fun, maybe I'd play along being mildly amused.

On a return, tied, hungover, and needing sleep, very, very irritating for sure but would tolerate and try to ignore.

Attitude and alcohol matters...
FMDXR likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 21, 22 at 9:31 am
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Life is short and lots of negative stuff.

I love a FA comedy routine.
Love wedding announcements
Pop up concerts are awesome

Keep it coming!

/signed : Have two cancers right and looking to enjoy as much as possible in life.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Going there, presumably on vacation and in vaca/party mode, I likely wouldn't have minded or begrudged the others to have fun, maybe I'd play along being mildly amused.

On a return, tied, hungover, and needing sleep, very, very irritating for sure but would tolerate and ignore.

Attitude and alcohol matters...
A few commenters made the point that now they get to pay WN to check them on the way back and that they shoukd have been given out on the return flight, but you make a good point!
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Twitter is not real life.
Cledaybuck, screeton, m907 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 7:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have yet to read a complaint online or on Twitter from anyone who was actually on the flight.

I am not a huge WN fan, but I can see this as a fun distraction on a long flight.

I recall being on a Southwest flight on Christmas Eve to Las Vegas. The drinks were free, and the Flight Attendants were running gambling pools. It was quite a festive flight that went by really quickly.
smmrfld likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 8:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
I'd rather my flight not come with FA comedy routines, heartwarming wedding announcements, "popup concerts," and Ukulele lessons, but that's just me.
It's just you.

Here on FT we live for free stuff, useless or not.!
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:51 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
I would have liked a free uke
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Twitter is not real life.
Thank God!
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
A few commenters made the point that now they get to pay WN to check them on the way back and that they shoukd have been given out on the return flight, but you make a good point!
Why would they have to pay?
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I have to say this would annoy me to no end. I don't want to hear caterwauling, children crying, adults arguing, music being played so loud that it's audible across the aisle through the headphones, video games being played without headphones, or pretty much anything else outside of low murmurs of conversation on a flight. I see it as a matter of common courtesy, not everyone wants to join the reindeer games. People might not feel well (migraine, toothache, recently broken bone, etc.) or want to sleep. If they want to have ukulele flights, fine, but they should be clearly indicated in the booking process so that people can make alternate plans if they'd prefer.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Why would they have to pay?
Because most of the commenters and blogs didn't actually know anything about SWA or what happened.

They got the Ukes, had a 20 minute lesson then the FAs asked everyone to put them away for the rest of the flight.
So as usual a bunch of uninformed people posting about something they don't know about hoping to get clicks ad revenue.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Annerk View Post
I have to say this would annoy me to no end. I don't want to hear caterwauling, children crying, adults arguing, music being played so loud that it's audible across the aisle through the headphones, video games being played without headphones, or pretty much anything else outside of low murmurs of conversation on a flight. I see it as a matter of common courtesy, not everyone wants to join the reindeer games. People might not feel well (migraine, toothache, recently broken bone, etc.) or want to sleep. If they want to have ukulele flights, fine, but they should be clearly indicated in the booking process so that people can make alternate plans if they'd prefer.
There's a difference between a plane-wide activity for 20 minutes and the random annoyances you're describing, on which I agree with you.
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
What do you do when your neighbor calls the cops because your party is too loud? Invite them to the party.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
There's a difference between a plane-wide activity for 20 minutes and the random annoyances you're describing, on which I agree with you.
I understand it's only 20 minutes, but I don't think disruptive behaviors should be encouraged on airplanes, and this does exactly that. Where does it end in the passenger's mind? I can play a ukulele so I can also play my trumpet? Or rehearse a talent show song?
nineworldseries likes this.

Search this Thread