Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel funds no longer expire!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I wonder how much was lost during the pandemic…..

Probably an embarrassment of riches to the extent they can feel like they can handle a hit to increase their reserve liability without effecting the bottom line to much. I imagine with the state of travel and reduced schedules unused funds have to be near an all time low.

Last edited by joshua362; Jul 28, 2022 at 10:22 am
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:13 am

whoa.

btw my wife and I we've usually got 2K of travel funds with various expiration dates that I'm always mentally shuffling around to optimize for non-expiry of said funds.

this makes my life so much easier.
DCABarry likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:15 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I have expired funds from May that I was going to have reinstated as a LUV voucher in November.

If I cancel a flight booked from the voucher, will the refund be converted to these new non-expiring travel funds?

———-

Update: just chatted with an agent and she confirmed that any flight cancelled from that voucher will be refunded to those non-expiring funds.

Last edited by ymx; Jul 28, 2022 at 10:41 am
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by ymx
I have expired funds from May that I was going to have reinstated as a LUV voucher in November.

If I cancel a flight booked from the voucher, will the refund be converted to these new non-expiring travel funds?
likely
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:52 am

Hmm -- with this new policy change the next logical step would be for Southwest to just implement a per-account "wallet" that could be used to pay for flights using accrued travel funds. Since there's no expiration anymore, all travel funds are basically fungible -- so there should not really be a need to select *which* travel fund(s) to apply to a flight.

I think I recall Virgin America having a similar thing back in the day -- and that was nice feature.

^ Suggestion for the eng/product teams there SWAVictor
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by AllThePants
Hmm -- with this new policy change the next logical step would be for Southwest to just implement a per-account "wallet" that could be used to pay for flights using accrued travel funds. Since there's no expiration anymore, all travel funds are basically fungible -- so there should not really be a need to select *which* travel fund(s) to apply to a flight.
Airtran had expiring credits but also had a wallet that automagically used the oldets funds to purchase a new ticket, no designating which ones to use.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Airtran had expiring credits but also had a wallet that automagically used the oldets funds to purchase a new ticket, no designating which ones to use.
Yeah - it's been trickier with southwest historically -- because of the whole "new travel inherits the earliest expiration date" policy.

Just yesterday - I booked a $400 flight with $300 in July travel funds + $100 in new money, I had another $25 fund that I had to explicitly *not* use because it had a March expiration, and I didn't want my $300 to take on that march date.

Now, with this new change, all that gaming / micro-optimizing is moot. Which is great! Because that previously consumed way too much of my mental bandwidth.

I'm sure the quants there modeled this out -- and although SWA will be out some amount of $ from breakage on the funds, and are carrying more ongoing liability on the books. But this makes for a wholly much better customer experience and reduces the friction to maintain brand loyalty.
dlaue and m907 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Franklin7777
Are Southwest LUV Vouchers® flight credits?No. A Southwest LUV Voucher is issued by Southwest® and can be applied toward a future flight. However, Southwest LUV Vouchers have an expiration date by which travel must be booked and flown. Additionally, Southwest LUV Vouchers cannot be applied toward government-imposed charges and fees.

Though I would assume once one books a ticket with it and then cancels, it becomes a travel fund.
This will be interesting. I have no TTF at present, but I have a LUV Voucher. Currently, the voucher value website is giving wonky results: it showed $0 even though it's still valid (confirmed by phone.)

If they come back as still expiring, then it seems obvious to book a dummy res and cancel it -- so they might as well treat LUV vouchers (and gift cards?) as non-expiring as well.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
So what we're thinking is that those of who have _expired_ travel funds can still request a LUV travel voucher till the end of December, which in turn will still expire at some point, but as long as we use _that_ to book a ticket and then cancel _that_ ticket, then it becomes unexpiring travel funds.

Whew, who's going to be the first one to test this? I have a small amount that before this announcement I was waiting till December to convert -- as I was expecting a LUV voucher good for another six months and that's the end of the road. Now it seems like I can rinse that to an unexpiring travel fund, which by applying to WGA+ itineraries I could transfer to someone else (currently one of the advantages of LUV vouchers as they are good for anyone).
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mile ho
But this has me a bit nervous.
The cynic in me agrees with you ... this seems too good and I wonder what the "other shoe" is?
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
While very customer friendly, this seems to be a rash decision without thinking everything thru. "No" expiration /at all/ means that in 20, 30 or 40 years time, the balance sheet will contain an evergrowing amount of outstanding credit risk. and the database of open tickets will steadily grow with it. At some point in time their accountants will push them to do something about this growing problem. Which will probably result in them limiting the validity to a fixed period again. And taking something away from your customers is never a good idea.

It would have been much smarter to put in an arbitrary limit from the start, say 25 years of validity. That would have sent out exactly the same signal to their customers, with everyone happy. But it would not have put an upper limit to both the credit risk and open ticket database size, which makes it by definition a manageable policy.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: LTP, PP
What about abandoned property / escheat laws? I too am surprised there isn't some upper limit. There has to be something internally in place eventually for systems and accounting purposes.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:17 am

They could simply impose a deadline on outstanding Travel Funds, like they once did on Drink Coupons.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I became the DP. I asked via Twitter (App chat is never available) with two funds that expired July 7th for a travel voucher to be issued. They said they'll let me know in 30 days via email. No mention of $100 penalty (as they are less than $100 each) so assume the policy still applies to re-issue at no cost. We'll see if the LUV voucher applies -- doesn't really matter because I'll just apply them to something and cancel to get unexpiring travel funds.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
They could simply impose a deadline on outstanding Travel Funds, like they once did on Drink Coupons.
They had a deadline on travel funds - one year. LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.